RC Enthusiast

2 speed emaxx geared for speed?

I am wondering if anyone has ever geared the 2 speed transmission high enough that first gear would be similar to a 19/68 pinion to spur on the 5.22 single transmission. I think it would be cool if possible to bash in first gear then just switch to second for high speed runs. Has anyone ever tried this?

Try it and see what happens. The worst thing that could happen is you couldn't get it to work.
    Better to die a man, than live like a girly-guy.

Or, just run a nitro trans and mechanical brakes. If you gear it tall enough for first gear to be similar to stock e-gearing, then second gear wouldn't be so harsh for it to shift into. Just run the slipper a little loose... or as loose as you can, so when it shifts, it's not slamming into 2nd.

You could also go with a trans with reverse as the OWB in the trans would make the reverse not work from the motor itself. That is, if reverse really mattered to you.

I've been bashing for 15+ years with nitro. Just got my first electric for Christmas. Reverse is a nuisance to me now. LOL! Half the time, I just want brake, but it takes off in reverse on me.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Enthusiast
    lol just did that yesterday reverse flip over. I did order the 2 speed tranny conversion kit should be here in a week or so. Ordered 28 tooth pinion and 58 tooth spur gear. first gear should be 58/28x8.43 giving me 17.46, which should be equivalent to 68/20x5.22 which is 17.74 which gave me right at 50mph but tons of fun off road. second gear will end up being 58/28x5.22 which is 10.81 so should get pretty interesting on a high speed run no idea what it will come out to though. according to the rc calculator using src terrain crushers at 5.75 inches should top out around 87 if my nerves last long enough to get it to that speed. So first says 54mph and second 87mph if this works I'm going to be really happy with this setup. I will repost how everything goes. Thanks for the input as well I will start it out with the slipper loose and let it take the damage if any occurs.

Also I used to race electric indoor tracks as a child and recently my younger cousin contacted me about a steel on an Emaxx so the past month I have had to completely re learn everything about these because of this new brushless system and Lipo batteries, this is totally different than the older units I was into 15 years ago. But they are very impressive so impressive that we are beginning a side project basically a steel tubed sand buggy setup with a rustler rear and front end and looking for the biggest 8s motor we can fit in it.

RC Racer
    Often wondered about this same scenario, keep us updated!
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole

RC Enthusiast
    Update - Transmission is rebuilt, put a spool gear in the rear, Still waiting on the steel drive shafts, pinion gear, and spur gear. They should be here tomorrow though. I may have to do make this a 2 wheel drive run after chipping a few teeth off my front ring gear in the diff if it doesn't make it here in time. Either way I should have an answer to this in the next day or two. My concerns are the plastic selector, if it doesn't hold up I know a machine shop I deal with regularly and I'm hoping that can mimic me one out of steel, but still may not even need one I just cant see it holding up to the mamba monster with this gearing.

RC Enthusiast
    going to have to wait till this weekend I ordered the wrong pitch pinion by mistake so I had to order another and I couldn't get the 24 tooth to mesh up, plus the servo for the transmission is crap so I ordered a Savox for that, all parts should be here Friday I hope. Truck will be geared 54/28 running 6s.

RC Enthusiast
    Test run confirmed that it indeed does work. Second gear got up to 71mph before I let off of it but it also decided to destroy my rear diff and the pinion gear threw out the set screw and cause the pinion to seize to the arbiter of my motor. Probably going to have to trash the motor but on the bright side it worked and worked good anyone have suggestions for stronger differentials and what is everyone's opinion on the 2650kv mamba motor?

This is an awesome idea. You got any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I didn't get a chance to take any videos it was a little hard to handle on a side street but once I get everything fixed back up I will try and get a video of just thrashing then going to a high speed run I didn't attempt to switch gears on the fly but it was really neat to see the difference between gears you kind of have to pay attention because the motor handles the higher gearing just as well as the low so in high gear the torque is unreal so you have to petal the throttle or you will lose control real quick

That's awesome. I am thinking about doing this to mine. Is there a kit out there?

RC Enthusiast
    Emaxx two speed conversion kit with some higher gearing and I highly suggest ordering a better micro servo I ordered the savox and it works real nice much faster and has all metal gearing. I suggest a 58/28 on gearing because the 54 tooth spur to 28 pinion is wicked fast but with the mamba monster it cannot be meshed properly because the Clearence between the motor and trans.

Anyone have suggestions for drop in differentials that are better than stock brushless emaxx diffs?

Thanks for the info. As far as diffs, I am looking for that answer too. I have to replace mine it seems about once a year

RC Enthusiast
    I worry the extra slop in the transmission is going to shock these to hard guess I will find out , I definitely wont b letting off the throttle.

RC Enthusiast
    So after installing a new mamba monster 2200kv and new diffs front and rear I took it out today and first gear is a really fun gear I will definitely be spending most of my time in first gear. Tons of power plenty of speed it adveraged around 50mph give or take a few depending on my driving. Second gear is definitely built for speed and people that know how to drive. Once you hit 60mph+ things begin to get interesting and the slightest bumps or overcorrections will send you spinning out of control if not rolling which I didn't I was able to hit over 70mph but never was i able to get it completely topped out I'd say I was 90% into it and let off. I wasn't able to video and drive at the same time so next time I'm out with friends I will take some videos to post.

My truck is an 3903
    2 speed transmission conversion
    Traxxas steel drive shafts
    Traxxas steel axle shafts
    17mm hub upgrade
    Src terrain crushers
    Single motor mount
    54 tooth steel spur gear
    28 tooth pinion which doesn't mesh up as much as I like so I have a 30 on the way
    Mxl-6s mamba monster 2200kv
    Traxxas tqi 3 channel receiver
    Traxxas telemetry.

It's been a fun build and is even more fun to drive now being able to rip off-road in first gear and scream on the pavement on long speed runs. She ain't pretty but she sure is fast.

Exciting post XXMCGRAWXX! Look forward to seeing those videos.

RC Enthusiast
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=Sp8tB-Jg35Y

Got it out in a local parking lot for a few minuets today.

Sounds like you hit 2nd at the very end.

RC Enthusiast

There was a couple of times I was in second during that but most the time I was in first I was wrecking it in second before I took the vid trying to get stopped before crashing into concrete the black top is beginning the take it out on those terrain crushers which I was surprised to see. I need more room to get it up to speed I bet I didn't get it over half throttle in second in that parking lot.

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-27-2017 at 10:41 PM.

RC Enthusiast

That thing is moving!

Might want to try turning your phone to the side before starting a recording. Then you'd have a nice wide picture vs the narrow one.

What did you end up doing to toughen up the diffs? I like the two speed tranny. I might do that. I have another build going on right now I'm focusing on

RC Enthusiast
    I put 2 brand new brushless emaxx diffs in which should've been exactly what I already had but considering I bought this truck use I don't know the damage it took prior too but I definitely broke it real good yesterday shortly after taking those videos. Broke 2 shocks, 2 bulk heads, lower A arm and the chassis. My daughter videoing for me thought it was funny lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=h7kkbkEzF20

Oh ok cool. And I always say if you don't break something it wasn't a successful bashin'! Haha and yea I messed up my mt slash yesterday pretty good. Ripped off my entire a arm and lost my springs. I was haulin down some stairs and caught a corner and bam. No more wheel attached. Wish I caught it on video!
    What did you caused the cartwheel?! Slight turn in a speed run?

RC Enthusiast
    Hit the brakes to hard

Ah man. That's crazy. Since the mamba is castle I would highly recommend adjusting the brakes. My maxx is at 25% (to prevent cartwheel stops) and the drag brake is at 15% I believe so when I let off the throttle it slows down gradually instead of immediate brake.

The castle adapter is only $20. Way worth it IMO

RC Enthusiast
    Do I need the castle adaptor since I have the Traxxas link app?

Oh....um I'm not sure. I've never used the traxxas link and telemetry stuff. My truck has it but I never got the link for the tx....

RC Enthusiast
    I got some pretty cool screen shots and I videos all of this in HD so I'm trying to figure out how to add pictures and also get the HD video uploaded its amazing how far it actually traveled flipping. Just glad I wasn't doing a speed run with my phone inside the truck to see how fast it was going haha that would've gotten interesting. I ended up ordering a "lot" of parts last night off eBay for a great deal so once those come in I can change everything out and will have a ton of spare parts on hand. I'm thinking performance build on this truck I'm pretty much done now it's just up to breaking things and upgrading. I am expecting a 30 tooth pinion in the mail today so it will go a little faster but I still haven't been able to get it completely maxed out and doubt I will be able to without changing suspension tires and aerodynamics then also doing all that I will be taking away from the fact that it is a truck not a car. It has definitely been a blast bringing this thing to life, wife doesn't think so but the kids do haha.

Traxxas link app will let me adjust how much brake I use but will not allow me to use it like an engine brake so far going to dig a little deeper.

Nice. My wife hates my rc cars. I've had 5 total. Have 3 currently. Gave one to my brother and pieced out the other. My maxx mt slash and the little slash for my son who just pushes it back and forth right now (he's 1 lol). It's fun upgrading and breaking. But it's a hobby. You're not gonna get anything out of it except joy and smiles. Enjoy! Get you're daughter one and it'll be hours of fun together! I wanna see those pictures.
    I've only done wot once and it scared me. I couldn't see it down the road. Gotta paint my next body super bright.

RC Enthusiast
    http://s1380.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/xXMCGRAWXx/slideshow/

The slide show is in reverse and I believe it works for all viewers but I couldn't get it to show individual photos yet just made the account

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    My wife hates my rc cars.
    That stinks. My wife bought me my ERBE for Christmas.

I tried letting her drive many years ago, 30 seconds in, she plowed into a chain link fence at WOT with my t-maxx. She handed the remote back with a "oh my god you spent so many hours fixing it last night" look on her face. She won't pick up a remote again. Might be easier explaining with the electric... tried getting her to tool around with the cat and my micro-t in the house, but she just likes watching the cats freak out.

She's glad I have a hobby.

You need to stop driving and posting videos of driving that puts the driver and/or videographer at risk of serious injury. This is dangerous behavior and as such is not permitted. Your videos are under review. I do not expect all to remain.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =