RC Qualifier

rpm axle carrier problem?

So I recently broke the front axle carriers on my merv and of course replaced them with rpm. My issue is they gripping the pillow balls way to tight and will make the suspension stick. They also barely let the wheels turn, its a struggle to turn them by hand even! Anyone else ever had this issue?
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

RC Competitor
    Did you apply some grease around the pillow balls? Also, if you over torque the pillow ball caps it will make it hard to pivot/turn. Loosen those up a bit if needed.
    "Custom" isn't changing stock parts w/aftermarket.

yeah I got them and had the same problem ii just applied some oil and losten them and it worked better but they will still be stiffer then normal axlecarriers I had a savox servo which was stronger and helped

RC Competitor
    I asked RPM how to set the pivot balls properly and they told me to tighten the screws in the caps until the pivot ball starts to bind in the carrier and to move the balls around to find the high and low spots since the pivot balls aren't perfectly round, then push the pivot ball towards the caps. They said it seats the caps against the screws.

If it get's too loose, keep repeating until the pivot ball stays bound up, then loosen the cap screws just a little, then push again to free up the balls. They said it isn't necessary to use grease and after I tried it like this, it worked without any binds!

RC Enthusiast
    Great thread thanks, I was just about to ask the same thing. The exact same problem with my steering, both my traxxas plastic servos cant turn the tires propely anymore. I have already loosened but never thought greasing or oiling would make a difference there...Also I will try setting it up how Whatthe4377 said. I never noticed an issue with suspension I will have to check that too.
    My plan is to upgrade to a Metal Gear Servo eventually, Savox was recommended to me.
    Edit: Do the RPM Axle carriers have a top and bottom, like are they side specific, or does it not matter? I noticed the molding is slightly different but not sure which way is proper.

RC Competitor
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner 250Greenmachine... RPM carriers are side specific since the tie rod (toe rod for the back) always goes behind the carrier and the tie rod link is offset on the carrier.

RPM is not the best brand for axle carriers. I read numerous popout problems. I prefer alu for that part. Happy with the GPM sets that I use in my 1/16 cars.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    Loosen the screws that secure the pillow balls about 1/2 a turn. that will leave a bit of space for the pillow balls to move without binding, Try to find the right balance so the balls dont get stuck or get too loose.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Rustler Brushed