Thread: Crash and ESC

RC Competitor

Question Crash and ESC

I thought I would just post this because I messed up the front bulk head bad and then I think blew my ESC will explain below.

I was out bashing at a local park that has a skate park and they have a walk way that has a walk way with drainage ditch / passage which provide a nice 4ft wide jump over cement into grass. Unfortunetly, I because I am currently in a wheel chair I couldnt position myself for a good angle on the jump. So as I approached the jump for around the 4th or 5th time, I missed judged my angle and hit the cement walkway / drainage ditch going around 40mph. I werecked the front bulk head and bent the front arm suspension and the blue bulk head tie.

I Saturday I was testing out a 19 pinion and 54 spur gear on cement and I think the ESC blew? Its weird because I am getting back spin on the front tires and front spin on the back tires. It blew on the blue connector as there is a clear black mark. I dont have pictures of that so I am not sure. I contacted Traxxas as I purchased it on December 15th so hopefully because it happened on January 14th they will honor the 30day warranty. Will keep this updated when I receive a response from them.

Never mind on the pictures as I am not allowed to post attachments yet.

RC Competitor
    OK I figured it out. Forgot to mention i messed up the front skid plate.

Here are the pictures. I also have a question, what is that little piece with the lock tite it came with the front bulk head and I couldn't figure out where it went? Its the last three pictures. I know when I crashed a piece flew off the ERBE I could not find maybe that was it?.

RC Enthusiast
    Hmm, I looked all over the exploded view on Traxxas' site and could find it. Haven't seen it before but it's been a while since I got into my front bulkhead / diff. Maybe I missed something... Check them out here - https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/E-...-Exploded-View

RC Competitor
    Thank You, I do not see it in there either, so my guess is front bulk head part # 5330 goes to more the one vehicle. So that part is used for other vehicles.... but I could be wrong.

Have you not installed the front diff the wrong way... Upside down?

That would explain why your wheels are turning in opposite directions. I think your ESC is fine.

EDIT: Sorry, just read you figured it out.

I may be wrong but the I think that plastic part sits on the diff to keep it in place in the bulkhead... It is not shown on exploded view.

I don't think it's really needed.
    Last edited by MITCH316; 01-17-2017 at 05:30 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    No no based on the blowup of the front bulk head the extra part that is included is not needed. I did not figure out the wheel turning. So you could be absolutely right I did not think of that. That very well may explain it. I will have to mess around with that, later today, and post the results. However I am still concerned about the black mark that is on the esc by the blue cord.

If your ESC blew you would know about it...flip your diff around and try your truck. See if it has loss of power, if not it's probably OK. Just keep an eye on temps running that gearing.

I'm running 20/62 on 6s with badlands...my temps get around 70*C with cool ESC.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Thank You, it will be interesting to see but, I have a feeling you are right on the upside down diff. Oppps. I cant really figure out why the esc would have a black char mark on the blue inlet as I am new to this I mean **** I probably installed the front diff upside down.

I'm sure we've all been there at sometime during our wrenching days just starting off... I'm guilty of installing the diff upside down myself a few times, it's how we learn.

Take a pic of those marks you are explaining... Trying to visualise it.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Well a "few times" now I do not feel as bad! Literally as soon as you suggested it was installed upside down I immediately went and tore it apart and flipped it over and sure enough "UP" is clearly printed on the diff. Put it all back together grabbed a pair of 3S batteries from the garage that I had not yet put into storage mode given the issues with what I thought was the ESC and out the door I went to see about loss of power. No Issues. Now to clarify my "No No" in post 6 was in reference to your edit that I now have figured it out. I don't want to get that misconstrued and I know I am going to need help until I figure this truck out completely, so did not want to offend.

So below is the picture of the ESC where it "blew" as you can see it goes into the adapter. I will note I have done a few minor changes with castle link like updating the voltage protection from 3.2 to 3.5, backward full power and I think I have 20% maybe 30% punch control, which is next to nothing but helps, and those are all the changes I can remember with castle link. I will add I did plug in the dragon slayer engine cooler into channel 5 as well before it blew... but did not have any issues on this short run. I did note the plugs were warm on this short run but I would imagine that is normal.

Mate, that looks like your ESC almost caught on fire. Maybe your ESC is running to hot. ESC is probably fine beside cosmetic damage if you've tested and seems OK.

19/54 is no good on 6s for bashing...maybe try 19/62 or 20/62. 19/58 will probably be better.

I've tried a heap of combos and finally settled on 20/62 as an all round gearing for 6S.

You may want to do the LST2 diff mod once you start stripping gears.

I've documented alot of diff mods and shimming in my thread.

Mitch316 eRevo rebuild
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    LoL That is what I am saying but it only ran for maybe tops 5 minutes, I sent the picture to the Traxxas rep who is handling my "case" to see if an RMA is even needed and i wont find out until later today as i am having a brochoscopy done! Yippie looking forward to having something jammed down my nose passed my voice box where I have to sing the letter EEEEEEEE to look at my lungs, and this is why I did not smoke because i knew procedures like this! Regardless I have been heavily entertaining the thought of doing the LST2 diff mod but I get a little nervous with modifying the bulkhead as my dremel skills are seriously lacking I am way better with a router table which is a little to big for this type of work. Plus like your profile picture I am in the same boat LoL!

RC Competitor
    BTW, I havent had the chance to really read your rebuild thread but will in the future here as it is on my list of things to do. Also, do you have the full rez image of your profile pic? Id like to share that with my wife!

Sorry mate...I found the pic and I modified it to look like that. I don't think I have it anymore.

Look through the thread when you get a chance, it may be of some help.

I have a number of build threads where I built the from the ground up... I wasted far to much money on this hobby.

I have a Summit, eRevo, Rally custom GT build and a Slash. All unique and modded in their own way. I had an eSlayer but gave the whole rig to a friend, he rebuilt it into an eRevo.

Currently I'm building a street rod from an eRevo... That is why I have revived my old thread. You should be able to find links to all my other builds through my eRevo thread if your interested.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    LOL I am brand new to this hobby, like December 25th 2016 and have already wasted far too much money on this hobby. Before, I even drove, tested did anything with my E-Revo on Christmas I spent the next 2 days upgrading parts RPM True Track rear A- Arms, RPM Front A-Arms, Anti-Sway bars and more upgrades. And that is when I first bought it! Then parts broke i burnt out the slippper clutch as I got used to that then it was well lets upgrade to the HR 6 disc one with carbon fiber Blah blah blah. But you know what, this car has helped me. I was diagnosed with a giant cell tumor back in 2011 blah blah then this past June it came back for the 3rd time so we were faced with a tough decision of what to do next which was do we chop the femur bone off and give me a internal prosthetic femur and a full knee replacement and that's what we did (I say we because a family is involved with this). Unfortunately, I had what amounts to 6 moths of setbacks between a fracture on September 2nd where the prosthetic meets the femur. Because of the fracture one of the screws backed out which I had removed on September 29th, and two weeks later I had a ragging infection so on October 19th we had to go back in and flush the entire site and replace all of the hardware except the two pieces of the spindle in my femur and the one in my tibia as he would either have to cut the femur bone off more to remove it as my bone incorporated it or fracture the tibia to remove that piece. Regardless, I have been in a wheel chair sense September 2nd and buying this E-Revo for Christmas was about the best thing we could have done. Aside from the tinkering we gearing, upgrading parts it has got me out more with the family going to different parks etc. as we like to and used to go outside all the time. In fact we went out to the skate park and if you think what happened in my first post is bad wait until you see my next post.

RC Competitor

Angry

Well here is the damage from tonight. I laughed out load so hard after it happened, because what else can I do? Sure I can be angry but heck I'm still learning how to drive and judge angles, and it does not help I am in a wheel chair. I have a friend that the only thing he does is go in circles with his E-Maxx and its like WHY? I want to have fun with this thing and thats not fun to me, lets take it off jumps see what happens if I break something so what I get to tinker with it and that is why I'm sure Traxxas just sells specific parts plus it makes the money from guys like us, but to each their own.

So Mitch as I was taking this apart it got me thinking about doing the LST2 Diff mod. However, I need a little more guidance as some times I get lost in the posts about it. What I need to know first and foremost is an exact parts list of what is required. I know there are assembled diff's out there but lets just start from a complete parts list of a broken down LST2 diff and other required parts, I would really appreciate it and it would be extremely helpful in doing this mod. I have included an image at the bottom of what I think would be a complete listing regardless I'm having a hard time seeing the exact part numbers (I apolagize as I can not credit who posted this as I lost the tab of the original thread). Additionally, will MIP CVDs work with the LST2 Diff mod? Because that is what I am running and have had ZERO issues with them.

So as it stands if I were to order strictly Traxxas replacement parts looking at about a 56$ accident not including shipping. Not to shabby given the carnage that is there on the table. However

Front End Damage

Front Bulk Head Pieces

Cracked Front Diff Housing

Sheared A-Arm Pin

Sorry to hear about your story mate.

Sounds like me... Hadn't had my truck long and I was wrenching it with hopped up parts.

The best thing for you is to study the first 5 pages of my thread... Pay special attention to the centre driveshafts mod (I think Kershaw sell an already modded part for this mod) and stub axle mod to connect your drive shafts...post 161 & post 162 has a parts list of what you need.

It's been so long since I did that mod.

Study the thread so you familiarise yourself with what you have to do. It aint to hard once you start. Good luck with it.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help, I apparently never responded, my apologies. Before, I do the LST2 mod I think I need to refine my driving as I'm sure if the most recent accident happened it would cost me a heck of a lot more than $56 for the traxxas parts.

Thanks to the advice on this forum I was able to understand what to upgrade. One thing that I learned is if make one thing bullet proof what is the next piece in the chain that isn't bullet proof that would break and does that piece cost more that the part I just made bullet proof etc..

If an aluminum front bulkhead is used, what pieces "up" the chain are most vulnerable in a crash? I used RPM front A-Arms, MIP CVD and Center Drive shafts Traxxas Aluminum push and tie rods.