Thread: 60+ mph?

RC Enthusiast

60+ mph?

Currently I am running the 18T pinion and 54T spur in my Slash with a 2S LiPo. According to Traxxas that should be good for 40+ MPH, but I am only seeing a max of 39.6 on GPS (and 46 with the TLink RPM sensor)

Will adding 1 tooth to the pinion (19T) and another cell to the battery (3S) really make a 20+ MPH difference in my Slash like the box says?

3S is a completely different animal than 2S, let me tell you that.

Yeah, it'll make the 20mph difference if your battery is high enough mah and C rating.
    "Gone racing"

RC Racer
    gotta git me one just for giggles

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post

Yeah, it'll make the 20mph difference if your battery is high enough mah and C rating.
    If the rating is telling the truth it's a 5500mAh, 35C. We shall see.

Keep a very close eye on your temps when "speed" running on your stock system.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Meh 4S is where its

RC Qualifier
    3s is way way faster. Do you have a laser temp gun? It's a quick way to check temps between passes.

RC Enthusiast
    No laser temp gun, but I do have the Traxxas Telemetry installed so I can monitor the temperature that way. On my 2S it takes a while to get above 150, I am guessing 3S will be a little warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post

Will 30-35C 3S lips and 19/50 do it?

Remember, as per the manual...

The included optional large pinion gear is intended for high-speed running on hard surfaces, and this gearing is not recommended for off-road or repetitive starting and stopping.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Will 30-35C 3S lips and 19/50 do it?

you should be pretty close but don't run it long - that could be overgeared

RC Qualifier
    Mine is geared 18/50 and trust me it gets hot quick. No speed from those runs since it crashed before I could install the GPS but it was fast for a stocker. Tires Ballooned so bad they separated from the rim.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, I probably won't run it like this very long, it's almost too fast to handle at 40 MPH, I just need it to be faster than my neighbor's Stampede VXL 2WD. Every time he drives his he is pulling wheelies up and down our street and was just a little faster than my Slash with our stock trucks on 2S LiPo batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
    Mine is geared 18/50 and trust me it gets hot quick. No speed from those runs since it crashed before I could install the GPS but it was fast for a stocker. Tires Ballooned so bad they separated from the rim.

Wow! Which tires/rims? Stock?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah the stockers. This was my first time with 18/50 gears. I did not have very good control of it and not enough room to let it wind out. I got 55 on this run. Next time out I killed it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqVWT8_bj0c

RC Racer
    I've experienced Flipping Over at speeds of 60mph. Had to put 8 ounces of weight up front. How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
    Yeah the stockers. This was my first time with 18/50 gears. I did not have very good control of it and not enough room to let it wind out. I got 55 on this run. Next time out I killed it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqVWT8_bj0c
    Cool video! Like you said in that video, that's what I'm doing now; learning about speed runs and gearing, tire ballooning ahaha. Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by 06redssr View Post
    I've experienced Flipping Over at speeds of 60mph. Had to put 8 ounces of weight up front. How about you?
    Have to get the body as low as you can...some holes to vent the air will help as well. I have a 2700kv motor that I geared 20/54,stock body,stockish SC tires/wheels and hit it with 4s. It flew...literally...lol. Telemetry had it well north of 60mph when it went airborn....pretty spectacular crash on the street in front of my house,didn't think it would EVER stop rolling! Surprisingly nothing broke and I was able to give it another shot...same results..lol. Next time I try that stuff, I'll spend a little more time on body/suspension mods.....get it low so the air can't get under it.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Have to get the body as low as you can...some holes to vent the air will help as well. I have a 2700kv motor that I geared 20/54,stock body,stockish SC tires/wheels and hit it with 4s. It flew...literally...lol. Telemetry had it well north of 60mph when it went airborn....pretty spectacular crash on the street in front of my house,didn't think it would EVER stop rolling! Surprisingly nothing broke and I was able to give it another shot...same results..lol. Next time I try that stuff, I'll spend a little more time on body/suspension mods.....get it low so the air can't get under it.
    I have my suspension set up for the street (very low) but still need weight up front at speeds over 60mph. I also have it raked so the back is higher than the front. I'm gonna try putting holes in the back half of the body for venting air.

RC Competitor
    Not knocking traxxas here. But as cheap as an ir temp gun can be had. I would NOT rely solely on telemetry for accurate results. Def mixed results in my camp of trucks. Both nitro and electric with telemetry.
    Identical tmaxxes telemetry temp readouts off by 5-7 deg. While the my ir gun says exact same temp when running the two on the same day and tuned correctly. Like I said. Not knocking traxxas here. But another method of temp measurement is very cheap insurance.

How much of a real world difference do you think the 5 to 7 F makes? A brushless motor can easily have two to three times that difference in temperature from one end to the other.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Well, my first adventure into 3S land was interesting to say the least.

I wasn't able to do a true speed run as I was just in front of my house and a couple neighbors hard cars parked in the street. However, I was able to hit 50.2 according to my GPS, while the Traxxas Link application shows 76 MPH (I'm going with the GPS here)

I think I need to wake up early Saturday morning and find a big parking lot to see if I can open this baby up.

RC Competitor
    Speed telemetry readings off that far from your GPS. Wow
    Last edited by Geeps1; 02-15-2017 at 02:16 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeps1 View Post
    Speed telemetry readings off that far from your GPS. Wow
    Yup, about 25MPH off from what I am seeing. I am pretty sure I have the model settings correct in Traxxas Link too.