RC Racer

Part list for the Cush Drive / Torque-Biasing Center Drive Upgrade

Hello all,

I did this for my own information so I could be ready to order the parts needed to get rid of the slipper clutch and upgrade to the cush drive/torque biasing center drive. For what it's worth I haven't had any issues with my slipper clutch other than a bit of slipping while wet so I will wait to upgrade.

I complied this list referencing the exploded parts diagram. Only part that wasn't listed on the updated parts list was #2551 and I added it on the list. Also, you only need one of the spur gears that are highlighted depending on what gear ratio you want to run.

RC Champion
    Thanks appreciate it!!!woot woot
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC Champion
    Just called traxxas if I can order the center differential but was told not available yet..
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC Racer
    Woooooooooooo thanks much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    UE has one out for the X MAXX works with the stock bulkhead.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperX-Maxx-...oAAOSwXYtY1ZQ6

Thanks for this. I started 2 go through the exploded view so I could remember some of the part numbers, too many, lol.
    I was able to score the center case on ebay. Apparently a 8S chop shop.
    With all the money I've sunk in my 1st V1 I'd take an absolute killing if I ever put it up for sale so I'll turn it into a 8S rig.

Traxxas released the new rear bulkheads (7727x) this last Monday so I snagged some.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    UE has one out for the X MAXX works with the stock bulkhead.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperX-Maxx-...oAAOSwXYtY1ZQ6

That's just the gear. I ordered a pair of those too.
    Last edited by rtmike; 03-30-2017 at 06:23 PM.

edit: less ckutter, lol.
    Last edited by rtmike; 03-30-2017 at 06:24 PM.

RC Enthusiast

Just received the center differential gear from Unlimited Engineering and put it in the truck last night. The gear feels really stout and fits my V.1 truck perfectly!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I am still debating getting that despite having bought the 8s power up kit. Whats nice is you can change out that diff case for an HR aluminum one or the stock cast case from traxxas, since i have some doubts about that case holding up under 8s power. but i could be wrong. UE makes some great stuff. But i also want to keep my slipper setup and not move to the cush drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by zellison View Post

Just received the center differential gear from Unlimited Engineering and put it in the truck last night. The gear feels really stout and fits my V.1 truck perfectly!

RC Enthusiast
    We shall find out if the stock Traxxas diff case can hold up. I'm currently running 8s with a Leopard 1090kv motor. All I'm really hoping for is a little less shock to the driveline. It seemed the old direct drive setup was pretty hard on things running 8s. Anyway, this route is way cheaper for me than locating all the parts necessary for the Traxxas version. I already had all the diff components needed for the kit.

We shall find out if the stock Traxxas diff case can hold up. I'm currently running 8s with a Leopard 1090kv motor. All I'm really hoping for is a little less shock to the driveline. It seemed the old direct drive setup was pretty hard on things running 8s. Anyway, this route is way cheaper for me than locating all the parts necessary for the Traxxas version. I already had all the diff components needed for the kit.

That's the route I'm taking.

RC poster
    Can you still adapt over to the cush drive with this unlimited engineering kit?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure. I will find out shortly. I just bought this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by LipoJuice View Post

Thanks

RC Enthusiast

Thanks
    The kit only contains the main output gear, two bearings and four screws. You'll have to provide the differential components (spider gears, seals, cup ,etc.). Once you have those components you'll have a center differential that fits into the V1 rear bulkhead. Not sure what the difference is between this and the V2 cush drive. Maybe it's the bearing size?

RC Qualifier
    I'm going for the UE option.
    Traxxas came up with the CD just when it was needed, with the 8S coming out.
    The increased bearing sizes will be harder wearing than the original 6S ones on mine, I just don't like having to replace perfectly good bulkhead parts - cheap as chips 'though they are.
    There's no saving to be made, just parts.

What's the thinking regarding viscosities?
    Thicker transmits more to the rear, less spinning out power at the front?
    If that's the case, I may have to 'wimp out' and keep it a little thinner, to lessen the unprovoked wheelies.

What is Traxxas' stock centre diff viscosity, 500k?

Al.

I think you'll be happy on the general basher w/ 15k-30k wt oil. It's much like a high powered 1/8th scale buggy, on a racetrack they are under 15k in the center diff. So for bashing up that a little and 30k maybe good starting point.

This is with a center diff and about 30k wt oil, and as you can see, wheelies are no problem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq776bxCLfo
    Originate! Never Duplicate

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for that.
    Point taken.
    I'm going to start with 30k.
    I was also thinking it should be in excess of 100k, with the size, weight and power.
    Time will tell. I'm sure there are similarities, but each will be slightly different.
    Al.

RC poster
    Just got an X-Maxx, and I am super excited to get bashing. In my first run in the neighborhood I noticed the truck has a tendency to flip over forward on heavy braking. Yes, I'm sure I can control my braking a little better, but wouldn't a center diff help a bit when braking? Considering the UE diff mentioned in this thread. Thoughts?

RC poster
    The kit only contains the main output gear, two bearings and four screws. You'll have to provide the differential components (spider gears, seals, cup ,etc.). Once you have those components you'll have a center differential that fits into the V1 rear bulkhead. Not sure what the difference is between this and the V2 cush drive. Maybe it's the bearing size?

V1 xmaxx came with a slipper clutch, v2 comes with a cush drive like a street motorcycle. I'm just curious if the updated bulkhead is required to fit just the cush drive.

My UE kit is on the way, just need the 8s driveshafts to get in stock at Tower.

RC Qualifier
    it's 20M, i believe. I don't even know where to find that. the highest i could find was 1,000,000.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas R&D had to come up with a thick enough, 20M diff fluid,
    they manufactured/went threw all weights -

Now we have a hooked up product,with a minimal failure rate
    GO TRAXXAS
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    V1 xmaxx came with a slipper clutch, v2 comes with a cush drive like a street motorcycle. I'm just curious if the updated bulkhead is required to fit just the cush drive.

My UE kit is on the way, just need the 8s driveshafts to get in stock at Tower.
    It'll all fit within the stock V1 bulkhead. The Traxxas version requires the V2 bulkhead.

I've tried 65k diff fluid in mine during a quick test and it very quickly over drove the front tires. I could get it to pull wheelies, but it was a lot harder. I'm going to try 500k and see if that keeps the power planted more towards the rear.

RC Qualifier
    I've heard so many stories regarding this centre diff and the viscosities its ridiculous.
    Too thin and it'll spool up, spin out power on the front - not too bad if you want it planted and want to take it to tracks, but useless if you want to bash and wheelie A BIT.

Too thick and power remains near-enough 50-50. If I lock up my centre diff it'll be like having an 8-speed gearbox, but being stuck in 2nd - pretty pointless.
    20M's got to be wrong - may as well simply put a locker in, unless there are no gears inside, just the 20M!!
    15k's got to be wrong - no offence to UE - too thin.

I still think somewhere between 50k and 100k - reasonable resistance, yet will permit different wheel speeds front / rear.
    Wheelies are still possible, but also with judicious control, fairly heavy throttle applications can be used.

Al.

RC Racer
    Since Photobucket sucks a big one.....

Here are new links for the part list for the Cush Drive / Torque-Biasing Center Drive Upgrade

I complied this list referencing the exploded parts diagram. Only part that wasn't listed on the updated parts list was #2551 and I added it on the list. Also, you only need one of the spur gears that are highlighted depending on what gear ratio you want to run.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Do you have a part number for the 20 million wt diff goo? Does anyone else make lower wt xmaxx center diff fluid? My truck wheelies a bit too much, and would like to try 15m wt to keep the ft end down a little more...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

5040 is the part # for the 20 mil grease
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv