RC poster

How to properly clean a dirty merv? (brushed)

I have a really dirty (brushed) merv that needs a bath. What is the best way to clean it without risking damage? Even though it's supposedly water resistant I'm hesitant to soak it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Get an air compressor and blow off all the big stuff, then cover up the motor, esc etc... with a ziplock bag etc and hose the bad boy off, scrub the tough stuff we a soft brush (tooth brush) and the blow off again with air compressor and let it dry it out the rest of the way. After it is dry, you can get some dry lube type spray and lubricate the ball joints, hubs etc... Just be sure it is a dry lubricant spray, not an oily one. All that will do is attract more dirt.
    --
    Lipo'd and Nitro'd - J-Rod

RC Champion
    I wouldn't use an air compressor on it, it can force stuff past seals into the radio box or bearings, not to mention the danger to your eyes from flying dirt...

If it's REALLY dirty, it's OK to let the hose run over it, as long as you don't spray it by putting your thumb over the end because that can also push stuff past seals.

The hose and a soft bristle brush us all I ever use, then put it in a warm area with good air circulation (I.e., not a closet) to dry. A spray with WD 40 will keep that at bay, but if you make a habit of washing with the hose, you will start to see rust.
    Dacaur

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    I wouldn't use an air compressor on it, it can force stuff past seals into the radio box or bearings, not to mention the danger to your eyes from flying dirt...

If it's REALLY dirty, it's OK to let the hose run over it, as long as you don't spray it by putting your thumb over the end because that can also push stuff past seals.

The hose and a soft bristle brush us all I ever use, then put it in a warm area with good air circulation (I.e., not a closet) to dry. A spray with WD 40 will keep that at bay, but if you make a habit of washing with the hose, you will start to see rust.
    Just keep the psi around 40 lbs on the compressor and you will be fine. I have been doing this for a long time and have never had any issues with nitro cars, trucks or electric. WD-40 attracts dirt. A silicone based dry lube will not.
    --

RC Enthusiast
    I rinsed mine under the sink, just tap pressure but I didnt cover anything. I let it sit and dry before running it again but next time I went to run it my ESC fried. Could be coincidence or not, I just dont know, but I wont be rinsing it under the sink anymore.
    PS: I have jumped it off a dock into a lake without issues previously

Yeah, that is very odd. The only time I have ever friend anything was when I ran at the beach and a big wave crashed down on top of it. It died almost instantly. Something I assume to be a result of the the salt water and batteries not mixing. I was my MERV, Bandit, Losi and HPI's (electrics) all the time. I never wash the Nitro's with anything other than Nitro cleaner.
    --

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I would expect to see more problems with a battery connected or with power on when submersed. I am sure washing mine had something to do with my ESC frying. But I am also pretty sure I am an electric anomaly. When I drove mine into the lake it had Nicad batteries and the stock brushed motor, but I picked it out of the lake (before it could even sink, the body helped keep it partially afloat) and kept on givin’r!