Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    10

    Rustler VXL No Steering

    Hi Everyone,
    Hope you can help. My son and I are new to RC cars. We have a Rustler VXL and an XL5 we got a few weeks ago and been having a blast with them so far. My son was running the VXL this am and suddenly the steering went out. Still have forward and reverse. I checked the connection from the steering servo to the ESC and it seems okay. No broken wires. No sound coming from the steering servo its just dead. Any suggestions from you experts out there before I contact customer service?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    773
    2 things to check that are usually the culprit:

    First just try to turn the front wheels manually. If they turn with minimal effort you're good there.

    Next thing is to open the receiver box and see if the servo plug popped out. If it did all you have to do is plug it back into channel 1 on the receiver and you'll be good to go
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thank you invento123. Wheels turn freely. Checked the servo plug and it was fully seated on the connector.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Champion lektro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach/ South USA !
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Saf98tj View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Hope you can help. My son and I are new to RC cars. We have a Rustler VXL and an XL5 we got a few weeks ago and been having a blast with them so far. My son was running the VXL this am and suddenly the steering went out. Still have forward and reverse. I checked the connection from the steering servo to the ESC and it seems okay. No broken wires. No sound coming from the steering servo its just dead. Any suggestions from you experts out there before I contact customer service?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not sure this will work but you can sure give it a try. Can't hurt! Try setting everything back to factory defaults. Transmitter and receiver. Recently there was a gentleman here FlyingTigerDad that could and would tell you anything you needed to know. Have not seen him around lately. I did notice you said you checked the wires from the servo to the esc. Did you mean the receiver box and did you open it and check?
    Last edited by lektro; 02-26-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Not sure this will work but you can sure give it a try. Can't hurt! Try setting everything back to factory defaults. Transmitter and receiver. Recently there was a gentleman here FlyingTigerDad that could and would tell you anything you needed to know. Have not seen him around lately. I did notice you said you checked the wires from the servo to the esc. Did you mean the receiver box and did you open it and check?
    Yes receiver. Sorry typo on my part. I haven't tried setting everything back to default but I have tried swapping the two connectors (servo and rear wheels) on the receiver and could make the rear wheels turn by turning the steering knob but could not make the front wheels turn. Looking like a bad servo?

    Thanks again



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Hampton Roads
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Saf98tj View Post
    I have tried swapping the two connectors (servo and rear wheels) on the receiver and could make the rear wheels turn by turning the steering knob but could not make the front wheels turn. Looking like a bad servo?
    Sounds like you are on the right track to me. Perhaps test the servo plugged into the other car you mentioned having to be sure.

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    10
    So just to update. The root cause was a faulty servo. Traxxas replaced it under warranty. However I was able to fix the faulty servo. I found a link on youtube that showed how to repair a 2075 servo by removing a fuse on the pcb board and soldering in a wire in its place. I tried the repair and it worked. Was a bit tricky due to the tiny size of the component but wasn't too difficult.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •