Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    RC Competitor
    Oh, also, these are the rear shocks.

I found some really tiny springs that I inserted inside the main spring around the shock shaft. I wanted to stiffen-up the rear suspension. It seems to work well, so far.

RC Competitor
    So while doing testing of my drag-slash rig, I've been flipping up on my lid quite often.

(OUCH!)

(My poor beater body)

In the vain of trying to save money, I have been looking at ways to fabricate my own wheelie bar from stuff I have around the house. I've had this old pan car sitting in my garage collecting dust (& cob webs). It has a carbon fiber chassis, so I thought I could cut it up & turn it into my Slash' wheelie bar.

(pre-historic pan car)

Sorry to have to do this to you oh noble pan car, BUT....

Thank you for your service!

(home-made wheelie bar - patent pending)

RC Competitor
    First run video with new wheelie bar (raw).

Quote Originally Posted by LowcntryBashers View Post
    So our 'Street Eliminator' group met for the first time the other day to see how everybody's dragster build is coming along so far. I was excited to both see what others are doing & show what I had so far. I was quickly informed that I had "illegal" suspension in the front.

WHAAAAAT!?

Here's what they say is illegal (according to our local class rules)....

Apparently, we have to have shocks on all four corners.

Well..... me being the smart a** that I am, I came back the next day sporting these on the front.

After I pointed out what I did, they started throwing around names like "cheater".

Man, It's a good thing I'm not sensitive or my feeling might have been hurt.

If I hadn't pointed it out to them, nobody would have noticed that they weren't actually shocks.

I DID eventually built some shocks for the front. It took a lot of work to get them the way I wanted, but here they are....

stay tuned....
    I'm a little slow....but....LOL!
    MTFBWY

RC poster
    I done converted both my lcg slashes that been sitting on the shelf for years into no prep drag cars. Been having a blast with it. Got several guys in our group getting into it. Awesome stuff, will share some pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster

RC poster
    Pics from our spot..

Still taken from a launch video

RC poster
    Got boost?

Lol

RC poster
    Redneck dyno...

Lol.. some of these pics are from guys in my group

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NoContact View Post
    Redneck dyno...

Lol.. some of these pics are from guys in my group

Shaking my head (while laughing hysterically)

RC Competitor
    My (current) race rig....

RC Competitor

Shelf Queen Body

My "Shelf Queen" body....
    Last edited by LowcntryBashers; 01-01-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: picture didn't come through

RC Competitor
    Our group pics...

RC Competitor
    So, we've been meeting for the past few weekends to do some inter-club racing. I'm still trying to get used to this drag-racing stuff. The wheelie-bar is one of the best additions to my build. I'm so glad that it turned out the way it did.

Now, my only thing is getting a good launch (consistantly). I think that I've been on the throttle a little too heavy. It takes me a while to settle the car before I can give it full throttle for my run. By the time the car settles, I'm almost half way down the track.

I had the idea to install a sway bar on the rear suspension. It works fine for circuit racing where you have lots of turns. So, this is what I came up with to correct my launch issues....

My home-made sway bar

I used a hanger that is made of some pretty thick-gauged wire.

Sacrificial hanger (Thanks for your service).

This actually works quite well. It isn't mechanically perfect, but it DEFINITELY does the trick. It also serves to stiffen-up my rear suspesion as well.

Now I can gear it up a bit. I still have more motor to give. I just wanted to make sure that I had everything situated with all the mechanics, first.

(Video to follow)

RC Qualifier
    I love seeing the HCG converted to a drag car.
    Also. I really dig the GM G-Body shelf queen body

RC Competitor
    Just finished up my build.

RC poster
    I canít wait to hit the track and see what itíll do...

Quote Originally Posted by jason02ws6 View Post
    Just finished up my build.

Hate to have to say it's, but that thing is tooooooo sweeeeet-looking to even consider racing.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Hate to have to say it's, but that thing is tooooooo sweeeeet-looking to even consider racing.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Appreciate that. Iím definitely concerned for the first flip and big hit it will take. Iím going to paint up another one exactly like this to keep as a shelf queen once I do screw this one up.

RC Racer
    I didn't realize drag racing was this big in the RC world. Wow!

RC Competitor

Root Beer-colored Slash.

@jason02ws6
    Oh! Love that color!
    Last edited by LowcntryBashers; 01-21-2020 at 06:30 PM. Reason: forgot to include reference

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTigger View Post
    I didn't realize drag racing was this big in the RC world. Wow!
    I know what you mean.

It is getting REALLY big here in the southeast.
    We've always had a drag-racing group, but the Street Eliminator class has just exploded down here, lately.

