Thread: Parallel lipos?

RC Enthusiast

Question Parallel lipos?

Will running lipos in parallel also double the "C" rate?

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    from my understanding running them in parallel only increases run time. I don't think it will double the C rating punch. just the MAH milliamp hours (run time).

Running it in series will double the C and amps... (will kill your esc if you try to push 4s lipo to it (2x 2s lipo)

I can never remember which one is which so I saved this image for easy id'ing

hope this helps!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Enthusiast
    I understand what series and parallel wiring will do for mah, but I'm trying to find out what it does for amp draw?

RC Enthusiast
    I guess my question more specific is, will running 2- 2000 mah 20C lipos in parallel give me 80 amp?

I'm not a battery expert but I believe If higher currents are needed one or more cells can be connected in parallel. Most battery chemistries allow parallel configurations with little side effect. The voltage remains the same but the current handling and runtime are increased.

Hope that helps
    "Drive it like you stole it"

RC Enthusiast
    Makes sense thanks nitro

RC Enthusiast
    I don't mind stopping to connect other batteries, I figure it gives the motor time to cool a bit but I see that this ESC runs at 52 amp and a single 2000 mah 20 C gives me 40 amp right? Is this going to be a problem?

RC Enthusiast
    I'm also not a fan of all these silly adapters, they just add more resistance

C rating is not affected by serial or parallel connections. When you know the specs of batteries, it works this way:

parallel: voltage stays the same, amps can be added up
    serial: voltage is added up, amps stay the same

Since energy is amps x voltage, that will stay the same for both.

Example:
    Using 2 x 2S batteries of 2000mAh 20C (means capability of delivering 40A)

parallel: 2S 4000mAh (80A)
    serial: 4S 2000mAh (40A)
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info Petertje60

RC Enthusiast
    So I've been running 2 - venom 2000 mah 20C lipos in parallel and the low voltage cut off kicks in before the second battery is depleted. When I disconnected the parallel adapter and run each battery individually I find one battery is dead but the other has almost a full charge. Very puzzled and confused, any thoughts on what's going on???

You should try to charge the bad battery and see how that performs when it's fully charged. I suspect that one has a bad cell or something like that.

This is the second or perhaps third current thread complaining about Venom batteries. I'm sensing a pattern here.

I'm not sure how one battery can be dead and the other not. Batteries in parallel should have equal voltage, i.e. must be balanced. That is part of the definition of cells in parallel. One possibility is a dead or very damaged cell. You should do your best to very quickly ascertain if a pack is unhealthy. If it is, then stop using it immediately and permanently.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-13-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Agreed on what ksb51rl said. Using a bad and good lipo together switched parallel could ruin your good lipo. Or give worse results.

RC Champion
    Running good and had together won't harm the good one, unless the good one would also be harmed by running on its own.
    Basicaly, the bad pack has one or more cells with very low capacity. Checking resting voltage will show normal, but under load the voltage drops past lvc. When run in parallel with a good packs the good pack is supplying everything, while the bad pack does nothing, but it does stay at the same voltage as the good pack. Basicaly it's no different than running just the good pack. Of course the bad pack will show dead after the run, but the good pack will be at tg same remaining capacity as it would have without the bad pack attached....
    Last edited by dacaur; 02-15-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    Dacaur