RC poster

New Nitro Slash Owner

Hey Guys,
    Just got my new nitro SLASH and I have a few question. Im new to the sport and i have never had a RC anything before so forgive my ignorance. I bought a used Arrma Kraton and am having pretty good success minus breaking something almost everytime I go out and run it. The Slash is going to be an extra for me and my son to run/work on.

1st question:
    The book says to wait until 70degree weather to break in the car. How important is that? Friday is going to be 61degrees here in Joplin (southwest MO) and was the day I planned to break it in.

2nd question:
    As far as extra parts to keep on stock what would you have?

3rd question:
    What should be I consider upgrading first? What are the week parts?

4th question:
    After I break it in how important is it to consider the weather conditions to run it? Will it run in cold weather? Is there a temperature range you would want to stay in?

Like I said Im completely new and know nothing about RC cars minus what I have learned in the last month or so.

Thanks for you help,
    John
    Last edited by johndoins; 01-18-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Welcome!

1. It helps to have a good temperature but others have broken in the engine in cooler temps. The idea is to get the engine warmed up so that the piston and sleeve will wear together. It will help to put a quick squirt or two of WD-40 through the glow plug hole and turn the engine over before starting for the first time. In addition, it will help to warm up the engine with a heat gun or blow dryer.

2. The nitro Slash is not all that popular so you won't see a lot of forum traffic here. Across the board people break arms and such; though you could check out the Rustler section as the Slash is based off that and see what issues arise.

3. See #2. Many go with different tires to get more grip. Check out the Nitro Slash gallery at the top of the page. Once you get tuning down, go with a pull start and buy an inexpensive glow ignitor and remove the EZ Start.

4. It will run in cold weather though I don't run my nitro below 45. If you do, you'll need to cover the head so the engine maintains around 220 temperature.

I will add this: if you are new to nitro, there is a steep learning curve to tuning. Read the manual and if it came with a DVD watch that. Read up in the nitro engine section on how to tune. Then take the truck to a parking lot and spend an hour or so getting it down. You will get frustrated during this process, but when you come out on the other side knowing how to tune it is glorious!
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoins View Post

1st question:
    The book says to wait until 70degree weather to break in the car. How important is that? Friday is going to be 61degrees here in Joplin (southwest MO) and was the day I planned to break it in.

*You should be fine with that temp.

2nd question:
    As far as extra parts to keep on stock what would you have?

*Not sure I don't own a slash

3rd question:
    What should be I consider upgrading first? What are the week parts?

*Again don't own a slash

4th question:
    After I break it in how important is it to consider the weather conditions to run it? Will it run in cold weather? Is there a temperature range you would want to stay in?

*I run all my nitros all year round even in weather in the upper 30s if it's colder than that I usually don't want to go outside anyways. Lol. get a ir temp gun to monitor engine temps in all weather.

Like I said Im completely new and know nothing about RC cars minus what I have learned in the last month or so.

*Tuning is the big thing get that down and you will have a blast.

Thanks for you help,
    John
    Congrats on your new Slash
    "Drive it like you stole it"

I think the first things I would upgrade are the a-arms, tires, rear axle carriers, and front steering blocks/hubs

RC poster
    Welcome to the world of seriously overpowered 2wd fun! You're really going to enjoy that new nitro! Between me and my sons, we have a bunch of slashes, 2 of which are nitros.

I highly recommend:
    -rpm A arms front and rear (the rears are different than the electric 2wd slash so make sure you get right ones)
    -STRC hinge pin kit, and also a pair of STRC hardened steering block pins (forget what they are called0 which are not included in the kit
    -better tires to even attempt to put the power to the ground, if you run on grass or dirt I highly recommend proline badlands
    -get better shocks, I prefer the traxxas big bore and proline powerstroke. Stock shocks work fine but the caps rip off and shafts bend easily.
    -get a few spare air filter foams and change it at least every 1/2 to 3/4 gallon or more often if dusty conditions
    -get a hex drive hardware kit (or get a bunch of common sizes needed from hardware store-sizes used are listed in manual), and anytime you have to remove a phillips head screw, replace it with the same length hex drive. You will be very thankful for this after a few months lol I prefer the stainless because it doesn't rust and not that much more pricewise.
    There are many other upgrade parts, but honestly, since I've added these changes I almost never break stuff. Check the screws that hold the rear a-arm pivot blocks to the chassis, they loosen periodically.

As for break in and running temp, I live in Ohio and broke my first slash in with 30 degree temps out. I wrapped the head in an old sock and just followed the manual break in directions. I also ran it plenty in the snow when it wasn't deep or if it had hard layer of ice on top. It was my first nitro, I rarely tuned it, it just ran great all the time and I didn't know any better. I got about 6-7 gallons thru that motor over course of 2 years before it started giving me problems and I replaced it. But the problem wasn't the motor's fault, after 18 months of tune free easy fun running I decided to be cool and add an aluminum pipe. The silicone coupler got a small tear on the side facing the motor (so I couldn't see it and I attributed the louder sound to the new pipe) and after a month of frustrating tuning and it running lean periodically, I found the issue but it was too late. By golly she screamed as long as you stayed on throttle but wouldn't idle. My point here is that it is way overpowered already, just leave well enough alone and it'll take care of you. Also, I originally broke in and tuned it in cold weather, so it was rich in warm summer, but ran great, idled forever, never overheated, so I just mostly left it alone. I preferred leaving some hp on the table so I could leave the tuning screwdriver there too haha

Hope this helps, have fun!
    I'd rather lose with nitro than win with electric

RC poster
    Wow. Lots of good Advice thanks. I got almost all the way through my break in and I crashed it on my full throttle potion. Wow the power is crazy. Flipped it and broke a part on both tires. I don't know the name of the parts and the manual doesn't have a parts diagram. Where is the best place to find one? That way I know what I'm looking at. I think it's going to take a while for me to be able to speak RC lingo .

Quote Originally Posted by johndoins View Post
    I don't know the name of the parts and the manual doesn't have a parts diagram. Where is the best place to find one? That way I know what I'm looking at. I think it's going to take a while for me to be able to speak RC lingo .
    The truck should have come with the manual and exploded views. If you don't have the latter it can be found here: https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-tsm?t=support Just click on the part number in the diagram and it will take you to the buytraxxas site to purchase.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster

what should i do first

I got a traxxas slash fully stock about 1 1/2 weeks ago and I'm new. What exactly should i do in order to upgrade i can control it well and i read online and from my friends to save up for a new lipo battery and for a brusuhless moter but i don't know so what should i do in your guys opinion.

RC Competitor
    Offroader. Congrats on your recent slash purchase. But in your case asking about brushless and lipo's. You'll be better suited in the regular slash category. As you've posted your question in the nitro version of the slash herd.