RC Competitor
    @jason02ws6
    Oh! Love that color!
    Thanks! I was a little hesitant during the process because it initially wasnít looking like what I expected but Iím happy with the end result.

RC Competitor

This is in direct sunlight. Tons more of the red comes out.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I love seeing the HCG converted to a drag car.
    Also. I really dig the GM G-Body shelf queen body
    I'd like to tell you that I'm trying to STAY TRUE to the original design of the Slash. But, alas, I'm just too cheap to splurge on specialized components. Some of the guys in our group have $250 carbon fiber chassis (not including cost of transmission & suspension). Besides, I'm actually a legitimate contender with my HCG chassis build. I can't wait 'til we bring the timing tree out so I can share some actual metrics with you guys.

Thank you for the compliment on my G-body shelf-queen. I'm tempted to do at least one run with it while cameras record so I can get footage of it running. We'll see.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jason02ws6 View Post

This is in direct sunlight. Tons more of the red comes out.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I did 2 different photo-shoots of my Monte Carlo body because I didn't like the color in direct sunlight. I felt it looked better in the shade.

RC Competitor
    My OTHER Shelf-Queen

RC Competitor
    I'd like to tell you that I'm trying to STAY TRUE to the original design of the Slash. But, alas, I'm just too cheap to splurge on specialized components. Some of the guys in our group have $250 carbon fiber chassis (not including cost of transmission & suspension). Besides, I'm actually a legitimate contender with my HCG chassis build. I can't wait 'til we bring the timing tree out so I can share some actual metrics with you guys.

Thank you for the compliment on my G-body shelf-queen. I'm tempted to do at least one run with it while cameras record so I can get footage of it running. We'll see.
    We included in our rules here in my area that you must run a factory LCG chassis, no custom stretched chassis or aftermarket for the Street Eliminator class. I think thatís why itís getting so popular, the price point is more realistic then all out custom builds.

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=jason02ws6;6521743]We included in our rules here in my area that you must run a factory LCG chassis, no custom stretched chassis or aftermarket for the Street Eliminator class. I think that’s why it’s getting so popular, the price point is more realistic then all out custom builds.

There's got to be a HUGE disparity between the cost of our group's street eliminators. I SOOOO can't wait 'til we get some actual metrics on the run times/speeds of some of these rigs. I bet there is NOT a huge difference in mine (one of the cheapest) & the most expensive.

Oh the anticipation!

RC Competitor
    So we FINALLY got the tree setup today!!
    Below is a pic of one of my best runs of the day....

RC Racer
    Nice! Congrats!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTigger View Post
    Nice! Congrats!
    Hey, thanks!

This has been a fun adventure, so far.

RC Competitor
    Is is just me, or does the body for the new DR10 look a LOT like the car on those Limu Emu commercials?

Just wonderin'.

RC Qualifier
    Is is just me, or does the body for the new DR10 look a LOT like the car on those Limu Emu commercials?

Just wonderin'.
    You know,it kinda does

RC Competitor
    The down side of this drag-race schtuff....

You get VERY short life on your tires.

RC Competitor
    The down side of this drag-race schtuff....

You get VERY short life on your tires.
    **** I was about to change mine after like 10 passes. You wore youíre to the foams. Lol

RC Competitor
    I have some 17mm hub adapters that I was using in order to run the tons of 1/8 scale buggy tires I have. The guy in charge or our rules decided that only sct wheels are allowed for the rear.

So, I have to run the few SCT tires I have left to (complete) failure. I've started re-mounting old tires that aren't any good for dirt racing & using them for this street eliminator schtuff. I might just use the buggy tires for practice/testing & save my SCT tires for actual competition.

Are there any tire sponsors out there? (please!)

RC Competitor
    So, I just found out today that our drag-race spot isn't allowing us to race there anymore. We previously had permission from the company that leases the warehouse space, but now the owner of the property doesn't want us to play there anymore. Just when I was starting to have fun with my Slash again. Too bad.

So, I just found out today that our drag-race spot isn't allowing us to race there anymore. We previously had permission from the company that leases the warehouse space, but now the owner of the property doesn't want us to play there anymore. Just when I was starting to have fun with my Slash again. Too bad.
    Just a suggestion...have you considered a local DMV location. Not sure what states you're in, but I do know that most DMV locations tend to be closed on weekends...or, at least, Sundays...especially locations that do commercial stopping tests. The skills testing area for commercial vehicles tends to be quite large. If you have a local DMV that does on-site commercial licence skills testing, and they're closed on weekends (or Sundays), your group might consider taking to the manager, and seeing about getting permission. Again, just a suggestion.

~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567