RC Racer

how common is it for lipo Batts to catch fire?

First time lipo user and wondering how common is it for them to burn? Anything we can do to minimize the chances?

Fires are due to abuse or trauma. What you see on YouTube are people being idiots and causing them to start on fire. Other times it is due to a severe enough crash the battery is damaged.

Read the manual that comes with the battery on how to care for it and you'll be fine and store it in a fire proof/resistant container.

There are far more volatile products stored in a garage with greater potential for fire than these batteries.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-28-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Fires are due to abuse or trauma. What you see on YouTube are people being idiots and causing them to start on fire. Other times it is due to a severe enough crash the battery is damaged.

Read the manual that comes with the battery on how to care for it and you'll be fine and store it in a fire proof/resistant container.

There are far more volatile products stored in a garage with greater potential for fire than these batteries.
    DubG that is the most perfectly direct to the point easiest way to put it! Thanks! I find myself writing an article on it when ppl ask! Lol.

STL Missouri
    92.5 mph Rustler
    87.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

I store mine in a metal cash box when not in use. Many others store theirs in a metal ammo box. I charge them in a lipo sack and otherwise don't really think much about them being a danger. Take care of them and they will take care of you...
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

RC Racer
    Gonna get myself a lipo bag or a tin container to charge a to store when not in use.

Never had one catch on fire yet. I do charge mine in a metal container though, just in case.
    "Gone racing"

Be safe and lipos are safe. I store mine in a metal box also. Never had one catch on fire though. You ALMOST have to DELIBERATELY abuse them for a fire to happen.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

The batteries and chargers are better now than a few years back, but thier still is poor batteries and chargers out there.
    I don't know what's worse scenario, a good battery with bad charger, or a bad battery with good charger. Quality costs.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Enthusiast
    Absolutely luv the ammo can idea!
    Now I gotta find somewhere to put a bit of ammo to empty a small one...
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    The batteries and chargers are better now than a few years back, but thier still is poor batteries and chargers out there.
    I don't know what's worse scenario, a good battery with bad charger, or a bad battery with good charger. Quality costs.
    Definitely better to have cheap batteries and a good charger! Batteries will not catch fire on their own, otherwise your non-Samsung Galaxy Note 7 will also catch fire on its owb

Cheap batteries will not last as long (hold less mah after a few cycles) or simply don't give enough amps to the motor causing premature wear and puff.

You have to stop using a battery that doesn't provide enough amps to the motor and get one that is able to supply more.

On the other hand, a cheap charger will often over charge batteries, which is far more dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk