RC poster

why cant my x-maxx do wheelies

hi guys,

i dont know whats up with my maxx but no matter what i do i cant seem to get it to pull wheelies. i got it to do it once when i tightened the slipper disc on 6s stock motor and esc on 19/50 but ended up stripping the gear. so i though if i got my self some metal gears stripping the gears wouldnt be a problem. its been doing my head in for the last few month and even made me want to give up on it. but i loved driving the thing and its such a beast over my other cars. so far this is what i have any help would be great

tried both max5 and 6 stock motor both set to highest puch
    2x venom 8s
    19,18,17 pinion/50,52,54 gear
    traxxas heavy duty 7777x front diff gear
    traxxas heavy duty 7778x rear diff gear
    twin blower fans

what am i doing wrong could there be something im not doing right or that ive missed???

RC Qualifier
    The slipper clutch needs to be near/or locked -
    If allowed to slip too much - the heat will give problems<
    fabricator

Traxxas Employee
    What is the discharge rate on those batteries? Even with your ESC set to the highest punch, it's still dependent on how much juice it gets from the batteries.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    What is the discharge rate on those batteries? Even with your ESC set to the highest punch, it's still dependent on how much juice it gets from the batteries.
    + available traction...

I can wheelie on grass all the time, pavement maybe 50% (depends on if its clean or dusty) and never on loose dirt

my slipper is no where near locked and it wheelies everywhere all the time on 18/54 with 6s 50c 6000mah batteries. pavement or grass, it will flip over. i'm installing the center diff to help reduce the wheelie action.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Qualifier
    with clutch slippage - low voltage the only issues
    8s Xmaxx 18/54 on 8s,max6,1600kv-center diff -stock 8s wheels;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isoWtovCrs0&t=140s

It doesn't help a lot with the wheelies
    I'm Way Happy with that
    fabricator

and now that i think about it, my truck pulls good wheelies on 4s as well.

RC Racer
    where can you find this center diff. im intrested in one kinda tired of throttle tapping to keep the truck from doing backflips on start.

RC poster
    im not to sure what the discharge rate is. but ill try all the above when its not raining here. ive got the traxxas 3s batteries i can try. ill order the gearing now and hope for the best

i have the backflip problem with my e-revo totally doesnt my head in bad.

btw here is the 4s venom batteries i got on my maxx

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Venom-150...UAAOSwB-1YvtF0
    Last edited by Double G; 04-24-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: merge, clutter reduction

Quote Originally Posted by dallas1990 View Post
    where can you find this center diff. im intrested in one kinda tired of throttle tapping to keep the truck from doing backflips on start.
    Traxxas part #7796. It's been out of stock all year.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7796

If you're running an original 6S, you can send the esc in ($175 core charge) and get the 8S power up kit that has the center diff and bulkhead pieces required.
    If you want you can take the center diff kit out and sell the rest but most, like me, are after a complete drive.

I finally pulled the 6S esc out of a nib 6S X I had so I could get the complete 8S drivetrain for my Kershaw rig.
    Last edited by rtmike; 04-24-2017 at 03:51 PM.

RC Racer
    Tighten your slipper clutch
    Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by dallas1990 View Post
    if you have a 6s, you can buy the center diff from an ebay chop shop and you'll also need to buy the new lower and upper rear bulkhead. or Unlimited Engineering makes a center diff that drops into a stock v1 6s x-maxx.

There's a center diff on ebay now, same seller I got mine from, lumnidave (sp?)

RC Racer
    i got the powerup kit. i didnt know that was a center diff lol

RC Racer
    Agree with crazyxmaxx, there is a sweet spot for the slipper, find it and your in luck with wheelie control, just like ERBE and Rusty, although I still run the bar on Rusty.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't even begun to look at my slipper but I've pulled one wheelie out of 6 runs. I guess I shouldn't complain as even though it's cool I can't put down any power when I want it too

I have my multi function knob set up for TSM. If you do as well and the above suggestions didnt help, turn down the sensitivity. I notice my truck wont do wheelies as easily with the TSM turned up too high. I can pull them pretty easily running 6S on stock gearing...
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    The slipper should only slip a very small amount - it's there to save the transmission really.
    If it's slipping quite a lot, you'll probably start smelling it, even see some fumes from the friction material and certainly feel it getting hot.

Al.