RC Competitor

Excessive slop in steering rack?

I noticed I could literally wiggle the front wheels a good 3/4in-1inch side to side when my xmaxx is turned off with the front wheels off the ground. The problem appears to be that there's a gap between the top of the servo saver and the steering brace that holds it down. My saver rises up off the steering post it's attached to on the chassis almost a 1/2'inch, and tilts slightly forward even with the cover snug down all the way. Anyone else have this going on?
    He who dies with the most toys, wins.

RC Qualifier
    We need pics or video
    sounds strange
    no play should be there
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Traxxas part number 7746. You have a worn servo saver. Very noticable difference.

RC Competitor
    Oh come on you must notice. Not to mention it cant make the tight turns with stock setup as it should or would like it to.. Lets start with the spongiest servo horn on the market. Out, then the plastic rod, out then lock the servo saver down with a longer screw and locking washer on the bottom. piece of same gauge soldier in a ring at the bottom of the spring. Plastic steering rods, out. plastic center brace, out. and finish with the plastic servo horn gear you will be stripping from time to time.

Now it turns much better is more responsive but that slop is still there. It is the plastic ball crank especially the left side which allows way to much side to side free movement. Hold one wheel and move the other and you can see the crank flex several milimeters. My next will be the aluminum ball crank which should do. since you have replaced it all but the servo.

ps any one find a different servo make steel horn gear in a set which fits the 2085. with all of the above done the servo actually performs well but the horn gear will strip from time to time.