Thread: Updated Summit?

RC poster

Updated Summit?

Guys,

I'm new to the forum and looking to pickup a Summit. I've heard rumour that Traxxas may have an updated Summit coming soon, but that might just be speculation. As I was perusing the inter webs and noticed lots of sites out of stock, I did stumble across something that's interesting on Tower Hobbies and RCScrewz websites. There are two stainless steel screw kits listed for the summit as follows:

- TRA036 Traxxas Summit Stainless Steel Screw Kit
    - TRA056 Traxxas Summit Extreme Terrain Stainless Steel Screw Kit

I emailed the manufacturer to ask what's different and was told that the difference between the screw kits is the internal / external roll cage and the amount of screws that is needed to assemble each one. I was unaware of any changes or updates so I asked for clarification on what that meant and was told that the 2.5 mm x 8 mm socket head screw count from one kit is 70 to another kitis 35 count and replaced with a 2.5 mm x 8 mm button head for the remainder of the 35 count. More intriguing was that I was told the chassis thickness changed which also changed the 4mm screw lengths.

Has anyone heard of this? Is there a new summit coming out and if not, would someone mind explaining how the changes and model numbers have progressed over the years as it sounds like the chassis has changed.

Right now I can only see two model numbers on retailers sites 56076-1 and 56076-4 with the 56076-1 being said to be discontinued and the 56076-4 being the current model. Was there ever a ’-2' or a '-3’?

2 or 3? Probably models which included nimh batteries, or lipo batteries or a battery charger. If any of theses are included it qualified as a different model and received its own model number.

New summit? I haven't heard a thing but I hope so. The Arma Nero / Big Block seemed to have copied the erevo/summit pretty well, with stronger diff locks.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC poster
    I just finished going through the exploded views and parts lists for 56067-1 and 56067-4 and the only major differences in the kit are as follows:

5353X - Wheel Hubs, Splined (17mm) - Blue Anodized w/(4) Wheel Nuts, Screw Pins and threadlock
    5353R - Wheel Hubs, Splined (17mm) - Red Anodized w/(4) Wheel Nuts, Screw Pins and threadlock

We know these parts with fit either summit and the rest of the updates was just to indicate the new batteries that Traxxas has released that will fit as well as remove the part numbers for the radio with the Docking Station and foam spacers that are now discontinued.

There was no mention of a different part number for the chassis as that has remained the same at 5622X in all parts lists and exploded diagrams back to the original 56076.

Hmmm.....Makes me really wonder if a new summit is coming

RC Racer
    I'd love to see a new Summit scaled up to the size of the X-Maxx. As it is, I think the Summit is near perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnybravo View Post
    I'd love to see a new Summit scaled up to the size of the X-Maxx. As it is, I think the Summit is near perfection.
    I'd like to see it scaled down to 1/10 to run on scaler comp courses.

But a MEGA SUMMIT would be kool also.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    I don't know, the 1/10 scaler groups around here are VERY anti-traxxas. I wish traxxas would make a dedicated 1/10th solid axle scaler that's off the charts awesome just to shut them up lol.
    rizzodtheRCvlogger - www.youtube.com/user/rizz0d

RC Racer
    The Summit is no competition rock crawler but it does everything pretty well, a jack-of-all trades kind of vehicle that can crawl or bash. I really like mine, a 1/10 comp solid axle crawler would be nice too, the Axial XR10 would fit that bill pretty well.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post

But a MEGA SUMMIT would be kool also.
    Yea big is good but not always. Just bought an X-Maxx and was kind of hoping it could crawl a bit but it's pretty hopeless. Snatchy throttle response and stiff suspension designed for big air just doesn't cut it in the rocks.

RC poster
    I've got an X-Maxx as well and find it way too big for where my son and I can bash. That's why I'm looking at the Summit, more of a do everything truck.

Thats what I was wondering. I dont have an xmaxx. But with its size and speed I can only imagine enjoying it in a park setting.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC poster
    It's a great truck, amazing engineering, but needs ALOT of real estate to run (like a football field). I just wish it was 1/10 or 1/8 scale size...so I'm selling it and looking at a Summit.

RC Racer
    You guys that are looking to buy a Summit, my advice is just do it! It is by far the most useable RC truck I have. Stock, it will run over 20 mph in high range, which is enough for mild bashing but I find playing in the rocks in low range is where this machine is really in it's element. It is also a blast when trailing, I drop it in low and it's completely happy to crawl along at a walking pace until I find something interesting to climb. Another plus is run time in low range, with Traxxas 7600 mAH lipos I can run for hours, haven't timed it yet but 2-3 hours on a full charge seems easily possible.

Agree about the X-Maxx, it has a much narrower performance envelope, drive train snatch and tricky on-off throttle response makes it a mess when trying to trail it or crawl in the rocks. It begs for wide open spaces with big air jumps where it can throw roost and act like a total hooligan. Different strokes kind of thing, get a Summit and you won't regret it!
    Last edited by Johnybravo; 01-18-2017 at 10:11 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks Johnybravo. Everyone I've talked to that has ever owned a Summit has said to 'BUY IT', so it must be a great truck. I'd really like to do the Dewalt Conversion as well to it and bump the torque and speed up a bit.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by craig32 View Post
    Thanks Johnybravo. Everyone I've talked to that has ever owned a Summit has said to 'BUY IT', so it must be a great truck. I'd really like to do the Dewalt Conversion as well to it and bump the torque and speed up a bit.
    Yes, I am super happy with the Summit, not sure yet about the big X-Maxx but am going to try the optional 12T pinion to get it geared way low for trailing. I'm not a big air guy yet, enjoy realistic driving and the Summit fills that bill perfectly!

RC poster
    Stock pinion on the X-Maxx I believe is 14T, so 12T won't make that much of a difference (10-15% reduction).

RC Racer
    Sorry, I got that wrong, smallest available pinion is 11T for X-Maxx, stock is 15T, almost 27% lower gearing, will reduce top speed from 30mph on 6s to 22 mph.

That should have an impact on the ability of Big Maxx to crawl to some degree. Also will try heavier diff oil and lighter shock oil with less spring preload plus try and find some sticky tires to fit my rims.
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

RC Qualifier
    From what little I've drove my summit so far after only having it for a few weeks I love it. Waiting for the snow to melt eventually and put it in the dirt. Its been in the rocks and snow and does really good. With the lockers on goes anyway so far. So far I've been very happy with it. Thought about the x maxx and glad I choose a summit instead.

RC Racer
    The Summit has exceeded my expectations, the jury is still out whether I can make the big Maxx do what I want it to do.

One thing for sure, the Maxx is huge, dwarfs the Summit in pure physical size.

RC Racer
    I have both an xmaxx and a summit and i love them both. But they are two different beast. Even though my summit has a mamba monster setup and its actually faster than the xmaxx there is no way it would come close to keeping up wit it on a track. Just not stable enough at speed. Im actually wanting to take my summit back to a brushed setup and make it a crawl master.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC Racer
    Ditto, no comparison between the two, the X-Maxx is fast and likes big air, the Summit is at home crawling over big rocks. I like both, just need to find somewhere to open the Big Maxx up and let it fly!

RC poster
    I have a traxxas summit that I love but I'm willing to trade for a x maxx? Anyone want to trade?

RC poster
    Good morning guys, I’m new to RC and just purchased a Summit last Thursday. I’m just curious to know what kind of upgrades if any, have you guys done to your Summit. I want to bulletproof mine but as I’m looking through the forum, everything is outdated so when I go to look for parts they’re discontinued. Any help would be greatly appreciated

RC Qualifier
    If you plan on keeping it a brushed motor summit for mostly crawling, there arenít many upgrades needed. Toe links and push rods, upgraded servo or servos. Not much more needed to make it right. The servo or servos are probably the best upgrade you can do.

RC poster
    I kinda wanna the best of both worlds but I’ll probably be doing more bashing than crawling

RC Racer
    Reverse the shock springs (front to back). Keep an extra pair of half shafts. Get a spare tire set for bashing and water, I run the Big Joes. Reason I say this, the Canyon AT's are AWESOME for crawling but can get small rips and holes in them easily and they don't do well in water. I own three of these beast and have one super modified for bashing. Looking back, If I only had one Summit I'd leave it pretty much stock and get a second vehicle for the hard core bashing. I love the E-Revo 2.0 and Rustler 4x4 for for that kind of stuff. JMO. Have a blast with the Summit!

RC poster
    Thanks for the helpful tips tankinfrank