Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by . . . . . . . . . . View Post
    It's got a licensed body, full lighting kit, and it is an entirely new platform that needed to be engineered from square one. Everything on this is new and the 4 servos are indicative that there will be a lot of moving parts. The R&D bill for this vehicle must have been huge.
    Same thing i was thinking: the remote locking diffs & 2 speed tranny. Look how much a summit costs. I know its more on a 1/10 scale size so somewhat less.
    T-Maxx 2.5R /Stampede brushed/ Slash VXL brushless

Sadly, I am a little less excited seeing how big this truck is. Still cool, but Traxxas might be missing the market with this one. A lot of us who are heaving into scalers and crawlers (this is a scaler, not a crawler), compete with them, would want this to go toe-to-toe with what is already on the market. This truck will be too big for Class 1, unwieldy for Class 2, and would not be competitive in Class 3. If it is going to compete with the SCX10 and Ascenders for market share, it needs to be able to compete with them on the trail, at competitions. Who knows, this might spark a class of its own.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    whoa, you think that much?! I'm not seeing enough hardware for a $400 price tag. maybe if it had a sensored brushless system in it...
    Look at the Axial SCX10's and SCX10 II's, combined with the Vaterra Ascender. All of them are basic compared to this new Traxxas one, and they are asking roughly $400 minimum for trucks that don't have portal axles, two speed transmissions, and certainly not locking diffs. Sadly, this new Traxxas scaler will not likely be on the cheap side.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Qualifier
    I would love to see it sold as a "kit". Nothing like building an rc with your own two hands.
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

guess i just figured this is half the truck of the summit and the summit is $549.99 on tower.

and i've always thought axial stuff was overpriced.
    Last edited by rizz0d; 02-07-2017 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Sadly, I am a little less excited seeing how big this truck is. Still cool, but Traxxas might be missing the market with this one. A lot of us who are heaving into scalers and crawlers (this is a scaler, not a crawler), compete with them, would want this to go toe-to-toe with what is already on the market. This truck will be too big for Class 1, unwieldy for Class 2, and would not be competitive in Class 3. If it is going to compete with the SCX10 and Ascenders for market share, it needs to be able to compete with them on the trail, at competitions. Who knows, this might spark a class of its own.

I'm not sure if it's that big. What would you guess the wheelbase to be? It doesn't look much bigger than my SCX10, I'd guess high 12".

RC Racer
    Some more photos can be seen here, https://www.facebook.com/rcexcitemen...54552096343611.
    Tekin powered Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    Some more photos can be seen here, https://www.facebook.com/rcexcitemen...54552096343611.

Very cool, I like how all the plastic parts are 3D printed lol... Might be further away from production than we think unfortunately.

That servo looks promising too. Same the shocks.
    I broke it again . . . \_(ツ)_/

can someone repost them here for those of us that don't do facebook?

can someone repost them here for those of us that don't do facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasbrothers View Post
    I'm not sure if it's that big. What would you guess the wheelbase to be? It doesn't look much bigger than my SCX10, I'd guess high 12".
    I think Harley said that is was around 13.5". At that WB, you could put a Summit body on it and have it looks right. 13.5" is the WB on this rig...

I am hoping the XL5 will be reprogrammed for instant reverse and a drag brake. If so, the version of the XL5 will be VERY popular in the scaler community.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 02-08-2017 at 11:14 PM.

thanks traxxasbrothers!

i'm seeing even more win in these new pictures than i saw in the first ones. lot of nice stuff going on.

what is the battery plugged into? it's not plugged into the ESC. but it is plugged into those two small wires that seem to disappear into that little black box deal?

RC Racer
    The more pics i see of this truck, the more i'm leaning toward the $500 price range. It will definitely be out of the price range i can afford.
    T-Maxx 2.5R /Stampede brushed/ Slash VXL brushless

RC Enthusiast
    1:10 scale Land Rover Defender 110 SHOULD have a wheelbase of 11.0 inches. Then again, I haven't found too many things in the RC world that are actually built to scale.

thanks traxxasbrothers!

i'm seeing even more win in these new pictures than i saw in the first ones. lot of nice stuff going on.

what is the battery plugged into? it's not plugged into the ESC. but it is plugged into those two small wires that seem to disappear into that little black box deal?

To me, it looks like those smaller wires are going to the RX, allowing the lights to be turned on without powering up the ESC.

Something else I like about this truck is the chassis mounted servo!!!

I think Harley said that is was around 13.5". At that WB, you could put a Summit body on it and have it looks right. 13.5" is the WB on this rig...

I am hoping the XL5 will be reprogrammed for instant reverse and a drag brake. If so, the version of the XL5 will be VERY popular in the scaler community.
    13.5" wheelbase is quite extreme, that is going to make it a little more difficult for finding bodies (other than using Summit, T-Maxx, Savage bodies). And class 1 would be tricky being the gates are 11" wide you won't have a ton of room for error.

I'm in line to get one for sure. I like all the aspects I see and for a rtr and those specs $500 isn't unfair. The body however I will be sold new as a take off from me. Just my personal preference I can't stand the defender design. Chevy all the way.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

To me, it looks like those smaller wires are going to the RX, allowing the lights to be turned on without powering up the ESC.
    then what's inside the receiver box on the other side of the chassis that has all the esc/servo leads going to it?

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
    I'm in line to get one for sure. I like all the aspects I see and for a rtr and those specs $500 isn't unfair. The body however I will be sold new as a take off from me. Just my personal preference I can't stand the defender design. Chevy all the way.
    you think $500? the summit is $549. this would be a tough sell for a newbie looking at them side by side. "so for only $50 more i get a WAY bigger truck, WAY bigger motor, WAY bigger esc, double the power, WAY bigger tires, two steering servos..."

Wow, I'm digging the metal geared servo! I wasn't epecting that honestly. I did that it's chassis mounted too. If the production version matches what we're seeing here it'll sell like hot cakes!

I'm a huge Jeep fan, so mine would get the Axial Jeep Wrangler Unlimted Rubicon body right off the bat if the wheel base lines up.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 02-09-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

you think $500? the summit is $549. this would be a tough sell for a newbie looking at them side by side. "so for only $50 more i get a WAY bigger truck, WAY bigger motor, WAY bigger esc, double the power, WAY bigger tires, two steering servos..."
    But figure it will be the most expensive as soon as it comes out (supply and demand). Yes the Summit will probably be around the same price but they were able to mass produce the chassis and the majority of components as well, since the E-Revo has the same. This is an entirely new platform with new molds and R&D, and the price has to reflect that.

Like traxxas brothers said too it's a new platform. I've done scalers just over a decade now, well before it was popularized, and see with the selectable diffs, 2sp, CMS steering, and portal axle it'll easily be in the $500 range rtr. Try making one from any other kit or combination for less than that. We will all know for sure when traxxas releases the rest of the information. I'm glad they're making an honest go of it and not trying to "cash in" with a cheesyish model almost resembling a scaler. We will leave the telluride out of this lol. I have one but it's a little bumbling basher MT for me. Also pretty happy about an electric 4tec.

This truck and the Summit are made to do very different things, so someone who wants all of the features of the Summit would not really be interested in this truck; and vise-versa. Plus, with a 5000mha lipo, you'll get 1.5 - 2 hours of run time, compared to 30 minutes of run time from two 5000mha packs on a Summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Wow, I'm digging the metal geared servo! I wasn't epecting that honestly.
    Right on!
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

This truck and the Summit are made to do very different things, so someone who wants all of the features of the Summit would not really be interested in this truck; and vise-versa. Plus, with a 5000mha lipo, you'll get 1.5 - 2 hours of run time, compared to 30 minutes of run time from two 5000mha packs on a Summit.
    I know they were made for different things, I'm talking hardware for hardware. new platform or not. and I don't think run time should be a factor in the price point.
    when the t-maxx came out it wasn't more expensive at first to pay for the new molds. correct me if im wrong, but I think the XO-1 was the only vehicle that dropped significantly in price shortly after it came out.

I think it would still do well at $500, but at $350 they'll fly off the shelves. only time will tell. and I can't wait for this thing to get announced officially!

I think it would still do well at $500, but at $350 they'll fly off the shelves. only time will tell. and I can't wait for this thing to get announced officially!
    Can't disagree. VERY interested in seeing what the production model looks like!

I don't think $350 is a remote possibility.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    It will be exciting to see the release of this thing. I wonder how much change will happen by the time it its production. Wonder if traxxas has something else up their sleeve to follow after this for a scale rig.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I don't think $350 is a remote possibility.
    any specific reasons why, other than 'it's a new platform' and 'R&D costs'?

Because of the features I described above. The truck has value. It's not for just bashing like all the fast models either.

New Traxxas Scale Truck

Just a comparison to models recently introduced.
    It's my wild guess regarding a product that has not been confirmed to exist.
    Might as well speculate how much a unicorn eats.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-09-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Might as well speculate how much a unicorn eats.
    Like, duh...! Everybody knows unicorns don't eat, they like survive off of happy dreams and 120 proof grain alcohol.

here's a better picture of what i was asking about. the black box on the driver side behind the mini servo, it has a battery connector hanging out of it. it's definitely not the receiver because that's in the box on the passenger side and you can see all the servo leads going into it.

external light controller?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have 0 experience with scaling but it seems like it's the hot thing from what im reading. So hot that a member a few posts above joined the Traxxas forums to show his displeasure of Traxxas joining the Scaling world. Gotta love it!
    We are all one race. The human race.

here's a better picture of what i was asking about. the black box on the driver side behind the mini servo, it has a battery connector hanging out of it. it's definitely not the receiver because that's in the box on the passenger side and you can see all the servo leads going into it.

My guess is that box with the 8 pin male plug, is the junction box if you will, For the body lighting which would have a matching female end on the harness which plugs into the box.

Now either being this is a prototype the red and black wire there maybe "temporary" to power the lights, until the final setup is wired right into the main power off the esc, Or possible theres gonna be a splitter to connect both at once.

Just my thoughts?
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

Quote Originally Posted by eastctrc View Post
    Frankly I don't think it's Traxxas' place. Let's be real. Scaling is definitely top in the RC hobby right now. They're trying to compete because the profits aren't there. It looks like a cheaper copy of a tamiya cc01, scx10 2 and rc4wd Gelende. No originality and they don't know anything about scale. Axial started including all metal links as standard stock. No interchangeable parts like the Scx10. Personally I don't think traxxas should get into scale. It's not what they're known for.
    Perhaps. Jimco used to only build buggies, now their trophy trucks dominate the class. Same for Racer Engineering. Guess they both should stop building trucks because they don't know? Some the "purists" have their panties in a wad because the basher brand has stepped up to the mike. Clutch the pearls.... That said, I bet you won't have to replace the steering servo, horn, motor and esc after a day's use, when you just bought the RTR. Oh yeah, forgot to add the beef tubes. $400 rtr quickly became $600.

To compete, they'll create a larger vehicle class eventually if needed. Not like Traxxas doesn't have any clout/influence to start their own thing if necessary anyhow. Axial Fest gets a good turnout. Traxxas Fest numbers would probably easily double theirs. My money says the crawler community will welcome this with open arms (as the crawler forums will already attest, just go take a look. Try RCCrawler, its one of the hottest topics on there), being it advances the whole aspect of the industry. Traxxas, get me on the development board!!!

It could be sort of a light controller, BEC all-in-one.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

That must be where you plug the body lights in...possibly they temporarily put a battery connector on those wires so they could have the lights on for sales/display purposes??

Edit: What dave00bear said.... sorry I must have missed your post....
    Last edited by SummitonSlingrs; 02-10-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    That must be where you plug the body lights in...possibly they temporarily put a battery connector on those wires so they could have the lights on for sales/display purposes??

Edit: What dave00bear said.... sorry I must have missed your post....
    Most likely. Going off what can be seen, you can either plug in the ESC, or that light controller (or what ever it is). I am guessing that in the production model, they'll have that integrated into the power plug, or split off from the RX.

I'm wondering how much steering those front axles have, hopefully they are on par with SCX10 II and the new Ascender.

RC Enthusiast
    Looking foward to this.Traxxas has been dropping a lot of new RCs latley!!
    Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 02-11-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast