RC Champion

Pressure Washer Issue

Hey all, I'm having some problems with my pressure washer. I have keep all my equipment running, and have messed with small engines many times before. However this one is pretty irritating. Half of the time it runs fine, for about 5 minutes after I start it. Then it starts bogging down, backfires, and stalls. I can pull the choke and restart it immediately. After doing this it will idle, but when pulling the trigger it stalls instantly. If I wait for 5-6 minutes and restart it, everything seems fine. For about 5 more minutes lol.
    It doesn't seem to be overheating, pump/engine oil is right at the full notch. Good gasoline, and the the machine is only a year old. Maybe 2-3 hrs on it. I don't think it is worn out, pulse is still very noticeable.

Thanks guys!,
    Matthew 7:7

RC Competitor
    Have you cleaned out the carb? Like gutted and cleaned? If that doesn't work you could try adjusting the jets.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverLude View Post
    Have you cleaned out the carb? Like gutted and cleaned? If that doesn't work you could try adjusting the jets.
    +1 on that...Clean the carb, Check the spark plug, check if there is air leaks somewhere and Adjust the jets...That problem happened to me 2 times on a clone engine. One was a dirty carburetor and the other one was a bad Spark plug...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

I've had this issue with two different small engines. First was a carb issue so I had to pull it apart and clean it out. Found a stripped screw hole in the carb body was not properly holding the plate so the diaphragm and gasket were leaking air. Gasket maker to the rescue! It's a Zama carb and I could have gotten a new one off eBay but the model number has been wiped off of it--though I could look in the exploded views for it. With the Zama carbs you need a special tool in order to tune the HSN and LSN so I ground down the material surrounding them a little and then used a Dremel to cut notches in the end so that I could use a screwdriver. Do a Google search of the make/model number of the unit, determine what engine you have and take a look at the carb for its model number. Then you can purchase a rebuild kit for a fairly inexpensive price.
    The second engine I found the plug end (the whole coil assembly is new) was arcing past the porcelain and grounding on the base. It's on a hedge trimmer which does not see much use so it is sitting in the shed right now.
    You'll be amazed what you can find with a little searching. It took a while but I found exploded views and parts to rebuild a 19hp Briggs & Stratton engine and generator that is probably 25 years old. It now sits at the lake lot (where the only electricity comes from that and a small 1000 watt Honda) ready to go.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-25-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Thanks guys, yes the thing sat for 6 months so a carb clean will probably do it some good for sure.
    Guess I was just trying to avoid doing it hahah.
    Matthew 7:7

RC poster
    Hi,

Maybe you need to clean the small engines of your pressure washer.

Will it run with the choke on/partially on? If so it's likely some dirt/crud in the carb. If it still dies look closely at the fuel line leading from the tank to the carb. A small crack or split in that hose can suck air and not leak fuel. Just went through that with my chainsaw. Ethanol fuels(such as E10 like we have here in WI) and rubber hoses/lines don't get along at all. Once you get it fixed a splash(1oz/gal) of Seafoam in the fuel helps stabilize the fuel as well as clean the fuel system. I use it in all my small engines. My lawn mower sits all winter,snow blower sits all summer. Haven't had any fuel related issues with them at all. Good luck!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

The backfiring would suggest a timing issue. Might need to pull the shroud off the engine and clean up the magnets on the flywheel and receiver on the coil pack with some mild sand paper. Not sure if engines these days still come with points or not, but if it has points, could need to file those down a bit with fine emery board as well.

I haven't had a small engine apart in 20 years... I worked at farm and fleet in the small engine shop for a couple years. Grew up in farm country in IA, we rebuilt/maintained all our stuff. Lived at least an hour from the closest anything. Doing what people needed done at F/F was like a summer weekend for me growing up, except I had a lot more parts on hand at the store! LOL

It drove my dad crazy that I take my car in to get the oil changed now. Growing up, I was the one who serviced our 5 vehicles... and all mowers, snow blowers, chain saws. Well, after I was taught. Dad did still do all the blade/chain sharpening.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

No offense guys, But you do know this thread is from 2013, and the OP last logged in almost 2 years ago.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    No offense guys, But you do know this thread is from 2013, and the OP last logged in almost 2 years ago.
    And FWIW, the thread was brought to life by what is almost certainly a spambot.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Man!!! I didn't catch that at all!
    Expert rigging at it's best!