Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    11

    Vxl tire advice please

    Hi my American cousins I need some advice regarding my 2wd rustler vxl. Basically I stripped one of my hex nuts on the rear, which has also stripped the wheel socket :/ Anyway I just bought a pair of Fastrax mega v 2.8 and assumed they'd be the same size as the original chrome all star. Well the wheel is, but the tire is much bigger and wider.... My question is, what will happen if I run them seeing as they are bigger and I still have the all stars on the front? I plan on getting some trenchers all round but as I'm in the UK they are stupidly expensive so will have to import from tower hobbies. I'm pretty new to traxxas but now own 3 ( slash 2wd vxl, stampede but my Rusty is my favourite.... Please help

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pass Christian, MS
    Posts
    162
    Hey; http://www.apexmodels.com/index.php?...5m2h2vgp88h409 Are these the tyres? I did a quick search and it seems that no one is giving OD measurments. how big are they compared to the stampede tyres? wider isn't really going to hurt anything unless they rub against the chassis. weight may be an issue on the driveline. The big issue would be heat. I would err on the side of caution and drop a few teeth on the pinion or/and go up on the spur gear and break out the temp gun. I have to issue this disclaimer though, my experience is with the older 2 pole velineon systems, heat may not be an issue for the new one's but...better safe than sorry.

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    11
    Hi Stoic, thanks for the reply. I have several issues there lol.. 1. I only have the stock spur and pinion nor do I have a temp gun.... I'm pretty much a noob, and traxxas in the UK seems to be a bloody expensive hobby. An 86t spur over here is equivalent to 6 dollars and they're not readily available as most stores won't stock traxxas parts. All of my upgrades have come from ebay. Didn't think wheels and tires would be that much of an issue to get, unless I'm missing something... I've done a make shift job on the he and glued it into the wheel but whether it holds remains to be seen.... What tires would you suggest. I run mainly on road, probably more dirt when the weather picks up. The stock rears have died in about a month so want something hard wearing. Don't want to shell out 70 every couple of months lol

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    11
    PS... Yes those are the tyres you linked too

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pass Christian, MS
    Posts
    162
    Since you're a noob, there are some things you need to get in order to make your RC experience a lasting one, first....money. And lots of it. but seriously, If you're going to to stick with the hobby you need to have tools to protect your investment. first off is a temp gun(i don't endorse this particular brand it was just the first one that came up) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Handhe...-/401281346878. traxxas also offers temp sensors with their "telemetry" system. with the cars you have you should have a nice collection of pinion gears already. but you should have two or three spurs because they will eventually strip. as far as tire/wheel selection, everyone has their favorites, I've been using these tires on these wheels for a while now and they have held up to pretty much everything i've thrown at them(I do B I G jumps at 40-50 MPH), even the SC8/2700kv combo i have now on 3S.
    http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/HPI-4894.html
    http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/JAP-1972.html
    they are BIG though, bigger and wider than the 2.8 talons on the 'pede. I run these aired and don't tape them or use foams. I've found that the paint/chrome peels off of most wheels and makes it harder to keep them glued, plus I reuse my wheels and when you boil them to remove the tyres it ruins the paint/chrome anyways.
    I do hate gluing tyres though so i was going to give these a try next. though i don't know how they'll act in the dirt. http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prods...L10116-14.html
    Last edited by stoic4now; 02-26-2017 at 09:53 AM.

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Stoic, it's funny because I was looking at the primes. What do you do about the offset between the front and rear? I've already stripped 2 spurs, but have 4 more on order . I've ordered a second pair of the Fastrax for the front although there will be an offset but I'm not too bothered.
    The hub that I glued seemed to hold and was able to get her back out today I will certainly look at a temp gun. Just waiting for my big bore shocks and rpm Arms. Already upgraded the casters and hub carriers.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pass Christian, MS
    Posts
    162
    I don't worry about the offset. I just use the Nitro rear wheels all around. That way i can rotate the tires front to rear. i do use the wider(grey) hexes on the front. I also did the "jang" wide front mod to the rusty. aside from the aluminium tranny it's about the best mod I've done.
    Let me know how the fasttraxs work out,
    Last edited by stoic4now; 03-02-2017 at 06:40 PM.

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    11
    Hi Stoic, got the Fastrax on, and have to admit they seem pretty good. Infact they balloon less than the original all stars. I dropped In the pinion from my pede so temps should be fine, although still need to grab a temp gun. The offset is quite noticeable but gives the car a hot rod look and doesn't seem to affect the handling In any noticeable way.
    I was looking at the wide mod and was wondering if you could explain it to me. My understanding is that if I get the rpm wide Arms plus longer links it will push the front out so all the tyres will be the same distance from the body is that correct? I'll see if I can upload a photo later so you can see how the Fastrax look.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren75 View Post
    Hi Stoic, got the Fastrax on, and have to admit they seem pretty good. Infact they balloon less than the original all stars. I dropped In the pinion from my pede so temps should be fine, although still need to grab a temp gun. The offset is quite noticeable but gives the car a hot rod look and doesn't seem to affect the handling In any noticeable way.
    I was looking at the wide mod and was wondering if you could explain it to me. My understanding is that if I get the rpm wide Arms plus longer links it will push the front out so all the tyres will be the same distance from the body is that correct? I'll see if I can upload a photo later so you can see how the Fastrax look.
    yep, you're correct with the rpm offset compensating arms. that's what i did with my slash. (slash and rustler share the same arms.) i mainly did it to widen the front, so i wouldn't have to keep track of front vs. rear tires. i can just rotate them anyway i want! plus, with this mod, you can use fronts all the way around for an even wider stance.

    hope that helps!

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren75 View Post
    Hi my American cousins I need some advice regarding my 2wd rustler vxl. Basically I stripped one of my hex nuts on the rear, which has also stripped the wheel socket :/ Anyway I just bought a pair of Fastrax mega v 2.8 and assumed they'd be the same size as the original chrome all star. Well the wheel is, but the tire is much bigger and wider.... My question is, what will happen if I run them seeing as they are bigger and I still have the all stars on the front? I plan on getting some trenchers all round but as I'm in the UK they are stupidly expensive so will have to import from tower hobbies. I'm pretty new to traxxas but now own 3 ( slash 2wd vxl, stampede but my Rusty is my favourite.... Please help

    hey darren75...........since you own both a rusty and 2wd slash.........please take a look at my thread here and hopefully you have some of the answers i'm looking for......

    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...r-vs-2wd-slash

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbunnie View Post
    yep, you're correct with the rpm offset compensating arms. that's what i did with my slash. (slash and rustler share the same arms.) i mainly did it to widen the front, so i wouldn't have to keep track of front vs. rear tires. i can just rotate them anyway i want! plus, with this mod, you can use fronts all the way around for an even wider stance.

    hope that helps!
    They do not share the same front arms.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •