RC Enthusiast

Aton Plus and 5000/20C Batteries

Been flying the Alias for over a month now (my first quad, and without destroying it), and thought it time to step up to the Aton Plus - which was delivered from Traxxas this past Friday evening. Saturday I flew it in Film mode a couple times, just takeoff and landing, a little forward and backward, some yaw and pitch and all that jazz. Will probably be flying in Film mode for quite awhile until I get use to handling the powerful Beast! It's awesome, and a whole different ballgame compared to the Alias! Great fun!

I was going to ask this in the Battery thread, but felt since it was more Aton-specific, I'd ask here.

The first charge on the 5000/20C that came with it took almost exactly 2 hours, and I was just wondering if that's pretty standard? Seemed like a long time, but when compared to 30-40 minutes for the little Alias 650's, perhaps not. Just wondering what your experience has been? My neighbor tried charging it for me with his Aton charger, and actually took about 15-20 minutes longer than I.

If 2 hours is roughly standard, I'd certainly think about picking up Traxxas' EZ Peak Live 12-amp charger, and that's the reason I ask. Any info re: your experience would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

RC Racer
    That was because of your charger. Charging that lipo battery at a 1C rate would be 5amps and from a 3.8 per cell storage voltage it would be charged in about an hour or less.
    Last edited by powerpickle; 01-29-2017 at 04:35 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpickle View Post
    That was because of your charger. Charging that lipo battery at a 1C rate would be 5amps and from a 3.8 per cell storage voltage it would be charged in about an hour or less.
    Sorry I'm a bit dense on this.
    Are you saying the charger is bad, or is that just SOP for this particular charger that came with the Aton?

RC Competitor
    Check the current output on the charger. If it is the same as the one that comes with the std aton then it only delivers 3A. 5000mah can be charged at a max of 5A in about an hour (usually a bit longer because of the balancing phase at the end). So yes it will take close to two hours if it delivers 3A. The difference with your neighbour is probably due to variations in balance between the cells.

The battery is 5 amps and the charger is apparently able to charge 3 amps per hour. 5/3= 1 2/3 hours of charge time. If you get a bigger charger you can charge at 5 amps which will take you to an hour. I haven't checked recently so I don't remember if the batteries will accept 2c or twice the amp rate of the battery or 10 amp charge which will take you to 30 minutes.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Ah, okay. I think I'm understanding what's going on now. Nothing 'wrong' with the charger that came with it.

Think I will buy that EZ Peak Live charger. I have another 5000 coming, and will probably get at least one more eventually, so it would clearly be worthwhile to purchase the better charger.

Many thanks for all the info, guys!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The battery is 5 amps and the charger is apparently able to charge 3 amps per hour. 5/3= 1 2/3 hours of charge time. If you get a bigger charger you can charge at 5 amps which will take you to an hour. I haven't checked recently so I don't remember if the batteries will accept 2c or twice the amp rate of the battery or 10 amp charge which will take you to 30 minutes.
    Yes , 2C charge rate max (10A)is what it says on the label