3.8 or 3.2 tires?!

Would you guys think 3.8 would be too big for a 8th scale setup? I'm debating between 3.2 and 3.8. Thanks for the help/advice in advance! I just installed the 8th combo into my slash. I know that'd be plenty of power but just wanted to hear from someone that's already done this....or someone that knows more on this subject than myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MaxxBash; 01-11-2017 at 06:16 PM.

3.8s are E/T-Maxx/Revo-sized tires, and would not work well if you were trying to race 1/8 scale.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Stick with 2.8s if you want to go big.

3.2 and 3.8 would require much axle, a-arm, and body mods and would probably still have temp issues.

You can put 2.8 tires on 3.2 wheels if you want...

What is your end goal? Monster truck with huge tires? Crawler with tall diameter wheel/tire?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

It's purely a bashing car. And scale look doesn't matter to me. I have my old style badlands on it now from my emaxx. They don't look too bad but I think the new badlands are bigger/wider than the old ones.....

Idk what my end goal is honestly. Just being adventurous and trying something I haven't done before. We have jumps, an asphalt drive way we race on, dirt during the summers and muddy clay during the wet winters. We also have a cabin in the mountains where there's snow right now. I guess I'm shooting for an all around bashing monster.
    Thinking of a body without fenders (inspired by your bodies squeegie) which would mean a lot less mess in the chassis.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    2.8s are going to be the best.... I put 3.8s on mt 2wd stampede, and while they looked pretty awesome, made it's handling really bad.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    so I just did a dry fit of my new 2.8s with badland mx tires, they are huge! going to be awesome once I get them mounted up for real

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Jimbo can I ask you what the total height is on those beautiful badlands?

Btw Thanks for the replies everyone!

2.8" Badlands MX28s have a diameter of 5.05" (128mm).

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...n-truck-tires/

Badlands MX28s and 2.8" Trenchers:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6243858
    Last edited by Squeegie; 01-12-2017 at 12:19 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I will take some more pics of my badland mx when I get home. But I would not run 3.2s or 3.8s.... for those worried about sidewall, the same is true with fullsize cars, you actually want the tire to absorb the impact, not transfer it to the hard wheels and bend them....

I also think cutting the tire, or cutting the wheel to stretch a tire is a dumb idea, but to each his own.

I run 2.8s on my 2650 4x4 rig. The single biggest issue that i've found is awful sidewall support. You can tape them or change out foams to eliminate growth, but running taller 1/8th buggy tires may work better....The issue I had was the 2.8's are far easier to tune with my shocks, vs Banditos on 17mm wheels. I run the 17mm Banditos on my 2wd slash with great results, I suspect due to less weight
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post

I also think cutting the tire, or cutting the wheel to stretch a tire is a dumb idea, but to each his own.
    One major reason is to stretch 2.8 tires on 3.2 wheels is to stop ballooning....tape is far easier.

In the comp world cut and shaved tires work wonders with correct foams, you would be shocked at what a pair of cut and glued Comp or super tires go for!
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    my 1/8th buggy knocklands actually balloon a bit, hence why I want wider, they become super squirelly at speed. the 1/8th scale slicks I have don't balloon much at all, they are just really tiny.... like 3.85" tall where a sct tire is 4"

From what I have gathered from people running the 2.8s on 2.8s, when tapped they are very stout.... I will be taping mine with the regular foams that came with them. not going to use the super heavy gorilla tape, just regular duct tape.

Should I tape, and get closed cell foams? Obviously, I already spent the $, so might as well do it right, if it is going to be that big a difference.....

Anyways, here is a 2.8" badland mx28 next to a bald, stock tire

Last edited by jimbo74; 01-13-2017 at 04:37 AM.

3.8 or 3.2 tires?!

I think this is the smallest of the 3.8 tires from proline.
    I think this might be the only set of tires that my emaxx and sl4sh can share....next set of tires are gonna either be badlands mx28 or trenchers for sl4sh.
    Here's some pictures for comparison. the little badlands are 2.8's from my sl2sh

Last edited by MaxxBash; 01-13-2017 at 08:01 AM.

If you can get a set of good foams, then tape and balance you will be shocked . The contact patch alone will give you incredible grip The lack of ballooning will allow you to steer at speed without hooking an edge

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

I'm surprised the diffs can take the strain of the larger tires.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I'm surprised the diffs can take the strain of the larger tires.
    That's the last thing I need to tweak with before I run her.....all the diffs. Need to clean out and reapply fluids. I have no idea as far as which diff does better with what fluid thickness. Any suggestions? And this is pure basher of that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcE View Post
    If you can get a set of good foams, then tape and balance you will be shocked . The contact patch alone will give you incredible grip The lack of ballooning will allow you to steer at speed without hooking an edge

Hang up and Drive
    Is a good set of foams considered solid foams? Like prolines? And steering with out hooking an edge is exactly what I am looking to do!

3.8 or 3.2 tires?!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    Is a good set of foams considered solid foams? Like prolines? And steering with out hooking an edge is exactly what I am looking to do!

I hear the new proline dual stage foams are great, but
    I prefer dual stage foams(CI Double Deuce) on my dedicated crawlers.Example is my 2.2 Super Swampers TSL XL . With stock proline foams traction was iffy at best. No side bite at all, just collapse. Switched out foams and profile stays solid, great traction and side bite, also stay on the wheels on 3s
    Height and width matching is critical, good foams can help stop ballooning

Hang up and Drive
    Last edited by MikeMcE; 01-13-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So I was about to order the closed cell foams, but it mentions only the mashers and the trenchers and says the foams are less than 4" tall..... not sure these are going to work with my badland mx as they are a little over 5" tall.....

looks like it is just goign to be tape.....

Eddie at CI sells tuning rings that increase diameter or width, depending on your tires

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    I think this is the smallest of the 3.8 tires from proline.
    I think this might be the only set of tires that my emaxx and sl4sh can share....next set of tires are gonna either be badlands mx28 or trenchers for sl4sh.
    Here's some pictures for comparison. the little badlands are 2.8's from my sl2sh

How tall are those

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymikes View Post
    How tall are those

Depends on which ones you are talking about. They range from the stock slash tires to 2.8 badlands and then 3.8 badlands. Then my emaxx tires which are also 3.8 I believe

RC Qualifier
    I suggest getting a set of Pro-Line Badlands MX28’s mounted on the Raid 6-lug wheels. 3.8’s are CrAzY huge and look cool and are fun to drive with for a little while until you realize your whole drivetrain is shot.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC Competitor
    This is my slash on 3.2. I think 3.8 will be to big

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

My P4de with 2.8ís stretched over 3.8ís. I like the look, but doing it again it go 3.2. The Slash is longer though.

This is what I did with my latest setup. These are 2.8 badlands mx28 stretched over 3.2 rpm revolvers. This is my first stretch job and I'm not too proud of it. I would certainly pay someone for a good balanced job.

Rig looks great!
    Can't wait to see it all finished up!

I miss my Bajr body...

I now just use proline 2.8 trenchers on their 2.8 wheels with 17mm hot racing hubs. I have had MIP axles for quite a while, but recently put in a HW max10 sct/3200 system and I run 3S, 7200mah SMC lipo for about 30 minutes of solid run time. I really like the 2.8 trenchers. Just enough rotational mass to make it interesting and have air control, but also enough sidewall to add some cushion to the landings.

Humble beginnings, got it used and it was in sorry shape:

And now:

I only have the tower to tower (T2T) brace there to give the hood and bed of the body some support so it doesn't buckle and break in the middle. I think I'm going to add a U to it so it holds up the roof some as well. Still, as it is, it holds up a lot better than without anything at all.
    Expert rigging at it's best!