RC Racer

Unhappy Brand new X Maxx 8s ESC failed

Very sour right now. My brand new X maxx came in from Tower Hobbies today. Went to a big parking lot and plugged in my set of 4s lipos. Did my range check and then drove around for a while getting used to the handling. Ran it for about 15 minutes then it died. Light was blinking red. I figured this might be the low voltage cutoff, so I threw in a fresh set of lipos. As soon as I release my finger off the EZ-set button it shuts down. I can't get it to stay powered on any longer.
    I have van in the phone for a while with Traxxas support and we tried many things. After eliminating all options, we narrowed it down to a faulty ESC. I just unbolted the ESC and have to ship it back to Traxxas tomorrow.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry man, hopefully they get these issues ironed out quickly. A lot of people are dropping the stock ESC and putting in a Max 6 (hobbywing?). I can't afford that yet, but I may look at getting one just for piece of mind later.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    sorry to hear that Mooch! I got mine from tower hobbies as well, I'm a little nervous only run it on 6s, so far I'm babying it.

traxxas will take good care of you!

Like red mentioned above, looks like a lot of people are using the max6, so if plausible you can get a max6 esc until the new vxl-8s comes from traxxas, than you can use the max6 as a backup.

Sorry to hear, wish ya fast mailing time!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fourdub View Post
    sorry to hear that Mooch! I got mine from tower hobbies as well, I'm a little nervous only run it on 6s, so far I'm babying it.

traxxas will take good care of you!

Like red mentioned above, looks like a lot of people are using the max6, so if plausible you can get a max6 esc until the new vxl-8s comes from traxxas, than you can use the max6 as a backup.

Sorry to hear, wish ya fast mailing time!
    . Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I want to stay with Traxxas electronics. I wouldn't mind upgrading parts of the drivetrain and suspension, but I am going to stick with Traxxas power plant and ESC. I'm hoping I am just in the minority's with a faulty ESC, as this is a neat $1000 machine that should have higher end parts and good quality control on it. The good news is, after seeing my truck run (for half a battery) my Dad decided now he wants one. So off to the LHS tonight we go. Haha

RC poster
    Ijust had the same thing happen to me and now have to mail mine out as well did the same thing as yours

RC Enthusiast
    Bluelightning, I got mine last week, so far no issues. Remember only people with issues write about the esc failure. If it was really bad then there would be way more posts. This coming from a fellow Canadian

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet126 View Post
    Bluelightning, I got mine last week, so far no issues. Remember only people with issues write about the esc failure. If it was really bad then there would be way more posts. This coming from a fellow Canadian
    Coming from someone that had one of the ESCs go out, I agree with this statement. I think one of the first things you do if it goes out is come and post about it over here. It's what I did. Created an account just to post about it, ha!

RC Qualifier
    How many max 5/6 esc failures have you seen on here?
    I'm from rip off Britain

RC poster
    It's frustrating to install this pay $600 for all the power up and run the truck less than 2 min and it stops and won't start up again.

RC Qualifier
    What about the people like me that didn't even give the vxl 8 a chance? I swapped it day one because I don't trust it. Who's to say I wouldn't be commenting rite now that it failed on me too if I didn't swap it.. just saying there could be more faulty parts than we know
    V1 BL5/2028, V2 max6/5882, Erevo, Summit, Rustler.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddogg951 View Post
    What about the people like me that didn't even give the vxl 8 a chance? I swapped it day one because I don't trust it. Who's to say I wouldn't be commenting rite now that it failed on me too if I didn't swap it.. just saying there could be more faulty parts than we know
    I wouldn't worry. It looks like there's only 1 mention of a failure on the forum. If it was like the vxl-6s, it would be far more prevalent. As with anything else, there's never 100% quality. Just run and enjoy.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by m00s3 View Post
    I wouldn't worry. It looks like there's only 1 mention of a failure on the forum. If it was like the vxl-6s, it would be far more prevalent. As with anything else, there's never 100% quality. Just run and enjoy.
    Ha. ha. ha.

You didn't look very hard. There's been more dead 8s threads than I recall seeing for the 6s...mainly because it doesn't blow up spectacularly like the 6S does and Traxxas doesn't have to make a major replacement campaign yet.

RC Racer
    Yea there's def been more than just one. Quite a few failures have popped up here and there. I'm running a max6, still have the vxl-8 in the box from the upgrade kit. The way the max6 has held up for almost 2 years I don't see it getting replaced anytime soon. Hey at least people won't have to carry around a fire extinguisher anymore as it seems hopefully those days are over.

Hopefully it's isolated and it's just a few failures but it's worrying as summer hasn't even hit yet and the outside temps aren't really an issue.

RC poster
    Just had the same exact problem with my new 8S. 3rd drive, having to send the ESC & motor back. Not happy after spending $800+ batteries $300!!!

RC Champion
    Be glad that it simply stopped working as compared to some of the epic fails of the V1' s... Same stories with early EVX-2, the Titan boat ESC' s, the early Castle MMM' s, the AARMA controls etc. Seems they all have random failures early on. Not sure about Tekin and Novak (sadly Novak the only USA made brand went out of business)... But most of us feel your frustration and have experienced this at least once... fortunately Traxxas is really good about replacing 99% of the time.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT View Post
    Be glad that it simply stopped working as compared to some of the epic fails of the V1' s... Same stories with early EVX-2, the Titan boat ESC' s, the early Castle MMM' s, the AARMA controls etc. Seems they all have random failures early on. Not sure about Tekin and Novak (sadly Novak the only USA made brand went out of business)... But most of us feel your frustration and have experienced this at least once... fortunately Traxxas is really good about replacing 99% of the time.
    Novak had phase blowouts on many of their ESC models. They were the market leader in high output PWM sources, but their designs required electrical isolation on the heatsinks.

RC Racer
    I just want to follow this up with the fact that I purchased a second truck and it is running beautifull. I have ran about 6 pairs of lipos through it with no problems. I just got luck of the draw bad ESC with the first truck. It's the way she goes

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
    I just want to follow this up with the fact that I purchased a second truck and it is running beautifull. I have ran about 6 pairs of lipos through it with no problems. I just got luck of the draw bad ESC with the first truck. It's the way she goes
    Good to hear. I'm curious if anybody has compiled any data yet from failed ESC's. Like how much power they were running (6s vs 8s), and if anything got abnormally hot. My motor and ESC have remained rather cool so far. I'm running 8s, but i'm not pinning the throttle super often or for very long, and not running the batteries down either, only running about 20 minutes at a time. Not that you should have to baby the truck, it's just how I am with something new.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMustang View Post
    Good to hear. I'm curious if anybody has compiled any data yet from failed ESC's. Like how much power they were running (6s vs 8s), and if anything got abnormally hot. My motor and ESC have remained rather cool so far. I'm running 8s, but i'm not pinning the throttle super often or for very long, and not running the batteries down either, only running about 20 minutes at a time. Not that you should have to baby the truck, it's just how I am with something new.
    I'm not trying to defend Traxxas or anything, but I really don't think whether it was 6s or 8s or anything like that had to do with it. I just think a few ESCs were faulty straight up from the factory. Power has nothing to do with it.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not trying to defend Traxxas or anything, but I really don't think whether it was 6s or 8s or anything like that had to do with it. I just think a few ESCs were faulty straight up from the factory. Power has nothing to do with it.
    That's my guess as well, and my hope. I was just more curious than anything.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by suburbazine View Post
    Ha. ha. ha.

You didn't look very hard. There's been more dead 8s threads than I recall seeing for the 6s...mainly because it doesn't blow up spectacularly like the 6S does and Traxxas doesn't have to make a major replacement campaign yet.
    That's also untrue. But statistically, there's very few failures. Folks need to realize that these things occurred with an electronic device. So far I'd summarize it as "nothing to see here".

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    I wish you luck in sticking with the VXL-8S. Traxxas no doubt will take care of you the first 30-ish days. However, if history is any indication you'll be upgrading to a Max6 eventually. Even though this truck is expensive it is still made overseas and has flaws (ESC being the largest IMHO). Once you get the bugs worked out though it is a blast. I love mine.
    Sorry titan but I have to correct u on the new 8s esc from traxxas, they are made here in texas at the traxxas plant, I confirmed that with traxxas, u see this is there first esc since they dont use castle anymore with this application. All good just saying
    Last edited by Double G; 02-28-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    my vxl8s esc failed on my 8s xmaxx , i didnt even drive the truck 5 times . Solid red temp light on . Waiting on word from traxxas now . Im scared to use the new one if and when i get one. Makes me want to go max 5 .

RC poster
    Not sure if this helps, but when mine failed last week I was using the new 4S Traxxas batteries. Prior to that on the weekend, I was using the 3S and had no issues. I will say this, I was running the truck in the snow. After reading a few posts about water in box, I decided to crack everything open and dry. I had very little water, but I'm not sure if this could have lead to some of the issues I experienced.

Looks like everything will arrive at Traxxas on Thursday...hope to be back in business by next weekend!

RC Champion
    I would be curious to see if adding another servo for a mechanical brake, like 1/8 scale buggies/truggies, would make a difference in reliability. Not sure if anyone has data logged to see the amp spike of slamming on the (ESC/Motor) brakes would be. For a 8S huge heavy rig like this the brake hit must be huge. And maybe on a sensorless motor system that may be an issue. Agree, disagree??? Now that Castle released their Sensored motor, which had grest reviews IIRC, maybe they plan an Xmaxx sized sensored system?? Justva few random thoughts.. I suspect TRX will have better luck with this new 8S system as time goes by.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT View Post
    I would be curious to see if adding another servo for a mechanical brake, like 1/8 scale buggies/truggies, would make a difference in reliability. Not sure if anyone has data logged to see the amp spike of slamming on the (ESC/Motor) brakes would be. For a 8S huge heavy rig like this the brake hit must be huge. And maybe on a sensorless motor system that may be an issue. Agree, disagree??? Now that Castle released their Sensored motor, which had grest reviews IIRC, maybe they plan an Xmaxx sized sensored system?? Justva few random thoughts.. I suspect TRX will have better luck with this new 8S system as time goes by.
    There's nowhere to add a brake. Would require a new chassis for rotor/caliper mounts in front and behind center diff.

RC Racer
    *Update*

Just heard back from Traxxas. After looking at the ESC I sent back they are shipping me back A brand new ESC. Hopefully the second truck will be up and running again soon.

RC Champion
    Oh yes I meant a redesign, maybe trucks this big should have mechanical braking. But then again Traxxas does not call and ask for my enginerring opinions....LOL
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Enthusiast
    Let me ask u guys something if I can, what size battery are the guys running that had failure? Because traxxas recommends no less than a 5500 mah with 8s and I belive if Im not mistaken that the 8s that comes in the new xmaxx is suppose to be different than the one in the powerup kit, asking here, please explain, thanks all☺

RC Racer
    Mah doesnt matter at all unless you know the constant c rating. I could run a 4000mah 150c battery and it would be fine but a 5500mah 20c battery would fail first run.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kev kev View Post
    Let me ask u guys something if I can, what size battery are the guys running that had failure? Because traxxas recommends no less than a 5500 mah with 8s and I belive if Im not mistaken that the 8s that comes in the new xmaxx is suppose to be different than the one in the powerup kit, asking here, please explain, thanks all☺
    Neither the new xmaxx nor the powerup kit include batteries.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by m00s3 View Post
    Neither the new xmaxx nor the powerup kit include batteries.
    When I said 8s I meant the new esc not batterys

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk View Post
    Mah doesnt matter at all unless you know the constant c rating. I could run a 4000mah 150c battery and it would be fine but a 5500mah 20c battery would fail first run.
    Now wait a minute chipmonk, if ur saying a low 20c is no good then why does traxxas make 25c ? I have 2 traxxas 25c 4s and run them in my xmaxx with no issues, sorry just asking here

RC poster
    bought a new of a new 8S ESC did update and ran it for a hr no issues. I have my other one coming from Traxxas on tuesday next week as a back up. Probably won't need it but i will have it if I do. Traxxas was pretty quick on the turn around.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kev kev View Post
    Now wait a minute chipmonk, if ur saying a low 20c is no good then why does traxxas make 25c ? I have 2 traxxas 25c 4s and run them in my xmaxx with no issues, sorry just asking here
    It all depends on the c rating AND the mah rating. That tells you how many amps the battery can put out. a traxxas 5000mah 25c batter can only put out 125A (5x25=125a), where as a 8000mah 25c can put out 200a (8X25=200a) which is bare minimum i would use on the xmaxx. Its a power hungry system, thats why you see people puffing the 5000mah 3s lipos traxxas sells all the time. Im not sure why they sell such low c rated batteries. They have a good warranty but i still wont buy them because i dont want to puff one and have to wait on a warranty. I use smc 7200 90c batteries (7.2x90=648a). See the HUGE difference in power delivery? Also you will see it when driving in a high c rated battery vs a low c rated battery.

RC Enthusiast
    true C rating is best, but manufacturers takes different test methods...
    So what to believe ???

The colder the lipo the better, not nor really but for comparison it is best to adopt this ...

The colder a lipo is the better. Traxxas, at least the 3s 5000mah compare to the 5000mah 60c in temp wise. Same configuration and use in high demands static tests. I assume it is the same for the 4s 25c 6700mah

I was confident enough to buy the combo charger and 2 6700mah 4s lipo.
    Time will tel if it was a smart move to make
    Last edited by Double G; 03-04-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: bypassing language filter

RC poster
    I had the same problem. Within 30min of getting the truck and running 8s batteries the ESC went up in white smoke. Traxxas replaced in within two week under warranty and now the replacement doesn't even want to start up. Moving over to aftermarket. Think this will be the last Traxxas product I purchase.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Funny. My 2 year old 8s esc is still going strong, and the couple of bash buddies that picked one up are working smooth as silk, running strong and cool in the hot weather
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    . Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I want to stay with Traxxas electronics. I wouldn't mind upgrading parts of the drivetrain and suspension, but I am going to stick with Traxxas power plant and ESC. I'm hoping I am just in the minority's with a faulty ESC, as this is a neat $1000 machine that should have higher end parts and good quality control on it. The good news is, after seeing my truck run (for half a battery) my Dad decided now he wants one. So off to the LHS tonight we go. Haha
    Awesome....