RC Racer

New to me summit

I finally broke down and brought a used summit. I love my Slash for bashing and racing, but I finally decided I wanted a decent truck that I can get technical with and climb over some stuff in the woods behind my house.The truck is relatively stock. For upgrades, it has RPM a-arms up front, I was told the diffs are shimmed, single Hitec HS7954SH servo, and it has a Tekin RX8 Gen1 esc with a Tekin T8 2000kv motor.

Now as for questions: 1) Anyone have any experience with this esc/motor combo in these trucks, and if so any set-up tips? 2) I ran the truck on 4s this afternoon and everything seems to work, but it seems really fast to crawl with. It's geared 14/38 currently, and better suggestion to slow it down? 3) (May answer question number 2) There seems to be no difference between high and low gear. Both the front and rear diffs seem to lock fine, but I can't be positive what gear it's in. Any way to tell? 4)Steering seems to suck, but it could be due to the single servo. I do see guys run 1 servo though, so anything I need to change to make the steering tighter? 5) Lastly anything major to look out for, or preventative maintenance?

Thanks to anyone for the help! I'll post some pics later.

RC Qualifier
    I run a brushless 2000kv motor and it works great. It is fast for crawling, but in low gear it works. I just run the stock two servos and steering is Ok. You should see a huge difference between high and low gear. You might just take into a Traxxas dealer and have them look everything over. The Summit is an awesome truck, but it's a very technical one too. It's a double edged sword. Great capability, but lots that can go wrong. Honestly, I've only had to change a handful of parts even after going brushless. A couple of drive shafts, a wheel hex, a bearing and the out drives on the rear. It's tough, but with that much power, you're going to break stuff. Have fun!

RC Racer
    So today I dug through this rig thoroughly and found a few things that needed to be fixed/cleaned up. I completely disassembled the center diff and greased everything. Through the forums, I found that there is a set screw/spring/ball that pressures the shaft to shift between high and low gear. I found that assembly to be way too tight and needing to be cleaned. Now the servo can shift between high and low like butter.

I took the truck out today and it is awesome! I threw challenges at it left and right, and it climbed over everything I could find (even with the snow). The only issue the truck had was a run-in with an old barbed wire fence that got tangled in the front wheel and snapped an axle. Tomorrow I'll have a new one, and I'll be back at it!

The only issue I'm still really having is the lack of steering, which I think will be fixed with a 2nd servo, unless someone has other opinions on what to try.

New to me summit

Have you set your steering endpoints? Are you having trouble with the steering due to having the front diff locked? That'll really widen your turning radius.
    One thing is sure: you do not need another 330 to 400 oz-in servo on your rig.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-14-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Have you set your steering endpoints? Are you having trouble with the steering due to having the front diff locked? That'll really widen your turning radius.
    One thing is sure: you do not need another 330 to 400 oz-in servo on your rig.
    Yea, I rarely lock both the diffs due to the mammoth turn radius in that mode, better to stay in open diffs and use a little momentum if traction is an issue.
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

RC Racer
    So I got everything put back together, and decided to take some pics of the situation. The truck is on my vinyl kitchen floor, so it should have no problem turning. The first 2 pics are of what the servo can do. The 2nd 2 are with the truck powered off, and turned by hand. Right turning doesn't seem horrible, but left is pathetic at best.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Have you set your steering endpoints?...
    Also, have you properly centered the servo?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Got the servo fixed and everything worked great... until I moved the motor. The truck was on (my first mistake) and I wanted to adjust the gear mesh. When I rotated the motor though, the white lead on the motor touched the wires from the on/off switch (cut off and twisted together by the previous owner). I didn't notice a small cut in the white wire that left bare wires exposed and as soon as they touched, poof, ESC up in smoke. Great way to end 2 days of enjoying this truck. Guess it's time to either buy a new esc, or punt the truck and get a different one. Any recommendations on an ESC that would pair up with the t8 motor for cheap?

RC Racer
    So now after talking to Tekin, I have the option to buy a brand new gen 2 for $135 to my door. I don't really want to invest that much more in this truck, but I did really enjoy the time I have had to use it. Any opinions on what I should do?

Quote Originally Posted by exrider720 View Post
    So now after talking to Tekin, I have the option to buy a brand new gen 2 for $135 to my door. I don't really want to invest that much more in this truck, but I did really enjoy the time I have had to use it. Any opinions on what I should do?
    Unfortunately used trucks are always a gamble. Every one I have bought... Probably 7ish now (not all summits) has been described as in great shape and ready to run! Only one has actually been in that condition. I've had to replace servos, bent shock shafts, bent stub axles, a few escs and a ton of bearings... Usually all stuff you can't really see in a photo.

I really like working on them though so I try to get a good deal and go in with the mindset that every one I get is going to need a complete teardown and rebuild before I can run it.

The problem is that on some of these I end up getting pretty close to the purchase price of a brand new truck after replacing bad parts. This can be a hard pill to swallow, but I look at it as a learning experience and it really helps me figure out how the truck is put together.

It sucks that you have a bad esc now after your servo issues. With the size of this truck I don't know if there are going to be many esc options cheaper than what you can get from tekin. If you liked the truck at all though, stick with it...My Summit is my favorite truck to run.

RC Racer
    Do you think $135 is a good price for the gen2 esc? I looked around and list price seems to be about $200, and the cheapest I've seen on eBay is about $175

RC Racer
    So, I think I have finally decided on selling my Slash and sticking with the Summit. I was gonna ask for everyone's opinions, but I figured I would get biased results depending on where I posted. I love my Slash, but find myself using it less and less. I think the Summit fits my lifestyle better, and around my house are some pretty cool obstacles I can use it on. I'll sell the slash to buy the new esc, and hopefully some other goodies for the Summit. Hopefully I'm making the right choice.

That's a tough one man. I'd say keep em both if you can... But I'm pretty sure I have a problem... Don't listen to me.

RC Racer
    Yeah, it has been a back and forth for the past few days, but I think I've made up my mind. I used to race, but tracks near me are few and far between. Running the slash off the track can still be fun, but I built it to race and it's a lcg chassis, so off-roading gets tough. My deciding factor will be what I ultimately get for the slash though. I'm not going to let it go too cheap.

RC Racer
    I have the Summit, X-Maxx and the XL5 Stampede, all are fun and have different missions, although there is some overlap. Summit is probably the most fun though as I like rock crawling and trailing and it is content to crawl along at a very low speed while tackling obstacles. The other two will trail but need higher speed.

RC Competitor
    You can't go wrong with a summit.... You can bash, trail and crawl with it... I have many rc's and the mighty summit is my fav. It trails and crawls better than my trail/ crawl rigs because of its size... Rocks and other obstacles that are too big for my 1/10 scale crawlers is easy work for the mighty summit..... People that I go trailing with doesn't like when I take the summit out because the summit makes things look easy lol.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashmaxxsummit View Post
    You can't go wrong with a summit.... You can bash, trail and crawl with it... I have many rc's and the mighty summit is my fav. It trails and crawls better than my trail/ crawl rigs because of its size... Rocks and other obstacles that are too big for my 1/10 scale crawlers is easy work for the mighty summit..... People that I go trailing with doesn't like when I take the summit out because the summit makes things look easy lol.
    Agree, all true!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by exrider720 View Post
    So, I think I have finally decided on selling my Slash and sticking with the Summit. I was gonna ask for everyone's opinions, but I figured I would get biased results depending on where I posted. I love my Slash, but find myself using it less and less. I think the Summit fits my lifestyle better, and around my house are some pretty cool obstacles I can use it on. I'll sell the slash to buy the new esc, and hopefully some other goodies for the Summit. Hopefully I'm making the right choice.
    Keep the slash and get a summit too. Easy enough, right? You have to do whats best, understand. I have lots of money in my slash and thats one thing I always have trouble with is finding a spot to run it. Around the house and fields close by is not a problem but when my boy and me go else where its a matter of finding a place thats somewhat flat enough to run the slash 2wd. This has been the beauty behind my summit, doesn't matter what terrain I find it will go just about everywhere I want it too. Don't think you can go wrong with a summit.

RC Racer
    Agreed, you're not even having fun with a Summit IMHO until you can find some terrain your other trucks can't handle, the gnarlier the better.

Love my Slash 4x4 and my Revo 3.3 for bashing but my Summit is like a pet. Take it anywhere, drive on anything. It gets the most use by far.
    Still need a speed hit every once in a while though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Resurrecting my old thread. It took Tekin a little longer than I expected, but they finally came through with my replacement ESC. Proud owner of their newly released RX8 Gen3. Probably a long shot, but anybody else out there running the gen3 yet? I can't wait to finally get to use my Summit again!