RC Racer

New Aton on the way

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an Aton from TH. It'll be here Thursday so I'll be doing a lot more reading between now and then. The last drone I had was the one from Brookstone and it didn't last very long. Looking forward to get to flying.

RC poster
    Congratulations!... these new drones are pretty amazing! I have found the Aton to be pretty tough too.

RC Competitor
    mine has been in the top of a tree and the bottom of a pool still ticking

Awesome, welcome to the club! Don't forget to get yourself a micro sd card and make sure you're on the latest firmware!

RC Racer
    I'll definitely update the firmware first thing. Should be here tomorrow hopefully this wind dies down.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Well it arrived today and this thing is super cool. It was dark by the time I got the battery charged and did the firmware update and read through the manual but did get about 10 minutes of flight time in. I can see it taking a bit to get used to the controls enough to be comfortable. Hopefully the wind is light enough to try it out tomorrow. Love it already and want to get good enough to put a camera on without worrying about crashing with a go pro or FPV on it. I've got to say this a lot of technology for the money, Traxxas priced it right.

RC poster
    Yep where I live it is always windy & I have yet to learn how to fly in the wind -- no problem getting the Anton up- the hard part is trying to land, if I do a RTH it well miss by about 5 to 8 feet from where I took off not bad but the wind takes all the fun out of flying.

RC poster
    Question about the firmware: The release date for the current firmware version is March 2, 2016. Is it really true that when you buy a brand new Aton you have to go through the hassle of updating it with firmware that is over a year old? That seems preposterous.

Not knowing when the Aton left the factory would make me want to check the firmware version anyway.
    Oh, and congrats Jeff!

RC Racer
    This thing is a blast!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffm1000 View Post
    I'll definitely update the firmware first thing. Should be here tomorrow hopefully this wind dies down.
    Don't let the wind spook ya! My experience so far is the Aton handles the wind VERY well. (Very amateur flyer here.)
    Went flying today in Twain Harte (northern CA) at an elevation of about 3700', pretty windy with a rain and snow storm coming our way.
    Wind didn't seem to bother it much. My friend ran his camera up on his Aton with the fixed camera mount (forgot his 2-axis gimbal) and STILL got a nice and steady video up a hundred feet or so. I flew my Aton out in front of his, although I was a bit concerned the wind might grab it and slam it into his. Not.
    I flew in Sports mode a few times today, and the Aton didn't seem to care! I did! Sweaty palms and all…..

Have fun, and congrats on your new Aton!

Great guys!
    Finally had a sunny day here and spent a couple of batteries. I was a little rusty but it came back fairly quickly.
    Love this thing!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffm1000 View Post
    This thing is a blast!

Hello Jeff,
    It is a Bomb, is it ?!
    You know you can use Traxxas Flight Link app on your smartphone to set ALL Pitch/Roll & Yaw(Rutter) settings for every Mode (Film, Sport, Expert) so you follow a learning curve until you get to Max settings in Expert ! Congrat for getting your Aton !

RC Enthusiast
    how do you know if you have the latest FW?
    Last edited by Double G; 03-22-2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by Rixxie33 View Post
    Should read FW- not FM
    Connect to the app via Bluetooth and check.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you- I have a new one arriving tomorrow morning at 930am!

Thank you- I have a new one arriving tomorrow morning at 930am!
    Congrats, you're going to love it!

RC poster
    I ordered my Aton yesterday after reading all the awesome reviews. I have been a Traxxas fan for over 10 years now. One question I do have is can I attach my Go pro without the gimble? The description says camera mount but the more I read I’m finding that the camera mount is for the gimble to mount to, is that correct?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by #1BamaFan View Post
    I ordered my Aton yesterday after reading all the awesome reviews. I have been a Traxxas fan for over 10 years now. One question I do have is can I attach my Go pro without the gimble? The description says camera mount but the more I read Iím finding that the camera mount is for the gimble to mount to, is that correct?
    The base Aton comes with a regular camera mount that accepts any type of gopro. Aton plus comes with a gimbal that only accepts certain type of camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    how do you know if you have the latest FW?
    I purchased my Aton about a month ago , and the firmware listed as current is what mine is on 3.3.2.13 I never had to update. Seems as tho Traxxas has not updated this in awhile , or maybe they don’t need to . This Quad is amazing I just now tried sport mode today for the first time and all I can say is too bad it gets dark early now cause I would have went back out if batteries were charged. I’ve got about 14 flights now and it’s so addicting! I’ve now added dual lights to the front to help with orientation and sun glare

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by T-RAX View Post
    I purchased my Aton about a month ago , and the firmware listed as current is what mine is on 3.3.2.13 I never had to update. Seems as tho Traxxas has not updated this in awhile , or maybe they don’t need to . This Quad is amazing I just now tried sport mode today for the first time and all I can say is too bad it gets dark early now cause I would have went back out if batteries were charged. I’ve got about 14 flights now and it’s so addicting! I’ve now added dual lights to the front to help with orientation and sun glare
    Heck Yeah! so glad to see happy Aton owners too, even over a year later. I agree, form and function out of the box is so awesome out of the box. Really hope Traxxas gets it together to make the 3-axis gimbal and FPV available soon !!