RC poster

Motor help please. Can't find a thread for what I need.

So my son and I both have stampede xl-5's and he has burnt both our motors out playing in mostly dirty water. Traxxas said they would replace the two motors this time as the trucks are both less than a month old but they said they are normally not covered under warranty.
    So my question is, are the titans bad about burning up when playing in mud/water/wet dirt? They weren't submerged just played with when it was raining in the wet grass and a small puddle. I can get a vxl system for about $60 but I want to make sure the vxl motors are water proof. Browsing the web I can't find any new info regarding the vxl engine. I don't want to drop this much on a new truck if it is gunna do the same thing as the brushed motor.
    My son is all about playing in any water he sees so it is hard to keep him out of it. He is 4 so he also doesn't understand taking care and being careful (work in progress) I keep up with our trucks and cleaning them out after every run.

Please someone give me an answer the best way to go. Or should I save up and post a castle sidewinder on it? Which is the most waterproof and reliable in sandy dirt mud and water!!!! Thanks in advance.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The VXL system is waterproof. It will be way to fast for him to drive unless he's not an ordinary 4 year old. You can put it in training mode and it'll be waterproof and still much faster than the Titan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    What's happening with your titans is that mud and dirt is getting inside the motor and frying them up. The titans are water proof but not mud/debis proof. The way titans get mud and deris in them is because they are brushed motors and therefore have openings in them mainly to cool them down and throw out "spent" brush particles. Brushless motors don't need openings for cooling or throwing out debris so they are sealed tight thus not allowing debris to get in them and in turn lasting A LOT longer.

NOW to answer your question, a brushless system like the vxl would be a great choice to keep motors from burning up. You dont need to go out and buy a castle system or anything like that. I personally prefer the good'ol VXL systems!
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

RC poster
    Yes I was planning on running it in training mode cause he gets mad when it does wheelies cause he can't steer it. He doesn't care about speed he is most interested in getting it dirty in whatever he can drive it in. So waterproof/debris proof is my main goal. Thanks for the info

RC poster
    So the vxl is pretty safe for deep mud and water. Planning on getting the new motor tomorrow so I just want to make sure I'm not throwing my money away

RC Qualifier
    Oh yeah, worse case scenario the bearings go out and you can replace those. Ones last thing, It is HIGH not recommended you submerge any RC car into anything meaning water or mud.
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

RC poster
    So far I haven't seen any puddles he could submerge it in. He has hit a couple holes that covered at least half the motor but it didn't just marinate in it. Got it out in a timely manner since he can only drive it when I'm with him. Thanks for the input looks like he gets an upgrade tomorrow and imma have to keep waitin haha

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    i agree with invento, I also wouldn't recommend drowning your model, but if its not for long ur vxl will be fine. (if you don't mind replacing bearings and making sur eyou do a full clean down afterwards its a lot of fun)

while doing hydroplaning videos, I sank mine in a water pit a few times.... I had my nephew hold a fishing pole with the bail open tied to the bumper..... when I wouldn't make it across he would reel me in lol. as soon as get close to shore, can drive back no problem.

might wanna turn your volume down a little bit, some kids talking. lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4-7d7UUww
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC poster
    Yea I'm already pretty good at tearing them down and cleaning them completely. Was gunna go ahead and get a pack of replacement bearings cause that was one thing I read about these motors. Is there any type of break in that needs to happen with these?

RC poster
    Been looking at this upgrade myself. Don't forget, if you have the xl5, you will need the new each to go with the vxl. I saw you said $60 but, I think that just might be for the motor.

RC poster
    I'm pretty sure it is both. It isn't a brand new system though. The mechanic at my hobby shop said he has a couple brushless systems to include a vxl for cheaper. I trust the guy which is why I'm considering buying it. He only has the one vxl tho. So after I get my son running I'm going to get a castle sidewinder for mine I believe. I've heard they are waterproof also.

RC poster
    So I spoke with the hobby store guy. $65 for a vxl esc and a castle sidewinder motor. Installed and making sure everything is paired. Going to drop my sons truck off today. Hopefully he can come across another one of these deals in the future so I can hook mine up haha. But first gotta take care of my boy cause he enjoys it so much!!! Thanks for the help guys.