RC poster

Slow E-revo ????

Hi guys,

I have a stock E-REVO and (twin 550 and stock ESC).
    I noticed that the speed is quite slow. I decided to monitor the top speed with different phone apps and all give me an average speed of only 18mph with LIPO Batteries and 16 with NiMH! My summit does 21.1 mph with the same LIPOS.

I am suspecting that it may be one of the motors but I am not sure how to test it with a Voltmeter. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

RC Champion
    Take both motor out and hand spin them. Do they feel the same?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Verify what profile the ESC on the E-Revo is set to. If in training mode, you're only getting 50% power in forward and reverse. If that's good, try re-calibrating the ESC to the radio to ensure it's getting full input for throttle. Lift truck so all wheels are off ground and see if all wheels spinning when using throttle. Without power and wheels off, check for any binding, spin one wheel to see if other wheel spins in opposite direction, spin both front wheels same direction, repeat for back wheels. That helps identify if problem at one wheel, front/rear diff, center spool, transmission, shafts/axles. Make sure none of the axle pins came out when you were putting/taking wheels on/off, such as can happen of hex came off. For checking voltage, will need help (extra hands), have voltmeter leads on positive/negative of motor and run, repeat with other motor. What about gearing or mesh? Summit does have bigger tires so could be faster if everything else is the same, or as you mentioned, its motors are newer and brushes on E-Revo motors are worn out. Can always swap motors between two trucks to verify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzcar View Post
    Verify what profile the ESC on the E-Revo is set to. If in training mode, you're only getting 50% power in forward and reverse. If that's good, try re-calibrating the ESC to the radio to ensure it's getting full input for throttle. Lift truck so all wheels are off ground and see if all wheels spinning when using throttle. Without power and wheels off, check for any binding, spin one wheel to see if other wheel spins in opposite direction, spin both front wheels same direction, repeat for back wheels. That helps identify if problem at one wheel, front/rear diff, center spool, transmission, shafts/axles. Make sure none of the axle pins came out when you were putting/taking wheels on/off, such as can happen of hex came off. For checking voltage, will need help (extra hands), have voltmeter leads on positive/negative of motor and run, repeat with other motor. What about gearing or mesh? Summit does have bigger tires so could be faster if everything else is the same, or as you mentioned, its motors are newer and brushes on E-Revo motors are worn out. Can always swap motors between two trucks to verify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks all for your responses. I checked the motors and one was dead. Replaced both motors with new ones. When testing the e-revo, I reached about 38.5 km/h or 24mph on 4S lipos. Far below the 30mph Traxxas claims. Maybe could be worn out wheel bearings or unlubricated differentials. Anyhow thanks to all of you for the help!

RC Enthusiast
    I think the wording in Traxxas literature is a bit ambiguous. The evx2 is 4s "total" capable, meaning 2s on each plug. What batteries are you running and how are they plugged in? That could explain the dead motor and reduced performance. Here is a vid of my brushed erevo on 7 cell nimh batteries doing a gentle top speed run (easing into it). That is with extra equipment bolted on too.

RC poster
    Hi, I have the same problem. Brand new E-Revo and very slow, after 2 battery runs both motors burned up. I ordered a brushless kit.

You can check the motors by disconnect them and connect them to a battery to see if they are working.