RC Qualifier

Tried a cheap EBay motor today

So I've been having over heating issues with my velineon system for awhile now. It always over heats on 3s and some times 2s. Bought a fan for motor didn't help. Stock 11/54 set up 2.8 trenchers. So I thought I would give the goolrc cyw -3650 3300kv motor a shot for $14. Figured Lower kv should run cooler and get around same speed.

First off the rotor spins effortlessly , where as the velineon you can feel the magnets catch as you spin the rotor
    Second the wire colors are blue,yellow and orange you would think blue to blue, yellow to yellow and white to orange because that's left. Well when you do that forward and reverse get swapped. Ended up with orange to yellow , yellow to white.

Second it's has noticeably less torque it barely pulls a wheelie even with 3s. 3s with velineon is insanity.

Third the speed. again noticeably slower I'll hook gps to it tomorrow to get numbers.

So I did not have high hopes for a $14 motor but I thought I would give it a shot. I'll keep it around for when I go to beach or just want to run 3s or hook it up to my sidewinder 8th and see how it handles 4s.

But anyone who was thinking about trying a eBay motor my recommendation is to save your money treat your self to lunch or something you will get more enjoyment out of it.
    Bash it,Break it,Fix it,Rinse And Repeat

You might try a Hobbystar 550 (3655) in 3500kv flavor for $30 to $33 next time.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks for being a pioneer. The numbers are tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I run an 1/8th scale GoolRC 2650kv in a ECX 4wd Ruckus and it'll backflip from a standstill on 3s, 11t/45t gearing

Also run a 550 can 4300kv on 13t/45t in a ECX 4wd Torment and it rips pretty good.

Both run insanely smooth with way les cogging than my 3700kv Tacon motor

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Qualifier

This is the motor I got,

Well that explains it. The extremely deep fins mean that the inside diameter of the motor can is nowhere close to 36mm, and once you subtract the necessary room for the windings, you are left with a small, 380-size(ish) rotor. It is not at all appropriate for a Stampede 4x4.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Well that explains it. The extremely deep fins mean that the inside diameter of the motor can is nowhere close to 36mm, and once you subtract the necessary room for the windings, you are left with a small, 380-size(ish) rotor. It is not at all appropriate for a Stampede 4x4.
    yep, that's it. The GoolRC motors are extremely well received for what they are, but you have to get the right one.

I paid $25 for my 550 4300kv. I was hesitant at first, but after running it on my kid's truck, was extremely impressed.

I think my 4068 can 2650kv was about $35 or so. it was a bear to shoehorn into the truck but (40mm x 60mm) but definitely worth it.

I don't know if it's an indicator, but the orange cans seem to be the better ones.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

I once thought about getting a GoolRC esc/motor/programer kit... but wasnt sure of the overall quality, so i passed and went with something more name brand and reliable instead, research tis teh key.

Actually, if you lQQk more closely at that motor pictured, thats an actual heat sink attached with fan mounts.

I want to hear the long term if you stick with it. I plan on running a nicer Esc and a cheaper motor. The motor is super exposed on the 2wd.

Those GoolRC motors are pretty well received on some of the other forums but I'm sure it has to do with the right motor for the application. $14 is very cheap for anything capable of moving a Stampede 4x4(or Slash 4x4) There are some very affordable motors out there though. I run a Hobbywing SC8(about $60) and a RC Gearshop 1/8th scale(4074 can) 2150kv(about $40) in my Slash 4x4. 3s and 4s the thing is a beast! Have it geared 20/54 and it never gets hot.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Those GoolRC motors are pretty well received on some of the other forums but I'm sure it has to do with the right motor for the application. $14 is very cheap for anything capable of moving a Stampede 4x4(or Slash 4x4) There are some very affordable motors out there though. I run a Hobbywing SC8(about $60) and a RC Gearshop 1/8th scale(4074 can) 2150kv(about $40) in my Slash 4x4. 3s and 4s the thing is a beast! Have it geared 20/54 and it never gets hot.
    about the same here. hobbywing wp-sc8 and my GoolRC 4706 2650kv. probably 20+ packs at 3s at this point and runs very healthy.

I think some of the ESCs are OK but I would rather use the proven (and cheap) hobbywing.

On the ECX Ruckus on 2.8s, which is about 3" longer than a pede, I can do standing backflips, have run fully submerged, etc. I've run 2 packs back to back just hammering down on it and it's barely broken 115*

Best way to shop for the GoolRC is to look at the amps and watts. If you don't know what to look for, just compare the specs to a higher end motor lol.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Qualifier
    So after reading some of your post once I got home I decide to run it and get numbers.

2s 21.6mph 11/54
    3s 31.6mph 11/54

Brought it inside took it all apart and put it side by side with the velineon and took measurements.

Velineon 36mm can, 17.10mm rotor
    eBay motor 30.04 can , 13.20mm rotor

So yes you guys where correct when measuring at the fins it's 35.9mm but when you get down between the fins it's much smaller. I don't fully understand how a lower kv motor is some how smaller , it seems like the lower the kv the larger the can gets usually.

Again it was $14 if I had a brushed truck this would definitely be a great cheap upgrade but clearly not what I need. So I guess I'll do some more research and see if I can find what I need. That's good power on 2s but can handle 3s without over heating and larger tires with out going 1/8th.

I did see the orange can goolrc motors and the reviews where decent. I have a associated rc8.2e and that has the reedy system 2150 and even on 4s it doesn't effect it at all. I saw reedy has a 3500kv motor has anyone tried that?

This is my 3s run

This is 2s run

RC Competitor
    I don't think KV has much to do with can size really. I don't know though...

This is the 4300kv I have in my kid's truck ECX Ruckus
    ran about 33mph on 2s with 9t/45t on 2.8 trenchers
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoolRC-550-4...0AAOSw44BYCHjk

This is the 2650kv I had in my truck
    ran 43mph on 3s with 11t/45t on 2.8 trenchers. lifts the wheels pretty good
    One thing to note is that it is a 40mm can with small fins. It's a bear to jam into the ECX, not sure how much clearance the 'pede has
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoolRC-4274-...kAAOSwTglYmBhL

I'm tempted to try this motor out on 3s and 4s, but I gave my truck to my other son
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professinal-...MAAOSwXeJXfcv5

The motor you have is closer to a 380 can, is would be better suited for a 1/16 or 1/18 truck. It's a little deceiving with the cooling fins. The first number in most of these links is confusing too. In addition to 380/540/550 sized cans, there are a bunch of other oddball can sizes that look like part numbers. Apparently they are actually specific motor sizes (4274/4068/s2845/etc etc etc).

If you've got the room for it, I would definitely recommend the 40mm can. They are beastly and temps stay low.
    I had read so much about the hobbywing ESC/tacon motor combo being the king of cheap. With these higher-priced GoolRC motors, it's about the same price, but my 2 GoolRC motors run much smoother and cog less than my 2 tacon motors (1 of which - 3700kv - burnt out in a few weeks on 3s)

That motor looks small for sure. My progression through motors Left to right....stock Velenion 3500kv(3660can?)3mm shaft, Traxxas/Castle 2400kv(3670can)3mm shaft, Kershaw Designs 2700kv(3674 can)5mm shaft(this motor flat out rocks!!), RC Gearshop 2150kv(4074 can) 5mm shaft(the torque monster!)

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    I once thought about getting a GoolRC esc/motor/programer kit... but wasnt sure of the overall quality, so i passed and went with something more name brand and reliable instead, research tis teh key.

Actually, if you lQQk more closely at that motor pictured, thats an actual heat sink attached with fan mounts.
    Well what do you know, it IS a 380 can.... woopsy!

RC Qualifier
    Well what do you know, it IS a 380 can.... woopsy!
    Yea after doing some measuring looks like it. Lesson learned. It will be a back up motor.

RC Qualifier
    That motor looks small for sure. My progression through motors Left to right....stock Velenion 3500kv(3660can?)3mm shaft, Traxxas/Castle 2400kv(3670can)3mm shaft, Kershaw Designs 2700kv(3674 can)5mm shaft(this motor flat out rocks!!), RC Gearshop 2150kv(4074 can) 5mm shaft(the torque monster!)

Wow that's a nice selection !! What fit with out cutting and hacking up the chassis ? Half the problem is I have 5 2s lipos only one 3s that fits in stampede. So I'm trying to find a solid motor that I can run mostly 2s but I'm able to rip on 3s with out thermal shut down. I have no desire to change the esc. I don't full understand what is considered a good vs bad esc. The one I looked at that people like is the ezrun wp sc8. But if you look the specs it looks like the vxl-3 is better 200 constant amp draw with 320 burst, while the ezrun is only 120amps. Can any one explain why everyone seems to want to change esc? This is my bashing rig untill I buy a xmaxx so no need for sensored set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdopirak View Post
    Wow that's a nice selection !! What fit with out cutting and hacking up the chassis ? Half the problem is I have 5 2s lipos only one 3s that fits in stampede. So I'm trying to find a solid motor that I can run mostly 2s but I'm able to rip on 3s with out thermal shut down. I have no desire to change the esc. I don't full understand what is considered a good vs bad esc. The one I looked at that people like is the ezrun wp sc8. But if you look the specs it looks like the vxl-3 is better 200 constant amp draw with 320 burst, while the ezrun is only 120amps. Can any one explain why everyone seems to want to change esc? This is my bashing rig untill I buy a xmaxx so no need for sensored set up.
    I have run all of those,except the 3500, using the HW WP SC8 on 3s and 4s. I ran the 2400 with the vxl also. I'm pretty sure the vxl ratings are a little(maybe a lot) inflated. The SC8 is a solid proven esc. It will run most any motor you'll put in a Slash 4x4. If you you want a tick more you can get the Quickrun 8bl 150 amp for about $10 more
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    I have run all of those,except the 3500, using the HW WP SC8 on 3s and 4s. I ran the 2400 with the vxl also. I'm pretty sure the vxl ratings are a little(maybe a lot) inflated. The SC8 is a solid proven esc. It will run most any motor you'll put in a Slash 4x4. If you you want a tick more you can get the Quickrun 8bl 150 amp for about $10 more
    I found a funny car 2400kv motor for $68 on eBay thinking about grabbing it. I think it will fit in stampede with no cutting or modifications not sure tho. From what I read I have to gear high in order to have any fun on 2s. But It will really wake up on 3s

I found a funny car 2400kv motor for $68 on eBay thinking about grabbing it. I think it will fit in stampede with no cutting or modifications not sure tho. From what I read I have to gear high in order to have any fun on 2s. But It will really wake up on 3s
    Is that a new motor? If so, that's a good price, I paid about $60 for mine almost 2 yrs ago but now the Funny Car version of that motor is almost extinct. You can still buy the Castle version obviously. Not sure on fitting it in a Pede, hopefully someone can help out with that question...I had mine in a Slash 4x4. Gear it up! On 2s it'll be fun...on 3s it'll be a blast, on 4s(if your esc allows) it'll be a monster! I only ran mine on 3s and geared it 18/54, no heat issues at all. Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-6907-F...%257Ciid%253A1

It says it is. I wonder if they will start popping up again since the funny car is back in stock

Quote Originally Posted by mahrensx4 View Post

It says it is. I wonder if they will start popping up again since the funny car is back in stock
    Maybe! For a while there they were very hard to find. They are a really good motor for a Slash(Stampede) the only downfall is the 3mm shaft. A few guys had trouble breaking the shaft... I never had trouble with mine, still have it as a spare. They really like 3s
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by mahrensx4 View Post

Will this motor work with an old vxl-3s 2 pole esc? Or would I have to get a new esc too?

I'm pretty sure you'll need a 4 pole esc
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    Will this motor work with an old vxl-3s 2 pole esc? Or would I have to get a new esc too?

Hey don't buy it out from underneath me!!!! Kidding. Um I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. The reason is because I hooked up a 4pole velineon motor to a 2pole vxl esc that was in my rally "now my slash unlimited" and it fried the esc in 10 seconds. Smoke,sizzling the whole nine. But that is just my encounter with attempting to put 4pole motor on 2pole esc

Hey don't buy it out from underneath me!!!! Kidding. Um I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. The reason is because I hooked up a 4pole velineon motor to a 2pole vxl esc that was in my rally "now my slash unlimited" and it fried the esc in 10 seconds. Smoke,sizzling the whole nine. But that is just my encounter with attempting to put 4pole motor on 2pole esc
    Thanks man lol I'll just take your word for it. What esc did you use? The 4 pole vxl?

Had no idea there were 2pole and 4pole ESCs ... and its a shame traxxas would create an 1/8th scale motor, then turn down the pinnion end of the shaft to 3.17mm from its original 5mm size, then hear stories of shaft breakages.

Had no idea there were 2pole and 4pole ESCs ... and its a shame traxxas would create an 1/8th scale motor, then turn down the pinion end of the shaft to 3.17mm from its original 5mm size, then hear stories of shaft breakages.
    I'm pretty sure Traxxas didn't.

I don't remember hearing about a Velineon or TRX brushed motor shaft shearing off..

My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I don't remember hearing about a Velineon or TRX brushed motor shaft shearing off..

Member ElSob(usually in the Slash 4x4 section) had 2 shafts that I know of break on the 2400kv. There were a couple other members that had it happen as well. That was a year or so ago. I agree with Ksb.....this is actually a Castle motor, Traxxas didn't turn the shaft down...that's the way Castle created it. It's not really an 1/8th scale motor....it's a 3670 can my 1/8th scale is 4074...easy to see the diff in my pic post earlier.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    So what i decided to do is im going to run the crap out of my stampede vxl set up until it frys the motor, Than im going to Do the ELSob special the funny motor with the hobby wing wp sc8. But that might be awhile because racing season is starting up at the local track and i have Built my own Slash Unlimited out of a rally i had. I am dropping the new Castle creations 3800kv sensored with the mamba x in it. On top of that i have my RC8.2e i have to get tires for and replace my servo. And i think im going to order a X-Maxx here in the next week or so. I cant wait to have bashing sessions with the X-Maxx and the Stampede, Im going to start make some videos.

RC poster

I have a 3300kv running a 3906 emaxx with no issues on 3s..

So I've been having over heating issues with my velineon system for awhile now. It always over heats on 3s and some times 2s. Bought a fan for motor didn't help. Stock 11/54 set up 2.8 trenchers. So I thought I would give the goolrc cyw -3650 3300kv motor a shot for $14. Figured Lower kv should run cooler and get around same speed.

First off the rotor spins effortlessly , where as the velineon you can feel the magnets catch as you spin the rotor
    Second the wire colors are blue,yellow and orange you would think blue to blue, yellow to yellow and white to orange because that's left. Well when you do that forward and reverse get swapped. Ended up with orange to yellow , yellow to white.

Second it's has noticeably less torque it barely pulls a wheelie even with 3s. 3s with velineon is insanity.

Third the speed. again noticeably slower I'll hook gps to it tomorrow to get numbers.

So I did not have high hopes for a $14 motor but I thought I would give it a shot. I'll keep it around for when I go to beach or just want to run 3s or hook it up to my sidewinder 8th and see how it handles 4s.

But anyone who was thinking about trying a eBay motor my recommendation is to save your money treat your self to lunch or something you will get more enjoyment out of it.
    I run a few goolrc combos with zero issues and the speed and power match the traxxas setups easily....they are well received by most everybody that has one as well...Don't how long you have been doing rc, but if you had to change the color coded wires you may have had the option to reverse the polarity on the remote possibly, pretty common place thing with anybody with experience.... I have several rc's with goolrc setups with no problems and they match the traxxas setup and sometimes are better performers even.... I'll take a $35 combo for a stampede anytime over the high priced $135 combo from traxxas that performs just as well. In fact like I mentioned in the title I'm running a single 3300kv motor in the original emaxx in the 40's on 3s and two stampedes that are in the 60's with a 3500kv and a 4300kv motors. You mentioned castle and they actually run a bit hotter than the goolrc setups to. To each their own on the interpretation of a product. Boogie on !!!
    Last edited by onegoodscott; 10-08-2019 at 08:48 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by onegoodscott View Post
    I run a few goolrc combos with zero issues and the speed and power match the traxxas setups easily....they are well received by most everybody that has one as well...Don't how long you have been doing rc, but if you had to change the color coded wires you may have had the option to reverse the polarity on the remote possibly, pretty common place thing with anybody with experience.... I have several rc's with goolrc setups with no problems and they match the traxxas setup and sometimes are better performers even.... I'll take a $35 combo for a stampede anytime over the high priced $135 combo from traxxas that performs just as well...To each their own on the interpretation of a product. Boogie on !!!
    That was 2 and a half years ago

Somehow builds are never done....

RC poster
    Ya that is true, but clarification on what really works needs to be said when there is some bashing about something that can actually help another financially to obtaining a brushless system on the cheap that works that may be reading this post even though it is older.... I've been running these goolrc systems that long as well..........Happy Trails !!!

Quote Originally Posted by onegoodscott View Post
    I run a few goolrc combos with zero issues and the speed and power match the traxxas setups easily....they are well received by most everybody that has one as well...Don't how long you have been doing rc, but if you had to change the color coded wires you may have had the option to reverse the polarity on the remote possibly, pretty common place thing with anybody with experience.... I have several rc's with goolrc setups with no problems and they match the traxxas setup and sometimes are better performers even.... I'll take a $35 combo for a stampede anytime over the high priced $135 combo from traxxas that performs just as well..You mentioned castle and they actually run a bit hotter than the goolrc setups to. To each their own on the interpretation of a product. Boogie on !!!
    This is an old thread you may never get a reply. But the motor he was posting about is this one: https://www.evolst.com/products/cyw-...RoCLdYQAvD_BwE
    It is one of those 540 sized motors with fins so the guts are the same as 380 sized motors. It simply couldn't match a true 540 can like the Velineon actually is. He bought it and should of known what he was getting by just seeing the pictures.

I like GoolRC they just have a problem not being clear or accurate about what application they are adequate for. I have a GoolRC 3650 3930kv 4pole motor similar to what the above guy was complaining about. Which claims to be for 1/10 scale RCs but I have it in a 1/16th E-Revo big block. It may work in some light weight 1/10th scale 2wd vehicles but not many 1/10th scale 4x4 but they don't explain that to customers. They also don't advertise the possible amp/watt requirements of their motors. So I bet alot of people buy low end cheap ESCs for these motors with current capabilities below what the motor needs hence having a below expectation experience. I paired mine with a Castle Sidewinder 3 SCT esc which isn't a highend esc but also isn't cheap either and can deliver enough current. To make the GoolRC motor perform quite well but in a 1/16th RC 4x4.
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-08-2019 at 09:22 PM.

RC poster
    Ya that is true, but clarification on what really works needs to be said when there is some bashing about something that can actually help another financially to obtaining a brushless system on the cheap that works that may be reading this post even though it is older.... I've been running these goolrc systems that long as well..........Happy Trails !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I love my 3660 can, 2400kv GoolRc motor.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC poster
    Actually the motor he was talking about was a @3300kv, so maybe he got the kv wrong, hard sayin, and not that particular 380/540 size can with the ribs that is made, but those come in a higher kv rating and really better suited for 1/12 or smaller rc's and generally comes with a lower voltage/amperage esc as well....There is not a 3300kv motor by goolrc that is 3650 or the smaller 380/540 size it is a 3660 can with a 5mm shaft... I bought this same motor around the same time as this post as well and still run it....Didn't know based on the post with no current link, just trying to help people not in the know that the combos are not entirely what was mentioned....I've had just as good success with Goolrc as I've had with top shelf components...Rock on !!!
    Last edited by onegoodscott; 10-08-2019 at 09:54 PM.

The problem is GoolRC doesn't make any of their own products just like Castle. They design them and have them made in China. Then after a certain period those Chinese factories can sell those designs or make them under different brand names. The GoolRC cyw -3650 3300kv motor he bought is now sold under the brand SODIAL and many others if you search amazon & ebay. It also comes in numerous kv ratings.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1695097500?ii...hoC2xkQAvD_BwE

GoolRC changed the design now distribute these two examples. Plus other sizes not listed here.

https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-3000KV...ef_=ast_bbp_dp

https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-3930KV...ef_=ast_bbp_dp

You can find many knock-off Castle motors also but they usually are not of great quality.

P.S. Not sure why my other link in the earlier post to the GoolRC cyw -3650 3300kv motor quit working sorry.

I don't think he could of found the GoolRC 3660 for under $25.

https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-3800KV...d-games&sr=1-3

EDIT: Nevermind I was able to find a 3660 for under $25 but it is from SODIAL.

https://www.ebay.com/p/761344619?_tr....c100534.m4207
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-08-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Please don't get me wrong GoolRC has great stuff they just need to get rid of these finned motors that are misleading to newcomers to the hobby.