RC Competitor

Is it normal for MIP axles to make some noise?

Finally twisted one of the stock rear axles off on my pede xvl 4x4. I decided to buy a rear set of MIP X-duty steel axles since everyone seems to really love them. They went together good, and fit great.....but they seem to rattle around a little bit when cruising the truck around. Nothings rubbing, and they seems to run smooth with no vibration....you can just hear them clank around every now and then. I'm assuming that since its a steel axle with steel parts knocking atound on other steel parts.....this added noise is normal....right?

RC Qualifier
    When I got my set they did that alot for about the first month or so then I'm guessing they "set in" and the noise of clanking metal from them stopped.
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

X duties were loud.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

I wonder if a little wax/bicycle chain lube would quiet them down. I use that stuff on all my metal to metal parts.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I wonder if a little wax/bicycle chain lube would quiet them down. I use that stuff on all my metal to metal parts.
    As others said they will quite down as they get dirt and grease inside of them and the tolerances shrink. Nothing to worry about.

I personally went w the race duty axels and stuck to 2S but I've been them a few times. Good thing replacement dog bones are only about 6 bucks. I like the weight savings and look a bit better. As soon as my son rips out the stock ones on his XL5 I'll get him the XDuty. His trigger finger is really rough on RCs.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info guys. I've ran about 6 packs through my Pede so far with the new axles, and they are definitely starting to quiet up a little bit.