RC poster

no throttle, steering works, motor fine

Hi folks,

I own a Summit 1/10, ESC modell EVX-2 without low voltage detection, and my motor (stock Titan 775) stopped working suddenly in midst a normal run.

When I switch the ESC on, the light will go green and then immediately dark.
    Receiver light remains green, I have steering and can switch gears/differentials.

What I have checked so far:
    - Batteries (2x2s 5000mah lipos) are fully charged (I use LVAs)
    -Radio batteries fully charged.
    -All servos work fine; steering, gear shift, differentials.
    -All cables undamaged.
    -Front and back lights work.
    -Motor runs fine and smooth when connected to battery directly.
    -All motor connections / plugs undamaged.
    -Binding with radio works fine.
    -Programming ESC (sports mode etc.,) works fine.
    -All connectors in the receiver sit tight and in the correct slots.
    -Throttle trim on zero.

Once I opened the receiver box the solid green light returned and I had throttle, but that lasted only until the next time I switched it on - the green light on the esc disappeared again after a second or so.

Everything seems to points to a loose contact, yet I can't find anything.

I can't think of anything else that might be faulty, especially since the truck ran without problems.

Any input as to where I should continue troubleshooting is highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Jay

RC Competitor
    Try a different ESC and go from there.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashmaxxsummit View Post
    Spending xxx bucks on a new ESC when nothing hint towards it being broken is not the way to go here.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashmaxxsummit View Post
    Sorry Slashmaxxsummit, didn't mean to sound rude, but new ESC is costly and shipping takes forever to my location in the middle of nowhere...

RC poster
    Anyone else has any ideas?

RC Enthusiast
    Have you contacted Traxxas?
    They have some knowledgeable individuals & are very helpful. They should certainly be able to help you determine root of the issue and part(s) needed.
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

RC poster
    Indeed I have, it was the very first thing I did.
    They sent me the standardized answer...none of it works.

Meanwhile I have tried literally everything I can think of. Having the open ESC in front of me know, looking at the capacitors, they look fine.
    I found only 1 thread in the whole interwebs having the exact same problem (EVX-2 light won't turn on/stay green), and that guy gave up too.

I am very close to giving up and going brushless. It's such a shame though, currently perfect conditions for Summit (frozen snow with a layer of powder atop), but he just stands there, dead.
    Last edited by Jay81; 02-15-2017 at 04:38 AM.

I'll start by saying that you have certainly been thorough and performed your due diligence. You have methodically isolated components and ruled them out as the potential problem. We are still left with another area to investigate...
    Although the other component work solo, perhaps its a combination problem. When you were checking that the servos were working well and were fully seated, did you happen to test the motor while all servos were disconnected? Even working servos can sometimes cause havoc with electronic speed controllers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay81 View Post
    Spending xxx bucks on a new ESC when nothing hint towards it being broken is not the way to go here.
    I do not agree with this assertion. If everything else checks out, if the EVX-2 worked fine and then suddenly didn't, if the problem is rare and the instance found had no solution, then all sorts of indicators are pointing to needing to replace the ESC. While it is an extremely reliable piece, failures do occur, and there is no guarantee they will be visible.
    A replacement in the U.S. would cost $50.00 from Traxxas. Market price is sometimes $10.00 to $20.00 less.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Thanks for your input ksb51rl,

yes I have checked with only the ESC plugged into the receiver, and whilst I was at it, went through all possible combinations, to no avail. I also tried to hook up throttle to other channels...nothing.

I didn't mention it above, but of course I also reprogrammed / set the radio to factory default.

I agree now that it was premature to rule esc failure out; I just didn't want to believe it.
    Unfortunately I haven't come across a 2nd hand evx-2 under 65€ here, and since I can score a (used) Xerun 150a esc with motor for just double of that, I might skip the brushes altogether.

By no means I want to close this thread, I will keep trying to get the rig up and running until I get the Xerun.

I wish I could help more. I have extra EVX-2's but once shipping is figured in, the cost is prohibitive.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =