RC poster

Lightbulb Took first flight, some questions I can't answer from instructions

My Traxxas Aton (3000mah) was delivered today. The first flight was awesome. Stayed in film mode. Very simple and fun. I used the return to home function by pressing button but it was also engaged automatically near the end of battery life. I have a few questions that I couldn't answer by reading through the owners manual. Thanks in advance!

1. Is it okay to charge the battery directly after flight or should I wait? If so, how long is recommended?
    Any downside to leaving the battery on the charger all day?

2. Can you put a 5000mah battery in my Aton?
    3. Is there any structural difference between the Aton and Aton Plus? All I'm seeing is a different gimbal and larger battery (obviously) and if I want to improve flight time, I'm thinking I'll buy a 5000mah and put it in this one.
    4. If I buy a 5000mah separately, is the stock charger supplied from the box appropriate? From what I can tell, the same charger is supplied for both. Or maybe is there a better charger, aftermarket or by Traxxas?

5. If my transmitter loses connection to the Aton while flying and there is no geofence limit, what will the Aton do? Immediately return to home? How will I know when the transmitter has regained connection?

Welcome to the forums!

#1: As long as the motors don't feel hot right after a flight, you should be fine without waiting honestly. I wouldn't leave the battery on the charger all day, the slight possible of a freak error happening does exist, and coming from someone that has seen lipo fires first hand, I wouldn't risk it. Unplug it once it's done charging.

#2: Yes, the 5000mah battery fits in the normal Aton just fine.

#3: No, they both use the same frame; they both use the same part # for it.

#4: The charger on your normal Aton should charge up a 5000 mah lipo just fine, although it may take a bit longer. If you'd like a faster charger, the EZ Peak charger from Traxxas is a nice unit.

#5: From my understanding it should attempt to return to home if connection is lost. I don't actually know how you tell, I never flew mine out of range.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-17-2017 at 12:35 AM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Qualifier
    1. Is it okay to charge the battery directly after flight or should I wait?
    If so, how long is recommended?
    You should wait until the battery is cool.

Any downside to leaving the battery on the charger all day?
    the charger stops charging once the cycle is complete, but it is always best to disconnect as soon as it is... better safe then sorry.

2. Can you put a 5000mah battery in my Aton?
    the Aton fly's with either battery, both are made for it.

3. Is there any structural difference between the Aton and Aton Plus? All I'm seeing is a different gimbal and larger battery (obviously) and if I want to improve flight time, I'm thinking I'll buy a 5000mah and put it in this one.
    the only difference between the Aton and Aton Plus is that one comes with a 2 axis motorized gimbal, and the other comes with a non motorized gimbal. the quads are the same.

4. If I buy a 5000mah separately, is the stock charger supplied from the box appropriate? From what I can tell, the same charger is supplied for both. Or maybe is there a better charger, aftermarket or by Traxxas?
    the chargers are ID. they auto detect which battery is connected and charge it accordingly.

5. If my transmitter loses connection to the Aton while flying and there is no geofence limit, what will the Aton do? Immediately return to home? How will I know when the transmitter has regained connection?
    the instruction manual warns against flying the Aton with any of its limits turned off. to do so, runs the risk of a "fly away".

edit: the manual also talks about the Aton going in to RTH when the battery is low and being operated without the geo fence. I couldn't find anything specifically dealing with it simply being out of transmitter range. if it flys far enough to run the battery low enough to initiate RTH, then in theory, I suppose it could? I just don't know how to answer that one either now?
    Last edited by spoonerrw; 01-17-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Competitor
    hello

1. Is it okay to charge the battery directly after flight or should I wait?
    If so, how long is recommended?
    You should wait two hours

RC Enthusiast
    To help with question #5.
    I have flown mine not 20ft away from me, had it hover, and took a batter out of the transmitter to test. The Aton iniated RTH immediately and landed. I have also flown it without a ceiling limit while taking video and hit out of transmitter range (confirmed via RTH beeps) and it too iniated RTH and landed.

Hope this helps ease your mind. I know it does mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2. Just so you know, there are two different Traxxas 5000mah batteries. One fits well and is meant for Aton, the other fits but is very snug.
    The model 2831 is made for Aton
    The model 2872 fits but it's tight

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    2. Just so you know, there are two different Traxxas 5000mah batteries. One fits well and is meant for Aton, the other fits but is very snug.
    Thank you for pointing that out Dave... I didn't know that either, and am planning to get one ordered this week.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba87 View Post
    To help with question #5.
    I have flown mine not 20ft away from me, had it hover, and took a batter out of the transmitter to test. The Aton iniated RTH immediately and landed. I have also flown it without a ceiling limit while taking video and hit out of transmitter range (confirmed via RTH beeps) and it too iniated RTH and landed.

Hope this helps ease your mind. I know it does mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Thanks for sharing... This is very good to know.

RC poster
    I see that one is 20C and the other is 25C. I did some reading and it looks like 25C will be not get as hot and ideally will last longer (the battery's capacity will not decrease as fast as the 20C). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

By the way, I appreciate all the replies. Immensely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out Dave... I didn't know that either, and am planning to get one ordered this week.
    No worries mate!

Quote Originally Posted by logankyte View Post
    I see that one is 20C and the other is 25C. I did some reading and it looks like 25C will be not get as hot and ideally will last longer (the battery's capacity will not decrease as fast as the 20C). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

By the way, I appreciate all the replies. Immensely helpful.
    Here's the three batteries Traxxas recommends
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...on?t=batteries

I went for 3 of the 4000mah for the higher C rating and the minor reduction in weight. Haven't tried a 5000mah yet.
    Last edited by Canuckvoip; 01-17-2017 at 05:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I went for 3 of the 4000mah for the higher C rating and the minor reduction in weight. Haven't tried a 5000mah yet.
    umm, yep... 4000mah, 25C... works for me too. I did a little searching, and picked up two of these at horizon for $60.99 each with free shipping.

thanks for that Dave.

No problem, enjoy!

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered these batteries less than two days ago from horizon... They came today! I am getting very anxious for better weather!!!

I know how you feel. Last 3 weeks have been snow/ice/cold. Now it won't stop raining!