Thread: tires

Question tires

are the stock tires any good or would I have to get new ones soon? I heard the water kills them but I don't plan on running in water. if I do have to get new tires which pro lines should I get?

I was thinks these- https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...tires-mounted/

RC Competitor
    Proline trenchers are the way to go. I don't have them but they have a nice tread and have seen good reviews for them. They are great for all-around bashing.
    Teton, rustler vxl, summit; what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by FierceSummit View Post
    Proline trenchers are the way to go. I don't have them but they have a nice tread and have seen good reviews for them. They are great for all-around bashing.
    These, right?
    https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...tires-mounted/

I saw a set of trenchers on a buddies truck (Savage XL) a long time ago. They seemed massive. Guessing he didn't have the 3.8X versions.

Pro-lines site says they are 6.5", which makes them a hair taller than the traxxas t-maxx 3.3 (I think) tires:
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 01-27-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

so should I run these badlands instead-

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...tires-mounted/
    SLAM!
    "That Tree jumped right in front of me"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcguy5 View Post
    are the stock tires any good or would I have to get new ones soon? I heard the water kills them but I don't plan on running in water. if I do have to get new tires which pro lines should I get?

I was thinks these- https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...tires-mounted/
    Don't get rid of those Canyons yet. I have the slingers, and trenchers they look and run nice but the stock Canyons are still the best for crawling.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

ok I would not throw them away. I aways use my old tires for projects.
    SLAM!
    "That Tree jumped right in front of me"

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Don't get rid of those Canyons yet. I have the slingers, and trenchers they look and run nice but the stock Canyons are still the best for crawling.
    I agree. Traxxas did a nice job making the stock Canyon AT tires. Perfect softness for climbing, sturdy enough for consistent 20mph runs (the maxx speed of the summit)
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Enthusiast
    This seemed like a good thread to pose this quandary.

I have now had my Summit for 2 weeks. I have not been gentile with it. I have pushed it to perform and determine its limits. At this time I have only done some light bashing, mostly in the snow; a bit of crawling on snow mounds (working on making snow chains); drove through a partially frozen skating rink (water test) & some driving on paved road.

After driving this weekend in single digit weather I noticed my tires had a "crunch" inside. I KNEW this was from driving in the water, slush & melting snow (after a run) and decided I need to try and squeeze out what water I could. Which was WAY more than one would figure!

While doing this I noticed tears on each tire; in varying places & in size. I am guessing this is commonplace, but was somewhat surprised that it seemed to happen so easily.
    Would I be correct to assume that the stock Canyon AT tires are more for crawling and dirt driving than pavement or blacktop?
    Would it be prudent to get another set of tires for different activities?
    And my biggest concern: will these eventually get bigger and require replacing? Or will they last for some time yet?
    Last edited by Praetorius; 02-06-2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typos
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone have input on how the Traxxas tires hold up? There are a few diff...

https://m.traxxas.com/products/model...&t=accessories

tires

Canyon AT tires can be repaired with any CA glue. It works quite well. The tires are rather soft and thin to better conform to uneven terrain. My favorite other tires for it were the original Pro-Line 40-series Trenchers on Tech 5 wheels, NOT the 3.8" Traxxas bead ones.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Canyon AT tires can be repaired with any CA glue. It works quite well. The tires are rather soft and thin to better conform to uneven terrain. My favorite other tires for it were the original Pro-Line 40-series Trenchers on Tech 5 wheels, NOT the 3.8" Traxxas bead ones.
    Thanks for the input/feedback/experience. I'm guessing the 'thick, rubber toughened' would be ideal for that purpose? Or extra thick...
    Before buying another set of tires (which I realize is an inevitable necessary evil) I want to be as informed & prepared as can be before purchasing yet another mod......THAT is how they get you��
    Last edited by Praetorius; 02-09-2017 at 01:26 AM.

I use regular thin CA glue. Any will work.

RC Racer
    The Canyons are great for crawling or trailing over difficult terrain. However, they do rip easy and if you run in water they fill up quick. Even though they take on water fast they are hard to drain and take forever to dry. I only run them in the dry stuff. When I know I'm gonna run in water or muddy conditions I use my set of Proline Big Joes. They have great traction when bashing on the ruff and fast stuff. The tire compound is a quite a bit stiffer than the Canyons. The Big Joes come with the wheels and tires pre drilled with drain holes. After a lot of running through water just give them a good squeeze and most of the water comes out. Let them sit with the tire holes on the bottom and they dry out pretty quick.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    The Canyons are great for crawling or trailing over difficult terrain. However, they do rip easy and if you run in water they fill up quick. Even though they take on water fast they are hard to drain and take forever to dry. I only run them in the dry stuff. When I know I'm gonna run in water or muddy conditions I use my set of Proline Big Joes. They have great traction when bashing on the ruff and fast stuff. The tire compound is a quite a bit stiffer than the Canyons. The Big Joes come with the wheels and tires pre drilled with drain holes. After a lot of running through water just give them a good squeeze and most of the water comes out. Let them sit with the tire holes on the bottom and they dry out pretty quick.
    Thanks for the input.
    Currently have Trencher X, Big Joe & Badland in the running...pros/cons anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorius View Post
    Thanks for the input.
    Currently have Trencher X, Big Joe & Badland in the running...pros/cons anyone?

All good tires. What are your plans? Do you speed? Bash and jump? Or crawl? Or a true mix?

badlands mostly for bashing and jumping, tread nor tire is designed to crawl.
    big joes mostly bashing, wide foot print makes it hard to maneuver tires on rocks precisely for rock climbing, also the tire is rather skinny and very little cushion for high jumps

Trenchers are your best all around tire from you group, Good for speed and bashing "ok" for crawling, Good cushioning and height for landing jumps.

personally for the summit I would and do run mudslingers, extra height qnd great grip for crawling, good siz3 and stability for bashing, jumps and trailing. Speed? Who really wants to go fast in a summit.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for the what's what on them tires. All good info.

Stock speed is plenty enough for me. I bought the Summit for bashing & crawling; also keeping snow in mind.
    I'm thinking of having 2 sets on hand and swapping for the intended play. Plan to keep the stock tires for crawling and another set for bashing/mudding. Currently leaning towards Trenchers or Mudslingers.

RC poster
    I've look in ebay and found that, those are 40-series but still they are 3.8 so i'm little confuse now

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pro-Line-Tren...oAAOSwEzxYRNpv

[QUOTE=RCMario;6356476]I've look in ebay and found that, those are 40-series but still they are 3.8 so i'm little confuse now

Allow me to confuse you more. 40 series tires can fit on 40 series rims and Traxxas 3.8 series rims, but Traxxas 3.8 series tires can fit on Traxxas 3.8 series rims but cant fit on 40 series rims.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

tires

Original Trencher tires fit 40-series wheels which have standard beads like the Tech 5. Trencher X tires fit the Desperado wheels which have the Traxxas-style beads. Both wheels are 3.8" but the beads and widths differ greatly.
    Something that significantly helped my set was that they were BEATEN by a friend on his ERBE prior to my ownership. That softened them and allowed them to better conform to rough / uneven surfaces.

RC Enthusiast
    All good info, thanks for sharing the advice.

Got CA glue on the way!

RC Competitor
    So I can buy mudslingers and mount them on a Traxxas 3.8 wheel???

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny85 View Post
    So I can buy mudslingers and mount them on a Traxxas 3.8 wheel???
    Yes

Or big joes
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    My favorite other tires for it were the original Pro-Line 40-series Trenchers on Tech 5 wheels.
    I'm asking this question for a friend. The Tech 5 wheels you speak of are the zero offset as seen here, https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...-black-wheels/ and there's no clearance problem?
    Tekin powered Summit

There are no clearance issues. Neither with the arms or with the body, which I have slammed lower than most, or with anything else.

RC Racer
    Thanks, ksb!
    Tekin powered Summit

If you have any more specific questions or areas of concern, I can get photos or videos for you.

RC Enthusiast
    For general bashing (as well as mudding & jumping) I am debating between TrencherX or Mudslinger. I'm sure there are fans of both, so I am curious how they hold up & if one has proven to be better than the other.

*I plan to keep the stock Canyon tires for crawling sessions*