RC Enthusiast

Angry AARRGHHH!! 4 Runs and it's Broke?!?!?!

So I got my Slash XL-5 2WD on the 22nd. It has been run a total of 4 times, all in stock form. I go out today because I finally get some free time and it won't power on at all.

Check the following:

Battery Charged - Yep
    Controller On - Yep
    ESC Button Turned On - NOPE!

Move Battery over to son's Rustler - Yep
    Controller On - Yep
    ESC Turned On - YEP!

I then tried 2 other batteries in the Slash and got nothing from the ESC for either of them.

Step 3 was to take the ESC out of the Rustler and swap into the Slash, powered right up and ran fine.

SO, it looks my my brand new ESC is burnt out. How, I don't know. Batteries are never left connected, nothing has been done except a new body put on it. Everything is stock.

Does Traxxas warranty this part or am I gonna get the, "It's a toy and things break" response if I try to call them? I don't feel like I should have to pay $50 for an ESC that has been turned on 4 times.

Any fuses or anything inside the ESC that can be replaced or am I pretty much stuck waiting on a new ESC before this thing can run?

Thanks for the advice.

Tracks is insanely good with warranty so I'd give them a call and they should sort you out.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    awesome news. Thanks for the quick reply! I will call them ASAP!

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    hey there, I would give traxxas a call. in the meantime you could buy a xl5 esc on ebay new for 25-30$ (chop shops sell these some with motor combo for 35-40$) and use that while you send in your esc and wait for the new one to come in. than you guys have a backup.

traxxas stands by their customers.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks 4dub, good idea. I was looking at them tonight, thinking the same thing.

I am thinking of looking for one local too on C-List, as I am anxious to run this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by rmedoc View Post

Does Traxxas warranty this part or am I gonna get the, "It's a toy and things break" response if I try to call them? I don't feel like I should have to pay $50 for an ESC that has been turned on 4 times.
    A. Is what happened to you normal? No. Most people have no issues with their ESC.

B. The forums are a place to help troubleshoot problems and seek solutions from other members - something that you did. However, the forums are not here to replace Traxxas Customer Support so no matter what we say cannot be held against them: "Well everyone on the forums has had their ESC replaced by you..." The big answer is that we cannot foretell the answer Traxxas is going to give you. However, past experience - both personally and reading other members posts - have shown Traxxas Support to be top notch even when it is blatantly apparent the customer is at fault. The best thing for you to do is to call them Monday, politely explain the situation and see what they will do for you. Remember: there are two sides to the story and you will read some posts where people have a sour experience with CS, however, a handful of members here get to hear the other side of the story as well and the picture is crystal clear.

That all being said, if you are eager to get back on the road then purchase another ESC as the one you have will most likely need to be sent in before you get one in return. Or they may send you one knowing in good faith you will return the defective part. Though this begs the question: where did you purchase it from and are they willing to exchange the ESC or truck for you?
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I appreciate the honest feedback. I also completely understand the dynamic between forum talk and stories.

But, in the short time I've been a part of this, I haven't seen anything but respect and honesty towards my questions, which is why I asked.

I will most definitely give them a call tomorrow, and yes, politeness is top priority for me as always, even if not going my way. The reps on the phone arent the ones who make the rules, i hate when they get the short end of the stick with disgruntled workers.

Thanks for all the help thus far and the time to respond. I appreciate it.