RC poster

Rustler VXL - Do I really need 50c+

First off... I love everything about this vehicle. Fast, durable... and super easy to fix when I abuse it.

When i converted to lipo a year or so ago I was sold a 3s/5000mah/50c battery from the local hobby shop. I'm now in the market for a replacement. maybe 2. The question is do I really need a 50c battery for this truck?

I've been reading a bunch about this lately and understand the "c" is the discharge rate. And the math for a 50c/5000mah battery means it could deliver 250 amps.

What I don't know is how many amps is the vxl motor is ever going to try and pull. Is 250 amps overkill? Or could I buy say a 35c/5000mah (175 amps) and not notice a difference?

I do about a 50/50 mix of bashing and full speed runs through baseball fields.

Thanks.

Higher c is always better so get the highest c rating within your budget. That is a good question got me curious to what the vxl3s and velineon motor pull too. Ill see if i can find specs on it. I run smc batts and have been impressed with them.

92.5 mph Rustler (R.I.P.)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Higher c is always better so get the highest c rating within your budget. That is a good question got me curious to what the vxl3s and velineon motor pull too. Ill see if i can find specs on it. I run smc batts and have been impressed with them.

86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Thanks, Briber. It's not necessarily about budget. If 50c will be beneficial then I'll get it again. If 100c would gain me mph I would probably get that instead. For me it's really about tailoring the battery to the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

This may help a bit... read the c rating part or better yet all of it.
    https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

I think your ok to go lower if you want, 50c is my max I have so far with no issues.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post

86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    As an aside... is this where you bought the SMC batteries? Couldn't find them on Amazon.
    smc-racing.net

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    This may help a bit... read the c rating part or better yet all of it.
    https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

I think your ok to go lower if you want, 50c is my max I have so far with no issues.
    Nice! It even lists this motor by name.
    So it looks like under normal circumstances this motor pulls between 65 and a 100 amps. A 5000mah/20c is safe to a 100 amps. So take in extra load like added weight and terrain and a 5000mah/25c (125 amps) should be more than than this truck will ever need... at least that's my interpretation.

Thanks, JerrysMaxx.

Under normal circumstances the VXL motor will rarely get up to, or over 65A. Often the biggest problem to find a lipo with the right abilities is not to know how much your combo demands but to find a lipo manufacturer that is honest with its specs.

Besides that, the often discussed C-rating is nowhere described in detail.
    Nobody is born with experience

I think the c rating thing is very confusing. I've read numerous articles/threads about it and it seems there are no real guidelines for manufactures when it comes to these ratings. As Peterj60 said...how do we know who's being honest? If you look..Traxxas doesn't sell a pack with a rating over 25c. With all that said, I run my Rustler vxl/3500 on Traxxas 2s/4200/25c packs and my Slash on a SMC 3s/5000/50c pack. Zero issues with any of them.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    so then is this battery overkill??? not trying to hijack. i need to get a battery that will push me over 70mph and for $60 and 90C, it looks pretty good.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=400

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    I think the c rating thing is very confusing. I've read numerous articles/threads about it and it seems there are no real guidelines for manufactures when it comes to these ratings. As Peterj60 said...how do we know who's being honest? If you look..Traxxas doesn't sell a pack with a rating over 25c. With all that said, I run my Rustler vxl/3500 on Traxxas 2s/4200/25c packs and my Slash on a SMC 3s/5000/50c pack. Zero issues with any of them.
    Well that's annoying then. It's starting to sound like a marketing ploy (like mobile 4g) to jack the price up.
    All else being equal, a venom 20c=$60, 35c=$75, 50c=$109, and a 100c=$128

I may just experiment then. I already have a 50c. I might try the 20 and 35 just to see if i notice any difference. Although it seems like someone must have already done this. i'll keep digging.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerpivot View Post
    Well that's annoying then. It's starting to sound like a marketing ploy (like mobile 4g) to jack the price up.
    All else being equal, a venom 20c=$60, 35c=$75, 50c=$109, and a 100c=$128

I may just experiment then. I already have a 50c. I might try the 20 and 35 just to see if i notice any difference. Although it seems like someone must have already done this. i'll keep digging.
    I agree it's a little annoying. I would stick with a reputable source and you'll likely get good packs that deliver as advertised. Not really sure Venom is one of those. I never had one but many comments here and elsewhere are not the best. SMC and Traxxas I have and both are quality packs. SMC has packs like you listed at MUCH better prices as well. Here's a 150c 2s pack at $50. Good luck!!

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=401
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Sadly SMC makes it confusing with a 150C spec and 190A. A 6000Mah 150C battery should be able to supply 900A, not 190A.

RC poster
    Yeah.. I was just using venom as an example as they had a lot of options on the site i was looking at. But they just don't make it easy for a novice like me. Using that example I have no idea if i need to spend $60, $130, or somewhere in between.

SMC is throwing a monkey wrench at me as well because they list all their batteries as 2S2P or 3S2P. With the 2P wouldn't that mean 4 and 6 cells respectively?

Budget is a personal thing. I would never spend $100 for a Lipo. I guess the most expensive one that I bought was around $60.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerpivot View Post
    SMC is throwing a monkey wrench at me as well because they list all their batteries as 2S2P or 3S2P. With the 2P wouldn't that mean 4 and 6 cells respectively?
    Correct. Example:

Last edited by Petertje60; 02-22-2017 at 01:36 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the diagram! That answered my next thought about which balance connector would need to be used in this scenario. Even though it's technically a 4 cell battery you'd still use the 2S connector.

Thanks for all the help folks. What I gather from this discussion is there is no magic formula to "match" battery specs to a motor/ecu. And I should stop overthinking this and just buy and an SMC battery

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    True. Just get a battery to suit your power needs. If you have. 120 amp ESC. Get a battery capable of delivering in that range of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venom batteries aren't the best, but if you have a problem they got the best warranty. But I'd stick with SMC or traxxas.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Under normal circumstances the VXL motor will rarely get up to, or over 65A. Often the biggest problem to find a lipo with the right abilities is not to know how much your combo demands but to find a lipo manufacturer that is honest with its specs.

Besides that, the often discussed C-rating is nowhere described in detail.
    SMC has been honest with us consumer's when come to sell they Lipo pack's specifications. before i moved to SMC I did my research I found many forum recommending they Lipo pack's. SPC was a good company too but some how they close down like i mentioned on a another thread in here.

Traxxas is good too can't complain about them that's where I started. If you need a high C rate Traxxas is not for you but besides that they are good.

Venon has good CS but they Lipo life is very short if you want to deal Ping-Pong "send back wait for them to send another new pack for you is up to any of us that choose it. "yeah any new product is good when it still new"

my 2cent's
    moar faster, yeah I drive like I stole it.