RC Competitor

XMaxx V2 - Steering doesn't answer

So I got my X-Maxx back from Traxxas with a new ESC a bit over a week ago, and I've run it every day since. I was just running it around my yard a bit this afternoon, and the steering stopped working. I figured the batteries might be low, so I turned everything off and brought it all inside. I checked my temps, more out of curiosity than any real worries, and everything seemed fine (mid 90s for the ESC, 105 for the motor). I did a few things around the house, then put in some fresh batteries and fired it back up. No steering. Forward/reverse are just fine, though. When I turn the radio wheel, I can hear the servo doing something, but there is no movement. I turned off the power, lifted the truck, and tried to turn the wheels on my own, but it appears to be stuck somehow. Is it possible that the servo seized? If so, any idea how that happens? I haven't read or seen anything about that anywhere else, so I really don't know. Any thoughts/ideas?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yep same problem I experienced with V1 X-Maxx. had to send it back to Traxxas after trouble shooting everything. THey diagnosed it as bad receiver but I'm not convinced that was the problem. This has actually happened to a lot of V1 owners on this forum.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Yep same problem I experienced with V1 X-Maxx. had to send it back to Traxxas after trouble shooting everything. THey diagnosed it as bad receiver but I'm not convinced that was the problem. This has actually happened to a lot of V1 owners on this forum.
    Interesting. I just got off the phone with Traxxas Support, and they had me fire it up so they could hear it. Right away, they said that the servo was bad and that they're sending me a new one. It should be here in 4-5 days. Bummer that I have to miss the weekend.

RC Qualifier
    Call Traxxas support
    fabricator

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VistaKing View Post
    Interesting. I just got off the phone with Traxxas Support, and they had me fire it up so they could hear it. Right away, they said that the servo was bad and that they're sending me a new one. It should be here in 4-5 days. Bummer that I have to miss the weekend.
    thats the ticket
    fabricator

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I bought a new servo myself thinking that was the problem but it wasn't! Replaced EVERY electronic component but nothing worked. sent it in for traxxas to fix it.

I'm curious to see if the new servo will help vistaking

RC Competitor
    I've removed the servo and took it apart just to see if there was any obvious physical damage. I couldn't find any, but it was an interesting exercise. I put the gears in place one at a time, and it seemed to move just fine until I placed the final one in, and it just froze there. I have no idea where the problem could be.

Can someone with experience answer something for me? Once removed from the chassis, I still had the bar attached that attaches directly to the servo (I don't know what it's called), and when trying to move it back & forth, it was totally frozen - locked up. For the experienced, when you take the servo out on it's own, should the mechanism be able to freely move? Or would it take lots of torque to get it to move like that?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by VistaKing View Post
    I've removed the servo and took it apart just to see if there was any obvious physical damage. I couldn't find any, but it was an interesting exercise. I put the gears in place one at a time, and it seemed to move just fine until I placed the final one in, and it just froze there. I have no idea where the problem could be.

Can someone with experience answer something for me? Once removed from the chassis, I still had the bar attached that attaches directly to the servo (I don't know what it's called), and when trying to move it back & forth, it was totally frozen - locked up. For the experienced, when you take the servo out on it's own, should the mechanism be able to freely move? Or would it take lots of torque to get it to move like that?
    Look...only you know for sure if its the gears or not that are bad. If you were just casually driving and lost steering then you know the servo isn't the problem.

when I had this problem...I thought It was the servo and bout a new one for almost $50 and installed it and it did the same thing as the stock...slow click sound even though it wasn't stripped. Trust me when I tell you it's not the servo.

I believe it's the BEC in the ESC that's causing this problem.

RC Competitor
    Look...only you know for sure if its the gears or not that are bad. If you were just casually driving and lost steering then you know the servo isn't the problem.

when I had this problem...I thought It was the servo and bout a new one for almost $50 and installed it and it did the same thing as the stock...slow click sound even though it wasn't stripped. Trust me when I tell you it's not the servo.

I believe it's the BEC in the ESC that's causing this problem.
    I feel like I offended you somehow, and if so I apologize as that was never my intention. When you had your issue, were the servos that you used still in working order once you got the ESC/BEC issue resolved? Or were those destroyed due to the ESC/BEC issue?

All I was trying to do was to gather as much information as possible about the nature of the servo itself, so if it was indeed still in working order, then I would know to pursue other paths instead of just waiting for the new servo to arrive (it will be here tomorrow).

RC Competitor
    He wasn't offended Vista. Lol. GRustler just used "look" to preface his statement. Much like "to be honest" etc. it's his verbal tic
    He who dies with the most toys, wins.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 0dark3rt View Post
    He wasn't offended Vista. Lol. GRustler just used "look" to preface his statement. Much like "to be honest" etc. it's his verbal tic
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping.

So I got my replacement servo in today, replaced the old servo, then reassembled the truck. Put in the last screw, and realized that I forgot to put the driveshaft back in... ugh, such a rookie. Took it all back apart, inserted driveshaft, re-reassembled, and all seems to be well. I'd still like to hear some feedback from GRustler, if possible. I'm not sure that I understand how to diagnose the issue if there really is something going on in the BEC/ESC as opposed to the servo.

On a separate note, once I took apart the old servo, I was pretty taken aback that those things go for $50. There just doesn't seem to be that much to them I guess. Oh, well. Pay to play I guess.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea I was not offended, sorry for the confusion. I used "look" exactly how @0dark3rt stated above lol

To answer your question, The servos I had were still good. The BRAND NEW one I installed from ebay didn't work and did the same thing as the stock one so I knew it wasn't the servos that was causing this problem. It was the ESC/BEC.

So my question @Vistaking did the new servo work? if so, then your situation was different from mine I guess. After replacing everything and my servo still not working I decided to send to traxxas as a last resort. I sent in just the electronics. Traxxas sent back the same servo and stated the receiver was the problem but i'm a little skeptical about that.

I ended up selling the extra electronic components I had, on ebay. Received positive feedback. Everything still worked
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 03-09-2017 at 08:46 AM.

RC Competitor
    So my question @Vistaking did the new servo work? if so, then your situation was different from mine I guess. After replacing everything and my servo still not working I decided to send to traxxas as a last resort. I sent in just the electronics. Traxxas sent back the same servo and stated the receiver was the problem but i'm a little skeptical about that.
    Yes, the new servo did work, so I think I'm ok. Thanks for your feedback on this one.

RC Competitor
    if you just hear the motor spinning that means you chewed the bottom most gear which touches the motor which may sometimes be turned 180 and you are good.

I just took my xmaxx of a large jump that I hit frequently but with extra sauce and landed and no servo at all after. Checked the connection esc checked esc took apart and the soldier was fine. bought another for 45$ and that would be my 3rd

RC Competitor
    Same thing happened to me on my first two servos G-rustler. That was a costly one, new servo and old worked new hobbywing esc that was frustrating being three months old I never even sent it in Maybe ill plug it back in for the heck to see if it works