RC Competitor

X-Maxx Differential Housing, Or Any Other Parts That Are Better When Upgraded

I read a while back that a hard hit on the front can be transferred to the diff housing and make it crack. Is it a good idea to purchase the Hot Racing housing, or any other brand? And, since were are at it, can you think of any other parts that SHOULD be upgraded with either Traxxas X parts or aftermarket parts? I'm not after bling... I want a stout basher. When I grow up, I want to be like Kevin Talbot.
    Sent from one of my transmitters.

RC poster
    Sorry Can't Help You. Lol, I wanna be Kevin too.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Shock shafts and rear bearing carriers (Replace with rpm) were the only weak points on the truck for me. I've broken a few lower a arms, but after many many really bad landings.

I hit a light pole airborne at about 40 mph and broke the front chassis, but the diff housing stayed intact.

2 yrs of hammering it and everything else holds up just fine. This is the most durable rc I've ever seen.
    Last edited by rag6; 06-20-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Drive stock till it snaps. Then upgrade the part that broke.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    Drive stock till it snaps. Then upgrade the part that broke.
    That is excellent advice! I did already order the RPM rear bearing carriers and I'm looking at potential shock upgrades. Other than that, I'll probably hold off for a while.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
    That is excellent advice! I did already order the RPM rear bearing carriers and I'm looking at potential shock upgrades. Other than that, I'll probably hold off for a while.
    The piggy backs won’t pay off. New shafts will. I put some aluminum perches and preload rings on mine, but that’s just to look good. Many of my “upgrades” are there because I built mine from scratch, so they’re just truck parts for me. The truck is a bit sloppy in suspension and steering, so that had a lot to do with my choices.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    The piggy backs won’t pay off. New shafts will. I put some aluminum perches and preload rings on mine, but that’s just to look good. Many of my “upgrades” are there because I built mine from scratch, so they’re just truck parts for me. The truck is a bit sloppy in suspension and steering, so that had a lot to do with my choices.

I think that the Proline piggybacks look nice and may offer a little better shock control, but their price of $190 for a full set of 4 is just insane! If I were so inclined, I could buy complete 1/5 scale shocks from a Rovan for half that.

RC Competitor

Stock Diff Gears With Castle 2028 Motor?

How do the stock diff gears handle the extra power of a 2028 Castle motor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How do the stock diff gears handle the extra power of a 2028 Castle motor?
    I run a 5898 1100kv and the diffs have held up great.

RC Competitor
    I run a 5898 1100kv and the diffs have held up great.

Perfect! Thanks! I'll just run it till I break something, then, depending on what breaks, I'll decide if I want to upgrade it or keep it stock as a "fuse".

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I forgot something... Steering links. I've broken 2 in bad landings. I won't upgrade. They are so cheap and easy to replace, I just keep 1 in my tool bag. It literally takes 2 to 3 min to replace them. I like this weak point and my stock servo does too...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Shock shafts and rear bearing carriers (Replace with rpm) were the only weak points on the truck for me. I've broken a few lower a arms, but after many many really bad landings.

I hit a light pole airborne at about 40 mph and broke the front chassis, but the diff housing stayed intact.

2 yrs of hammering it and everything else holds up just fine. This is the most durable rc I've ever seen.
    Agreed, do WD-40 trick to my a-arms and have not broken one yet, but trying lol.

Oh yeah, video to the airborne light pole crash?

That is excellent advice! I did already order the RPM rear bearing carriers....
    Good, stock bearings won't last long, RPM rears is the way to go right off the bat.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I forgot something... Steering links. I've broken 2 in bad landings. I won't upgrade. They are so cheap and easy to replace, I just keep 1 in my tool bag. It literally takes 2 to 3 min to replace them. I like this weak point and my stock servo does too...
    Yes, I do the same, got spares in my box, cheap, easy to replace and something has to give sometimes!