RC poster

Why did you pick a Slash 4x4?

Hi there, sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any thoughts and answers I can get.

For the past few weeks I've been looking around for good RC car and I just can't seem to make a decision. I thought I had finally settled on a slash 4x4 but now my eyes are drifting towards 1/8 scale buggys. (To be honest I've been looking at every kind of off-road vehicle available but I've narrowed it down to a slash or buggy...i think)

My situation is the following:
    I already have a few viable 2S & 3S lipos so if I go with the non-upgraded Slash 4x4 RTR the cost would basically be the car. Future costs would then be upgrades as things break along the way.
    I've however come across a very good deal on a 1/8 buggy which already has a lot of aluminum in it and if I've understood it correctly 1/8 buggys are quite tough. So the breakage cost and upgrades might be postponed a bit...or not. The thing is though that the buggy runs on 4S or 6S which I have none. So the difference in cost between the slash and the buggy would be eaten up by 1 maybe 2 4S lipos.

In the end the cost would be similar to get them up and running. The difference would be the quality of the parts.

I guess that what I want to do with it is the deciding factor, race on track or just bash around. But since this is my first "fast" rc-car I have no idea what I am after. Everything just looks cool on youtube.
    To make things worse I kind of like the possibility of upgrading the Slash 4x4 to whatever I am after as I go along. For some reason a 1/8 buggy feels more like its already where it should be. Or is it?
    I guess my dilemma is that I can only justify one car at the moment and I am trying to eat the cake and keep it at the same time.

So that leads me to my question. Why did you pick a Slash 4x4? What kind of driving experience were you after? I am hoping your thoughts and comments might help me discover what kind of ride I am after.

Thanks.

I chose the Slash 4x4 Platinum because it is very versatile.

I can make it into whatever I want (ie. racer, basher, monster truck, buggy,...) and can get parts at just about any hobby shop for cheap.

The possibilities are only bound by your imagination and creativity.

Choose wisely and have fun!

Edit: If not wisely, you can always add to your future hobby-class RC collection!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    I believe Squeegie just summed it all up right there.

I just got my Slash almost a month ago and it was my first "Real" RC car so I can't speak on other manufacturers but I was looking for 3 things and they led me to the Slash.

1. Durability-Check-You can find videos of Traxxas vehicles doing stupid things I would never do and they drove away fine.

2. Availability-Check-As Squeegie said, parts are cheap and plentiful. You don't have to wait for an internet order to get back on the road.

3. Versatility-Check-Again what Squeegie said, you can turn a Slash into anything. If you like buggies, look up videos or on this forum for Traxxas Backslash. People have made some really cool buggies out of the Slash.

I kept telling experienced RC'ers, "I want to drive hard and crash hard. And when I crash hard, I want to laugh hard"! They all pointed to the Slash 4x4. It has not disappointed.

This forum also helped me decide on Traxxas. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here that are happy to help.

Where are you going to run the car? Which buggy are you also looking at?
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    I bought the Slash 4x4 after looking at many others. It has the right blend of speed and reliability that I wanted. And the aftermarket support is second to none. Like was said before. You are only limited by your imagination. Slashes win races, speed runs, Phildog has gone 163 with his, bashing and just having fun. It is a great platform and if you look at Squeegie's thread you will see that it can become a very formidable buggy.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Where are you going to run the car? Which buggy are you also looking at?
    Arrma typhon 6s v2

Quote Originally Posted by kronblom View Post

So that leads me to my question. Why did you pick a Slash 4x4? What kind of driving experience were you after? I am hoping your thoughts and comments might help me discover what kind of ride I am after.

Thanks.
    For all of the reasons listed and I'll add one more.

I've been racing for almost 30 years. Most companies that produce 1/8 buggies are constantly changing them because they are built for racers. Ie: losi, associated, mugen, durango, tekno, kyosho. Every year or 2 a new version is available. A lot of times they are backwards compatable, but many are not. It's a roll of the dice.

So now, there are companies like Arrma that make the typhon. That's a basher based on the Durango race buggy. It can be made very fast and is incredibly durable, but how long will it be available?? I've got 4 Arrmas and while i really like them, I'm always wondering how long the parts support will last?

Traxxas......they almost never abandon any of their platforms. The 4x4 has been around for almost 7 years and they show no signs of slowing down. That truck is a HUGE money maker for Traxxas. So are the other 4 models based on the slash 4x4.

I have a couple of dozen vehicles by different companies. Losi, Associated, Arrma, Durango, Tekno, Mugen, Kyosho, ofna and HPI to name a few.

I have ZERO doubt that I'll have any issues finding parts or being able to buy a new slash for another 7 years. That's based on Traxxas' dependability. I wouldn't say the same thing about anyone else.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Enthusiast
    I bought my first rc car just before christmas. I looked on line and talked to my local hobby shop for probably a month before deciding on the slash 4x4 vxl. The toughness, parts availibility, and all the different ways you can build up the slash made my choice easy. The platform is easy to work on for a beginner, traxxas support is awesome, and this forum has been amazing with help and knowledge. After I showed a couple of my buddies mine, they ordered theirs within an hour. That being said it is addictive, and moderatly priced hobby. Ive had dirt bikes, side x sides, rock crawlers and still bird hunt with 2 dogs. This by far has been the cheapest hobby ive had. But you can still drop some coin for a toy ( as my wife puts it).

RC poster
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts, keep 'em coming.

Picked the Slash because:
    - Proven chassis
    - Reliable
    - Durable
    - Parts and Upgrade availability
    - EASY and FUN to work on and maintain
    - Traxxas Phone Support
    - Range - convert to monster truck - speed runner
    - 4x4

Cheers!

RC Competitor
    you can also transform them into incredible street machine and tune them for speed run its clearly the most transformable machine out there and also the amount of aftermarket parts is endless

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Well to tell you the truth my Slash picked me. Actually it was given to me from a friend. He saw that I wanted one and his friend that he was bashing with split so he passed it on to me.

I don't think there is one part from the original one on my truck now.
    Slash 4x4 Tekin RX8GenII w/Pro4 4300hd

RC Champion
    Went to my LHS as a noob years ago and the salesman said it was what I was looking for. Never had one regret buying the 4X4. Still love it years later even after buying a lot of bigger and faster stuff. It is a great truck.
    just a basher

I got my first Slash 4x4 in January 2010! I had a 2wd Slash and when they showed the pre-release of the Traxxas Slash 4x4 in October , I knew I had to have one! I have been addicted every since
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Seems I am leaning towards the slash again. I most likely will be getting a standard HCG tsm one. Since my lhs has that one in stock. Considering my erratic driving schedule it might last forever or break at once. I actually like the tinkering part, which for me means assemblying stuff lego-style.

Cool stuff. These a lot of folks, myself included, that real enjoy the maintenance, build, tear-down, rebuild, part of the hobby. That's why I like the Slash 4x4 - so open and easy to work on.

I will mention I have moved away from primarily using standard screw drivers. I use a small low torque power driver with swapable bits to make fast work of fasteners. I do use the hand drivers to torque and snug fasteners though, as a power driver can strip stuff if you go too far.
    Cheers!

RC poster
    Yup. Already have a small power driver. Looking at perhaps getting the mip speed bits.

RC Enthusiast
    A buddy of mine had a 2wd slash and I loved it and went to a lhs and saw a 4wd and bought it without thinking twice and I've had it for a couple years and love every minute with it! I've driven it through a pond and jumped a house and it's still rollin!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I read lots and lots of reviews here on the slash and stampede. I was also considering a buggy, tho 1/14 scale. I chose the slash 4x4 because it seemed to me like a good comprimise of the clearance of a monster truck, the high speed of a buggy, and decent stability witha few mods. I like to drive mine anywhere i can so i thought it was a good mix of versatility. I still hope to buy a stampede tho. Hope that helps!

RC Competitor
    Already had a Rustler XL-5, and wanted to try out a 4x4. Saw TONS of videos on how durable the Slash was, and it looked like a lot of fun. Bought the Platinum edition, and have loved every minute of it. I hardly ever drive the Rustler anymore (which will probably change once I VXL it.)

RC Racer
    I bought a Slash 4x4 HCG due to purchasing 2 one for me & one for my son budget thing. If it were just for me I would have gotten the Ultimate or at least a LCG with the audio. I think it's cool. not sorry about mine it runs great. it's a ball and I'm doing upgrades as I break stuff

I got my slash 4x4 after seeing my friends 4x4. I had just had my T-Maxx 2.5R as my only hobby grade RC and I was getting tired of paying $22 per gallon for nitro, so I decided to get myself an electric RC. The slash seemed to be the best all around choice, so bought one.
    "Gone racing"

RC poster
    Seems I've made my choice. Haven't bought the car yet but I already have some spare stuff on the way. No turning back now.

RC Competitor
    Congrats. You'll have a great time with it.

Congrats!
    You won't regret it!
    Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    It's my first and only hobby grade RC. Why did I pick the Slash? I guess because it seems good for bashing around and isn't a monster truck.

RC poster
    It has arrived. I just put in a 2S lipo and set the 50% trainer mode on the ESC. Then I drove it a few feet inside with a tiny bit of throttle. All I can say is this is going to be fun! I was grinning ear to ear. Having only experienced crawler speed before this will be something new.