RC poster

Nitro Sport 2.5 upgrade

I want to replace the .15 on my sport with, a 2.5R. Can this be done safely, or do I have to change the drive axles and gears and what ever else you can think of?
    Thanks

RC poster
    I'm considering doing this as well, eventually, is there another thread that has the answers to this? I did pick up the conversion kit, but is there anything else that needs to be done.
    Last edited by Mariposa; 03-16-2019 at 01:10 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I actually have the 3.3 on mine. I only used the conversion kit. So far nothing has blown apart....

My Nitro sport is about 20yrs old and upgraded the front end, wheels/tires, transmitter/receiver, servos, and engine.

I only did the front end to be able to use hex wheels.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-17-2019 at 06:41 AM.

RC poster
    I just had the 2.5R engine installed and no other upgrades were needed but engine mount and throttle linkage.

RC poster
    My Nitro Sport truck is completely stock, have only burned about a half gallon through it. And it must still be breaking in, because it continues to get faster, (although I have been working on tuning it a bit leaner for a cleaner burn).
    So tell me, any of you with the 2.5 or 3.3 upgrade engines - How much faster are they than the stock Pro .15? And just guessing but is the top speed about the same, but they just reach it a lot quicker? I am plenty happy with the top speed on mine, it will outrun the radio pretty quick. And acceleration is not bad. I really need to look and find some acceleration videos of trucks with the bigger engine setups on YouTube. Oh, and a big question - How did it change your fuel consumption? Thinking it will burn through a tankful a lot quicker... Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    63mph with 22t clutchbell trx 3.3 and sport tuned pipe but its to powerful and keeps do wheelies in top speed runs. and what i have read about 2.5r vs 3.3 engine is 60% more power
    Traxxas bandit vxl/tsm.
    La trax alias quad.