Thread: LiPo Safety

RC Racer

LiPo Safety

From what I can understand, LiPos are dangerous when puffed, otherwise physically damaged and when overcharged/overheated.

I guess what I am asking is, if I have new, undamaged LiPos that are at storage voltage, do I need to place them in a fireproof container when stored in the house?

There is a lot of sensational misinformation on the internet, Youtube videos etc. that makes LiPOs sound like they are ticking time bombs ready to go off and burn the house down at any moment.

I think the truth is, if they are not abused or physically damaged, overcharged, overheated etc. they are as relatively safe as any other battery.

Am I wrong here or should I build a bomb shelter in my basement to house my LiPOs?
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

yep, they are really only a problem when abused/over-discharged/over-charged. but at storage voltage they are plenty safe. that being said i still keep all mine in lipo sacks when not in use because some of them are getting older and you just never know, one might have taken a big physical hit that day that you aren't aware of.

So no, no bomb shelter LOL. lipo sack or ammo can to keep them in is nice insurance.
    rizzodtheRCvlogger - www.youtube.com/user/rizz0d

Storage state has less energy than full so can still cause a risk. If it's near flammable material then you are adding hazards. Forest fires are generally caused by a small flame initially.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Enthusiast
    I store my lipos in a plastic storage drawer - certainly not by the book but beats a bed of dry pine straw. If they show signs of damage or voltage issues I just get rid of 'em and I've started checking the voltages before i put them away. That gives me enough peace of mind knowing the ones i have around are in decent shape, without resorting to the bomb shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnybravo View Post
    Am I wrong here or should I build a bomb shelter in my basement to house my LiPOs?
    If you do then you should build a bomb shelter around the gasoline cans, cleaners and whatever else in the garage and adding explosion-proof piping around the gas lines entering your house.

Even the batteries in your phones have potential for lighting up.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    If you do then you should build a bomb shelter around the gasoline cans, cleaners and whatever else in the garage and adding explosion-proof piping around the gas lines entering your house.

Even the batteries in your phones have potential for lighting up.
    LOL, I know, that is why I am asking. Even certain models of coffee makers were known to catch on fire and had the potential to burn the house down.

I don't want to get carried away here, my LiPO packs are all Traxxas and brand new so I am not really worried. I keep them at storage voltage in the house but was just concerned how much of a safety risk hazard the LiPos are if I keep them in the house and whether they should be stored in fireproof metal ammo cans when not installed in the vehicles. They ship these things regularly by air from the online distributors, if they were that much of a risk they would be considered HazMat and the insurance carriers would be issuing all kinds of warnings. Just trying to balance the risk without getting overly concerned.

RC Racer
    I went to Cabela's last night and bought a steel ammo can for storing my Lipos, rather be safe than sorry although I think the risk is very low if the batteries are charged and discharged in accordance with the mfg's instructions and a little common sense is applied.

RC Enthusiast
    I went to Cabela's last night and bought a steel ammo can for storing my Lipos, rather be safe than sorry although I think the risk is very low if the batteries are charged and discharged in accordance with the mfg's instructions and a little common sense is applied.
    That's what I think.
    The only problem I see with an ammo can is, if you store all your batteries in one can and one battery goes bad, it'll take the rest of them out with it!
    Still, better than burning down the house, eh? Better safe than sorry.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    That's what I think.
    The only problem I see with an ammo can is, if you store all your batteries in one can and one battery goes bad, it'll take the rest of them out with it!
    Still, better than burning down the house, eh? Better safe than sorry.
    I thought of that, I would need four of the ammo boxes, one for each LiPo I have, so I thought that might be overkill. The risk of a well maintained LiPo blowing up while at storage voltage is really pretty low, so not too worried. Worst case scenario I'd lose about $400 worth of batts but contain the fire.

RC Enthusiast
    I thought of that, I would need four of the ammo boxes, one for each LiPo I have, so I thought that might be overkill. The risk of a well maintained LiPo blowing up while at storage voltage is really pretty low, so not too worried. Worst case scenario I'd lose about $400 worth of batts but contain the fire.
    Yep, I think it's overkill too.
    My ol' Army ammo box is kind of big for the purpose. Looks like it's probably made for 50 caliber rounds. I was going to check and see if there are smaller boxes that might make more sense for a 5000/20C battery.
    From what I understand, the risk is very low - especially at storage charge. I've been told you'd almost have to TRY to make one 'blow up' by hammering a screwdriver through the cells! More likely, a bad one would just start leaking, or swell to the point it's obviously gone bad.
    Just a little common sense and caution and proper handling is really all that's needed. If you believed all the horror stories your read on the net about these batteries (not Traxxas batteries specifically), no one would be using these things at all!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    Yep, I think it's overkill too.
    My ol' Army ammo box is kind of big for the purpose. Looks like it's probably made for 50 caliber rounds. I was going to check and see if there are smaller boxes that might make more sense for a 5000/20C battery.
    From what I understand, the risk is very low - especially at storage charge. I've been told you'd almost have to TRY to make one 'blow up' by hammering a screwdriver through the cells! More likely, a bad one would just start leaking, or swell to the point it's obviously gone bad.
    Just a little common sense and caution and proper handling is really all that's needed. If you believed all the horror stories your read on the net about these batteries (not Traxxas batteries specifically), no one would be using these things at all!!

Totally agreed, I put all four LiPos in the ammo box and parked it in the middle of a ceramic tile floor in the entry way when I went on a five day business trip this week. Came home last night and all was fine. I think you're right that the dangers are way over stated. A little common sense and good safety/charging practices and I think they're probably as safe as any other electrical appliance around your home.

RC Racer