RC Racer

1600kv motor smoked

Hooked up my new VXL8 and after a two minute 6S run the ESC looked like a xmass tree. Traxxas is replacing the esc. I removed it and put back in the MAX6, poof it went, then I put in the VXL6 which I never sent back and poof it went. It's not covered but hopefully they will take it as a return for the VXL8. Traxxas 1600kv motor is not as reliable as I once thought when it's paired with the MAX6 it ran fine on 8S for months. This motor fried 3 ESC'S before I figured out the issue. I changed bearings, shafts, gears, anything that would bind. Rolling it around it felt fine. Changed recievers, transmitter and even the servo... took the motor out and it felt like a crunch bar . Took it apart and found magnets that were very upset and the Kevlar wrapped around them had torn apart. I don't want to blame the VXL8 but that's when I started having issues which is when I ruined 900$ worth of ESC'S.

MAX6 look like this...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    de oppresso liber

RC Racer
    Wow, that is not good. I would think that the 1600 being able to crank out the extra rpms makes it susceptible to this. Good thing to post up as we may start to see more motor failures with the power up kit. Sorry for your bad luck.

I would say routine inspections of the motor are in order. Quick tear down could save you some pain.
    Last edited by Jaymullen; 03-06-2017 at 07:25 PM.

RC poster
    I'm scared to run my vxl8. I did today, awaiting my max6 to be delivered, and dying to try the 8s power up. But I guess if anything happens I'm still warranted, since all my equipment is traxxas still. But I hate to do it even if they do go good for replacements.

RC Racer
    That motor looks pretty disgusting. Aside from the dirt, it looks like heat killed it.

RC Racer
    These type of threads are a double edge sword. Very informative and provide valuable insight what to watch out for. On the other side it spreads a unfounded fear that the vxl8s is somehow responsible. The OP was running the max 6 for some time on this motor before the switch. It could be said the max6 is responsible for the damage to the motor and continued to operate a failing motor with no detection. The vxl8 noticed the issue straight away. I myself doubt the vxl8 did that damage to the motor in two 6s runs. Anything is possible with electronics and my point is not what caused this situation.

My point is a vxl esc fails it is front page news and somehow the max esc is portrayed as perfection. There is nowhere near the number of units to get fair idea of reliability, not to mention, a consolidation of users of the max like this board when compared to the vxl esc. Heck, I ran my vxl6s long and hard for a year with never a hick up.

Long story short is don't have fear running the vxl8 you would be in a very small minority if you have a problem. I have two and they perform as intended. We forget that high voltage, high performance applications come with inherent risks and to think you will never have an issue is just short sighted in my opinion.

RC Qualifier
    4.2 x 8 = 33.6V. (Even if you consider 1S = 3.7V; 3.7 x 8 = 29.6V.)
    1600 x 33.6 = 53760 rpm !! (1600 x 29.6 = 47360 rpm).

Whichever, on 8S with the 1600, that's a lot of revs.

Al.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymullen View Post
    These type of threads are a double edge sword. Very informative and provide valuable insight what to watch out for. On the other side it spreads a unfounded fear that the vxl8s is somehow responsible. The OP was running the max 6 for some time on this motor before the switch. It could be said the max6 is responsible for the damage to the motor and continued to operate a failing motor with no detection. The vxl8 noticed the issue straight away. I myself doubt the vxl8 did that damage to the motor in two 6s runs. Anything is possible with electronics and my point is not what caused this situation.

My point is a vxl esc fails it is front page news and somehow the max esc is portrayed as perfection. There is nowhere near the number of units to get fair idea of reliability, not to mention, a consolidation of users of the max like this board when compared to the vxl esc. Heck, I ran my vxl6s long and hard for a year with never a hick up.

Long story short is don't have fear running the vxl8 you would be in a very small minority if you have a problem. I have two and they perform as intended. We forget that high voltage, high performance applications come with inherent risks and to think you will never have an issue is just short sighted in my opinion.
    It's def not the ESC that caused it. The motor had physical failure (appears armature lamination was destroyed, along with with melted plastic from friction/heat.) Also appears to be large amounts of dirt in motor, which may be the root cause.

RC Competitor
    This thread is the equivalent of Forum Fake News. The OP fails to mention the he's been using the stock motor to repeatedly try to break the 100mph barrier (with a 20lbs monster truck designed for off-road bashing). So yeah, that 1600kv motor is totally unreliable. Lol.....
    He who dies with the most toys, wins.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 0dark3rt View Post
    This thread is the equivalent of Forum Fake News. The OP fails to mention the he's been using the stock motor to repeatedly try to break the 100mph barrier (with a 20lbs monster truck designed for off-road bashing). So yeah, that 1600kv motor is totally unreliable. Lol.....
    Good catch! Gotta get up earrrrly in the morning to outsmart 0dark30 lol!!

So wonder what this threads intended purpose is?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yea I noticed that. It's always 2 sides to the story lol good catch.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Racer
    Good catch. The pics showed abuse as-is, but I didn't realize it was that guy lol. 100% cooked the motor due to abuse.

RC Qualifier
    He obviously didn't watch temperatures and just melted it, not the motors fault.

My motors still like new after a year and loads of batteries.
    I'm from rip off Britain

RC Racer
    My 1040 will reach 100mph easy. The rest of the truck? I doubt it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by suburbazine View Post
    My 1040 will reach 100mph easy. The rest of the truck? I doubt it.
    Well put

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Well put

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    74mph is all she wrote before aerodynamics turn my truck into an airplane. I've reached ~91mph on the traxxas GPS but the truck was upside down and 7' off the surface of the parking lot at the time.
    Last edited by suburbazine; 03-08-2017 at 01:04 AM.

RC Competitor
    Glad someone called out the OP. Pretty dishonest thread he started.

IMO it's foolish to chase 100 mph with an x maxx. Buy a different RC if that's your goal. OP abused this motor and toasted it. If anything it's a testament to its durability, considering it made it that long with that abuse.