RC Racer

What Exactly is Traxxas ID Battery Technology?

I recently bought the TRA 3062X Traxxas to Molex adapter for my 4amp, TRA2975 Traxxas fast charger, so I can fast charge my 6 cell Duratax Onyx NiMh batteries off the same charger as my 7 cell Traxxas NiMh packs.

Will the TRA2975 charger automatically detect whether I have a 6 or 7 cell NiMh pack connected or is there more to this ID technology that allows the charger to only detect Traxxas packs?
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

RC Racer
    As a test, I connected two Onyx NiMh packs, both near full charge, both 6 cell packs, one 1500 MAH and the other 3000MAH. I was getting only one green flash on the Traxxas fast charger indicating a low state of charge and pulled them both off after about 10 minutes and they were both at about 9 volts or 1.5 volts per cell....at full charge. I'm not trusting that the Traxxas charger is detecting the number of cells connected and am being cautious.

ID incorporates the lipo balance leads into the main battery connector. The charger will be able to identify the lipo battery and charge it. With nimh batteries it uses the same Gen2 Traxxas harness as the lipo but does not have balance leads. The 4-amp charger you have will work with both 6 and 7-cell nimh batteries only and should be able to detect the voltage and charge appropriately.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    ID incorporates the lipo balance leads into the main battery connector. The charger will be able to identify the lipo battery and charge it. With nimh batteries it uses the same Gen2 Traxxas harness as the lipo but does not have balance leads. The 4-amp charger you have will work with both 6 and 7-cell nimh batteries only and should be able to detect the voltage and charge appropriately.
    Thanks, it worked perfectly on the Onyx NiMh 6 cell packs after discharging them fully. It went through the full sequence of flash rates, 1-4 flashes and then went solid green after about 50 minutes on my 3000 mAH pack. Pack voltage was about 8.72 volts coming off the charger. If they're near full charge and you put it on the fast charger it doesn't go through the full flash sequence, just flashes about once a second for a few minutes and then goes full solid green indicating it's topped off. So working good!

If I remember right, when nimh cells are at capacity, there's a dip in the voltage, which triggers the charger to stop/switch to trickle mode (depending on the charger), regardless of cell count. With NiCAD, the dip in voltage is bigger, which is why for years, you had to have a switch on the charger to switch between NiCAD and NiMH. If you charged a NiMH cell with a NiCAD setting, it would overcharge it because the dip in voltage was too small for it to stop. Then I guess they made chargers smarter and to look for both dips or something, the last couple of chargers I had were compatible with NiMH or NiCAD and there wasn't a switch. I only ran NiMH so I don't know if they worked ok with NiCAD or not.

The "ID" for the traxxas batteries is for the lipo's. The wings on the edge of the plug will have the balance leads in them if you have a lipo vs having a separate balance plug. The charger uses those connections to determine the voltage of each cell as it's charging, so it doesn't over charge and so it can charge each cell fully.

I'm not 100% sure why they are putting the same plug on their NiMH packs. Other than eventual uniformity so they don't have to keep making the older high current TRX plug would be the only reason. I mean, it is a little wider, so may help with grip. Both of my trucks have the ID plug on the esc, but my packs have the older TRX plug on it and a normal balance plug, which is still compatible and works just fine with the ID on the esc.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 02-20-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    My NiMh plugs from Traxxas are definitely different than my Lipo plugs, Lipos have the balance leads as mentioned, the NiMh plugs don't. Everything seems to be working well now.

Thanks for your inputs.