RC Competitor

Has anyone done custom vinyl for their Slash?

Looking to get some custom vinyl work done, but running into issues with a lot of shops being not able to print as small as I want.

Have any of you got custom vinyl stickers made for your Slash? Any recommendations on where to get it done?

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    depends on where you live, I would check with a shop that vector images and can apply the vinyl to the body.

(vectoring stickers or graphics is expensive)

this sticker sheet cost me 50$ its nice auto wrap material. I had my shop duplicate the traxxas sticker set. its not even the entire decal sheet, just bigfoot, traxxas, and the headlight flames.

they look good when done, but expensive.

(online people sell ready made wraps with limited selection of graphics)

edit: google "slash 4x4 wrap"
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Competitor
    I had a really cool vinyl made for my daughter's room, but that shop can only print down to 1.5" (which is ok for most of the graphics I want), but I'd like to get my name done to put over the Slash's windows, and that vinyl needs to be smaller than that.

I have a friend who is a graphic designer and can put something together for me, I just need a shop to print it.

RC Qualifier
    i work at a print shop that does vehicle wraps, signs, and all kinds of other printing. i have run a few sticker sheets for myself, but i was able to sneak them through production so i got them free (except for my time involved in design, and the lunch i had to buy the print-technician...). otherwise, $50 sounds about right for a 1ft x 2ft print with die-cut stickers. The issue is not that they can't print small, it's that they can't die-cut it that small using a typical sign vinyl-cutter. i had to at a 1/16 white lip around some of my logos, and make other logos into solid rectangles with the text inside. it can be done, but it's not easy, nor cheap. if you do go the custom sticker rout, i suggest getting at least one extra set. the additional cost will be less than if you need to go back again.

RC Qualifier
    Slash 4x4, E-Revo, Stampede 2wd (3 of them)

RC Qualifier
    find a sign shop that can print on to clear vinyl. then make the letters 1/8" tall and print on to a clear rectangle 1/4" tall. if they can't cut that small, then use Scissors. the smallest cut letters our guys will do is 1/4" tall, and they gripe and cry about it... i good technician can do smaller letters like 1/8", but it's hard to come by a shop with a technician who knows how to adjust the machine to do that.

RC Competitor
    Picking up my vinyl tonight. He did everything but the names (too small for him to print). $20. I'll post pics once I get the vinyl put on and the body painted.

RC Champion
    If you get a vinyl cutter you can create anything at home. Wife has one.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Qualifier
    Cricut. Look them up. Home vinyl cutters.

RC Competitor
    I think that's the one I saw an Amazon deal on a couple of days ago. It was about $200, but may be worth it with as many friends as I have that now have RC Cars.

RC Qualifier
    wow, under 300 for a vinyl cutter... no wonder we get undercut by the small guys all day... to get some really fancy stuff, you can print your design, then cut it on the vinyl cutter. I'm about to run a set of stickers too, so i will post up some pics next week.

RC Qualifier
    We're ordering the 349 kit today. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Is that the Explore Air 2 with everything kit? I was thinking of getting one for my wife for Valentine's Day.

Let us know how it works out for you.

If good, I'll probably get her one and use it for cutting vinyl for myself... Shhhh!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Doing some research, and it looks like the Silhouette Cameo (or their other products) are better than the Cricut for similar money. The Silhouette products print at a higher dpi (less blurry images) and have better, and less restrictive software.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAX7H78...CXTSV3H4&psc=1

The link above is the Cameo. There is also a Cameo 2 and a Cameo 3. Haven't researched the differences yet.

Now I have to convince the wife of how fun it would be to have one for her (wink) projects.
    Last edited by legacy11; 02-02-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Hopefully my wife would want one to re-energize her scrap booking!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Is that the Explore Air 2 with everything kit? I was thinking of getting one for my wife for Valentine's Day.

Let us know how it works out for you.

If good, I'll probably get her one and use it for cutting vinyl for myself... Shhhh!
    I'll let you know. It's ordered. I'll post a thread with a video when it gets here.

Thank you!

RC Competitor
    First sticker is on. The vinyl is an image of the Denver skyline. I have 2 more that will go on either side of the truck on the running board area.

A little bit closer view. I still need to smooth it out more and get rid of a couple of bubbles.

Last edited by legacy11; 02-03-2017 at 11:19 AM.

I use my wife's cricut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Saw another pic of yours on the forums (or in a Google Image search), and thought it looked awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by legacy11 View Post
    Saw another pic of yours on the forums (or in a Google Image search), and thought it looked awesome.
    Thanks

RC Competitor
    Sides are on.

Also got the first couple layers of blue/black Plastidip on. Had to mask off the "roof" part of the body though since I messed up that vinyl and need to get it reprinted and put on before I paint that part.

RC Enthusiast
    The problem I have with making a kick *** body is that I don't want to get a scratch on it after which kind of ruins the fun when driving it around at different locations.

RC Qualifier
    once you get over that hump, life get much less stressful... i was so bummed after i painted my first body last year and got the decals all hooked up, then did a nice 100ft slide on my roof... but now that body has long been toast, and i have painted another one that is being destroyed a little each day. i like to think of it as me getting better with each paint job, and getting better at driving little-by-little.
    Last edited by SL4SHGT8BASHER; 02-07-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Don't worry about it... ty the time it gets scratched up, you'll be itching to make a new and better one anyways!

I feel the same way I made my body a little over a year ago and I still havnt drilled the holes to put it on the truck

RC Competitor
    Update.

The overspray on the sides is just on the outside (haven't removed the protective plastic yet). Same thing with the weird stuff on the roof.

I also have another body for the Slash that I'm going to paint in Blaze Orange Plastidip and probably just use the stock stickers on, and I also ordered Electric Green Plastidip for my son's new, clear Rustler body. He wants a green body with black lightning vinyl decals.

Oh, and I got wife sign off to get a Silhouette CAMEO 3 so I can print my own vinyl.

RC Racer
    I have been looking at these vinyl kits. They look pretty cool. Only real issue is the go on outside of body.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEVJ578...I1I7WEQL4XK46R

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by perry396 View Post
    I have been looking at these vinyl kits. They look pretty cool. Only real issue is the go on outside of body.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEVJ578...I1I7WEQL4XK46R

Yeah, I saw those, but I'm sure they'd get torn up with the first rollover.

RC poster
    I really like the neat installation, My friend has a car and she too wants to have the vehicle wraps installed. I think i need some suggestions from where i should have vehicle wraps for that car.

RC poster
    Doing some research, and it looks like the Silhouette Cameo (or their other products) are better than the Cricut for similar money. The Silhouette products print at a higher dpi (less blurry images) and have better, and less restrictive software.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAX7H78...CXTSV3H4&psc=1

The link above is the Cameo. There is also a Cameo 2 and a Cameo 3. Haven't researched the differences yet.

Now I have to convince the wife of how fun it would be to have one for her (wink) projects.
    My wife has the cameo and loves it. She cut out some stuff for me, I'll post pics later of what she did for my body. Any image that you can find online or design, she can cut with it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TMoore86 View Post
    My wife has the cameo and loves it. She cut out some stuff for me, I'll post pics later of what she did for my body. Any image that you can find online or design, she can cut with it.

I too use a cameo for all of my airbrushing needs as well. I get leftover vinyl from a local vinyl shop as colors do not matter for stencils. Also if you unlock the software you have a lot more functions, like tracing images. Essentially creating your own vector files. It's like $60.- I believe. I draw a lot of my own designs, use photoshop for editing and creating a .pdf then use silhouette software to vector them. Since I don't have a Slash, I don't want to hijack this thread, or clutter it with non Slash specific pics.

RC poster
    This is two years or light to medium amount to bashing only. Has held up pretty good. Found the design online and my wife cut it out with her Silhouette Cameo. Biggest thing to keep in mind is use the high quality vinyls.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TMoore86 View Post
    This is two years or light to medium amount to bashing only. Has held up pretty good. Found the design online and my wife cut it out with her Silhouette Cameo. Biggest thing to keep in mind is use the high quality vinyls.

'Murica!

RC poster
    Wow those flames came out amazing. Which cricut machine did you use was it the explore or the maker?

I'm looking to do some custom vinyl jobs and can't make up my mind about the right machine. The online
    reviews aren't helping either. They are all just nonsense hype.

Until now this freshly picked blog came close to being real. The blogger actually talks about shortcomings.
    Her post cricut vs cameo made me think. Plus I head that cameo 4 is coming out any week now.

Any tips or ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by RNoland; 10-02-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RNoland View Post
    Wow those flames came out amazing. Which cricut machine did you use was it the explore or the maker?

I'm looking to do some custom vinyl jobs and can't make up my mind about the right machine. The online
    reviews aren't helping either. They are all just nonsense hype.

Until now this freshly picked blog came close to being real. The blogger actually talks about shortcomings.
    Her post cricut vs cameo made me think. Plus I head that cameo 4 is coming out any week now.

Any tips or ideas are welcome.
    I have a Silhouette Cameo 3, I haven't done anything with it yet but the reason I chose it over the Cricuts is because the Cricuts require you to be online for it to work and the Cameo does not. Otherwise they can use and do most of the same things. Join Michael's and JoAnn Fabric's clubs and you will get regular coupons for greatly reduced coupons for vinyl and other supplies.

If you have a good inkjet, they also have printable vinyl that can be cut and applied as full color designs.

RC poster
    Looking to get some custom vinyl work done, but running into issues with a lot of shops being not able to print as small as I want.

Have any of you got custom vinyl stickers made for your Slash? Any recommendations on where to get it done?
    In the past I used Sticker Mule and I was pleased with the order quality. Their price, however is higher than the above two companies for what you are looking for. But production time was one factor in my order. Some of the cheaper options were produced really long. So you can check with each seller for this. But Sticker Robot seems to have good quality stickers. I didn't hear about PSPRINT. Let us know how it goes! Let us know how it goes!
    My Life My Style

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JefferyRolland View Post
    In the past I used Sticker Mule and I was pleased with the order quality. Their price, however is higher than the above two companies for what you are looking for. But production time was one factor in my order. Some of the cheaper options were produced really long. So you can check with each seller for this. But Sticker Robot seems to have good quality stickers. I didn't hear about PSPRINT. Let us know how it goes! Let us know how it goes!
    First I'll call out that you necro'd this thread.

But - I'll second sticker mule - great service and nice stickers.

Cricut machines are good if you don't want anything printed on the vinyl - there are tons of different vinyl colors including metallics and foil types - so that may be an alternative to something printed on vinyl. The merica truck above just used two different color vinyls to get the right. I just used my circut maker machine to cut removable vinyl that I used as masking for painting a body - instead of going on the outside, I used it on the inside for precision painting.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    First I'll call out that you necro'd this thread.

But - I'll second sticker mule - great service and nice stickers.

Cricut machines are good if you don't want anything printed on the vinyl - there are tons of different vinyl colors including metallics and foil types - so that may be an alternative to something printed on vinyl. The merica truck above just used two different color vinyls to get the right. I just used my circut maker machine to cut removable vinyl that I used as masking for painting a body - instead of going on the outside, I used it on the inside for precision painting.
    I just upgraded to my new Cricut Maker from my Cricut Air and one thing I discovered at topvinylcutters was that doing the machine calibration was a really important step.

As for the vinyl settings, with the "Vinyl" and "Iron On" settings, I have not found any issues. When you cut your HTV (heat transfer vinyl or iron on), make sure that you put down the shiny side (the transfer sheet), so that you face the mat.
    My Life My Style