RC Competitor

How do you get these things clean?!

Have a new Slash Platinum, and took it out on my track yesterday. It was pretty muddy, and when we were done, the inside of the Slash was FILLED with mud. With running water, I was able to get most of it out, but there is still a bit of mud in the cracks (bottom of the rear shocks, under the drivetrain in the honeycomb, etc).

Any cleaning tips? Q-tips and toothpicks?

RC Racer
    If you want to get that meticulous yeh toothpicks and what not... I just hose mine down really good then blow dry it with my air compressor... Also apply wd40 to the areas with bearings when dried...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I usually just take the water hose to mine as long is waterproof u should b fine it should have a lil rubber gasket in the receiver box if so then u should be good

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Luv my slash

And if you've already run water over it then thats wut I'd do and since it's cold out where I live I just do it in the shower we have a removable shower head that works good 4 me

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Luv my slash

RC Racer
    I clean mine in the kitchen sink with the sprayer head. You can use scrubber brushes to get some the real caked up areas clean. Ive seen videos where they do it it bathtub. Traxxas video shows them using simple green and brushes. You are never gonna get it totally clean without pulling parts to get into tight areas. And def use wd40 on screws. I usually spray wd40 on a q tip and clean screws that way its less messy. Also get the bearings as best as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spray bottle with water, Simple Green, old toothbruch, air compressor, time, and patience!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Sounds like it's good enough. The Rustler is MUCH easier to clean. LOL.

I have a couple of Platinums too! They are great. As for cleaning, it depends how OCD you are! LOL! I shake mine a few times to remove any loose stuff, use compressed air to blow out grass, dirt, etc and then spray with relatively low-pressure water from hose or sink attachment. I use a toothbrush and pick to clean any built-up dirt and grime or to get into hard-to-reach areas. I then use compressed air to CAREFULLY blow out water and then let it sit out and dry. Last step is to spray silicone on most screws to keep them shiny! There is regular maintenance that you really should do as well, some of which is convenient to do at this time, but that's another discussion.
    Last edited by shack351; 01-30-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Can't recall where I see it, but there is a video out there of a Slash owner putting it in a big sized bucket at the end of a run, holding it by front bumper, and throttling up for 5 seconds submerged. Washed it good!

Aside from all the great advice here, I take my cars and trucks completely apart once year. Everything, every screw etc. Do a full body inspection for worn parts, torn boots etc... I will soak all the bearing in Denatured Alcohol, scrub everything with soft brushes and get them degreased and clean and the reassemble and replace parts as needed. I typically do this in Jan/Feb when I have some down time. It takes time, but you also learn a lot.
    --
    Lipo'd and Nitro'd - J-Rod

RC Competitor
    I just rinse with hose then I use dishwashing soap and brush it then rinse again. Then I hold the truck in the air and hold full throttle with the wheels off to spin the water out of the bearings. After drying it with paper towel, I spray the bearings with wd40. At this point the truck looks new. Then I rubb Vaseline on the whole thing to give it that " it's just been waxed look" at this point the truck looks nicer and cleaner than new lol.

RC Qualifier
    Rinse and clean with a combination of water and/or simple green.
    Use a Wooster 2" stubby brush to clean out the dirt in the small corners. This works great to get into the small areas, much better than a tooth brush. $5 at Home Depot.

Blow dry with an air compressor or my latest, is this Sidekick. I like the sidekick much better than an air compressor as it drys faster and warms the air a little (great for melting snow after bashing). Also useful when you wash your full size car or motorcycle, blows all the water out of the nooks and crannies.

I also use WD-40 to displace water. I also use Maxima SC1 spray. Makes all the plastic look new and shinny. Also makes cleaning up next time much easier.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Slash 4x4, E-Revo, Stampede 2wd (3 of them)

I use a hose and air compressor. Make sure to use WD-40 on the metal parts to prevent any rust.
    "Gone racing"

Quote Originally Posted by explorerlyon View Post
    Rinse and clean with a combination of water and/or simple green.
    Use a Wooster 2" stubby brush to clean out the dirt in the small corners. This works great to get into the small areas, much better than a tooth brush. $5 at Home Depot.

Blow dry with an air compressor or my latest, is this Sidekick. I like the sidekick much better than an air compressor as it drys faster and warms the air a little (great for melting snow after bashing). Also useful when you wash your full size car or motorcycle, blows all the water out of the nooks and crannies.

I also use WD-40 to displace water. I also use Maxima SC1 spray. Makes all the plastic look new and shinny. Also makes cleaning up next time much easier.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Digging the side kick. Where did you get from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    --

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jarod_rodriguez View Post
    Digging the side kick. Where did you get from?

Actually called Metro Vacuum Air Force Blaster Sidekick. Sells for about $75. You can buy it on autogeek.net, Amazon or other auto detailing places on the internet. It is made specifically to blow off the water from crevices on vehicles and motorcycles when detailing. Not something I would by just for RCs, but given you use on on your real vehicles also, well worth it.
    Slash 4x4, E-Revo, Stampede 2wd (3 of them)

I am on the Raptor forum as well and always looking for detail tools to make my life easier. Thanks for the tip. Will be ordering ASAP.

--

Quote Originally Posted by jarod_rodriguez View Post
    Aside from all the great advice here, I take my cars and trucks completely apart once year. Everything, every screw etc. Do a full body inspection for worn parts, torn boots etc... I will soak all the bearing in Denatured Alcohol, scrub everything with soft brushes and get them degreased and clean and the reassemble and replace parts as needed. I typically do this in Jan/Feb when I have some down time. It takes time, but you also learn a lot.
    Good advice and good fun!

I used to pull mine completely apart (within reason) and wash all the parts by hand then put back together.

Now I don't bother cleaning it because unless you are going to rebuild all the bearings each time there is nothing else that will care about the dirt because its mostly plastic.

Once a year i just spend the $30 and buy a new set of bearings, but I have been know to clean out some of them and put new oil in every now and then.

I stay out of the mud.Use 80psi air to blast the dust and debris out.
    Traxxas Slash Platinum Edition

Quote Originally Posted by spunkybob View Post
    I used to pull mine completely apart (within reason) and wash all the parts by hand then put back together.

Now I don't bother cleaning it because unless you are going to rebuild all the bearings each time there is nothing else that will care about the dirt because its mostly plastic.

Once a year i just spend the $30 and buy a new set of bearings, but I have been know to clean out some of them and put new oil in every now and then.
    I should mention i do give it a brush with an old paintbrush, but thats just to get rid of the lose big stuff.
    I make sure the drive shafts are debris free after each run, I am sick of replacing them.