RC Enthusiast

A reference Summit Build

There are numerous threads about Summit builds and I would like to add mine for a discussion for others to build upon and make decisions in the future. I also want recommends/concerns/questions.
    I started off with a brand new Summit which I ran completely stock for 2 weeks before the first upgrade. And I recommend running a stock Summit if you have the ability to to begin a reference perspective. I use Traxxas 7600mah Lipos & Traxxas Dual Peak charger. There are many smaller upgrades regarding lighting & diff locking, high/low activation, etc that I will mention further below. Upgrades/ideas:

First upgrade was the KD 820 DeWalt motor w/ 17t. I later reduced this to 16t. This didn't offer particularly more speed but did give the Summit more torque. I used Simple RC temperature strips for monitoring temp without telemetry.
    Second upgrade was the addition of Savox SA-1231SG servo. 444oz .14sec @ 6V and the subtraction of both stock steering servos. I installed a washer under the servo spring, removed the unused steering arm and added the Revo Pit Pass steering mods. Replaced the plastic servo arm with a aluminum one. I removed the pillow ball dust boots and after every run I wipe the joints with a dry cloth.
    Third upgrade was modifying the F/R shocks. I replaced shock oil with Losi 80wt both front & rear and run double orange springs both front & rear. This really helps the squat on acceleration. Articulation doesn't seem to be compromised for my driving style.
    Fourth upgrade was installing Axial Rockster narrow beadlocks with Mudslinger tires. I really like this combo; heavy and great traction.
    Fifth upgrade was red seal hybrid bearings on all of the hub carriers. I figured I would upgrade the bearings to handle the extra load of heavier tires.

And (knocking on wood or rock) I have yet to break anything. The Summit amazes me for its robust and rugged construction.

I do not plan to upgrade the transmission for now. However I would like to install the LEM dog carrier & replace the bearings in the transmission later on when I perform its 1st maintenance. The stock cvd axles work great, are cheap and absorb torque through twisting so I do not plan to replace them. With that said I currently have the Castle MMX ESC and as of today I am awaiting delivery of the Castle sensored 2200kv motor. Starting off I will keep the 16t pinion. I have heard that some keep the stock 14t. I do not crawl very much nor do I want a 40mph speed machine. Utilizing the program ability of the MMX I plan to set limits to control the motors torque, throttle & punch as to not overcome the stock drivetrain.

I installed the optional roof rack light bar. The truck lighting is controlled by a Dr. Mad Thrust BEC/auxiliary switch unit linked to the high/low channel. The 3-position toggle switch on top has been reassigned for the diffs & H/L. The switch now works like this: High gear - Low gear - Low gear + F/R diff lock. I never have to worry about the locked diffs in high gear. I had to use a ******* servo reverser on the H/L servo to get it into the correct position for the toggle switch on top. All this leaves the parallel steering channel open. I used dark automotive silicone to fill in behind the lights to hide the light bleeding out. This makes the lights while on at night look much better.

Please feel free to share ideas, experiences, comments, etc. Thanks!

I have never heard of the RC temp strips, I will have to try. I am with you on the Slingers (Hence the Screenname), instead of hunting for Axial narrow's and worrying about the $ I bought the wide wheels and did the mod where you cut the wheel in half and make them narrow. I was suspect at first but they have held up great. I left the foam out of mine and they squat good, but terrible above a crawl. I am going to wait until the stock ESC/Motor/Servos go before replacing as they are working fine for my style. I did do the LEM Dog Carrier and absolutely recommend it. I love the idea of the black silicone behind the lights, that always bugged me. Crawling is my Summits main gig so I doubt if I will ever go Brushless. We have other rigs for that.
    Thanks for the write up!!

Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Enthusiast
    The temp strips are great. It's a long sticker and as the motor gets hotter these red blocks begin to appear with respective temperature. They start at 100deg F. I got my sensored motor today. And anyone else going down this path needs to know that there are 2 separate wire harnesses for the motor sensor. One is included with the motor. The other you have to order. I also added the HD slipper mod that includes the Hot Racing slipper and TMaxx brake disk. Do you still run the stock motor and pinion? I tried the mudslingers without foams and I agree that the tires become ideal for crawling. But for my type of driving I leave them in.
    It's going to take me some time to test different settings with the MMX.

I am still using the stock motor and pinion. I love the idea of the temp strips I have a temperature gun but seem to always leave it inside and end up using the "touch" technique...
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Enthusiast
    If you haven't tried yet check out SimpleRC.com. The strips are cheap and the people are great. There was a delay in my order so they added 3 more strips for the inconvenience.
    This brushless motor sounds very different than the brushed stock & DeWalt motors I am used to...

RC Enthusiast
    Since this is already being so very informative, I would like to make this humble request:
    When discussing or listing mods would you be so kind as to provide a part number; if possible?

This would be oh so helpful to us less knowledgeable folks��
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

RC Enthusiast
    Sure. Its a good idea.
    Let me say this, the MMX ESC & software is fantastic. The logging ability alone is incredibly useful. Whats really cool is you can print the settings of a particular driving profile and share them to help others get setup faster. After installing my MMX & sensored motor (its sensorless right now until I get the harness, p/n 011-0108-00) I gave it a test start in the apartment. To be honest its very slow crawl is impressive. I think by adjusting the torque limit & punch in the Castle software you can have the motor "spool" up to allow very slow movement. Until I get it out on flat land I still have the 16t. Here is what my Summit looks like so far.
    https://goo.gl/photos/CvWe9DCoCafNjN9o6

RC Enthusiast
    So I got some good time in today with the truck. After reviewing the data logging after a full run I made slight changes to some parameters. I also decided to drop the pinion down from a 16t to the stock 14t. While it was exceptionally fast, it made it unstable in even mild turns. The speed seemed excessive for what the Summit was designed for. I made several full throttle speed runs with a ESC setting of 90% of full throttle. Temps reached a max of 152F. I think the lower gearing will provide lower temp, more power and a light reduction in speed.
    Last edited by RWB77; 02-19-2017 at 11:36 PM.

RC poster
    How did you reassigned the toggle switch? How did you use High-Low rocker now?

RC Enthusiast
    I didn't reassign the rocker electronically, I did it by reorienting the servos in the receiver.

Channel 1 - Savox Steering servo
    Channel 1 - Empty
    Channel 2 - Mamba Monster X ESC
    Channel 3 - Dr. Mad Thrust 3A BEC Switch (for lights)
    Channel 4 - High/Low Speed (Needed a servo reverser inline to change the servo position)
    Channel 5 - Both differential lock either soldered together or Y harness

The H/L thumb rocker turns on my lights remotely now.
    Last edited by RWB77; 02-21-2017 at 09:29 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok,
    So I have got some good time in with my Summit. After reviewing the data logged after each run I have found the current settings to be ideal for my driving style. This is using the 14/68 stock gearing.
    Max Forward set @ 90%
    Drag Brake set to 0
    Full brake set to 50%
    Full Reverse set to 20%

I get an average temperature high of 151.2F on the MMX ESC and an average high of 132.5F on the motor. Keep in my this is sensored turning Mudslingers. This thing flies! I would like to post a video to show the vehicle in action. This would help others to see actual results in perspective of the settings. I'll try to get one uploaded to YouTube