RC Qualifier

Considering a mini Slash, need some wisdom.

Hi,
    Our local track has a mini on road/off road course and I have been using versions of the Losi 1/14 desert truck on it for a while with success. I am very drawn to the mini Slash and I am on the verge of getting a new roller.
    The course is a mild short course carpet track.

My questions are for mini Slash gurus:
    Are there any parts you would consider a mandatory upgrade?
    Any issue with leaky shocks?
    Can anyone compare/contrast the slash to the Losi desert truck?
    Anything I should beware of before buying?
    Thanks
    Ken
    trinity 6cell packs - 5 cells for the price of 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenmtb View Post
    Hi,
    Our local track has a mini on road/off road course and I have been using versions of the Losi 1/14 desert truck on it for a while with success. I am very drawn to the mini Slash and I am on the verge of getting a new roller.
    The course is a mild short course carpet track.

My questions are for mini Slash gurus:
    Are there any parts you would consider a mandatory upgrade?
    Any issue with leaky shocks?
    Can anyone compare/contrast the slash to the Losi desert truck?
    Anything I should beware of before buying?
    Thanks
    Ken
    Hi, I have a couple of mini Slash trucks and I like them a lot. I primarily run them on our driveway out front...sorry no track experience here...my son and i set up little jumps and obstacles and they do pretty well. The stock brushed motor can make the truck a bit high centered, some move to the smaller brushless motor to get away from that a bit, but we don't have too much trouble with it.

The tires are pretty stiff, so you'll have to see how well they hook up on carpet for you. The stock nimh battery is not great...we run the Traxxas 2200mah 2s lipos in ours and they wake right up. Some run two batteries in parallel, others don't because of weight.

The springs are really, really soft...depending on how things feel on your track, you may be ok with more preload or you may need to get some stiffer springs. We haven't had any trouble with leaky shocks yet.

All in all, we really like them for what we use them for. I wouldn't expect them to go off road in tall grass and such; we have some 1/10 stampedes for that. These are our fooling around on decently flat terrain with not much space trucks.

RC Champion
    Well put, I use my Mini Slash in the yard, street, driveway and sometimes out at the lake etc., tons of fun! I upgraded to Traxxas brushless after only couple weeks and it handles better due to lower weight. Going to get some tan springs for the rear (same as fronts) because the rear is a bit under sprung. I run the heck out of it and haven't broken anything yet.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi all

Recently new owner of a 1/16 Slash. Jumped in head first in terms of modding.

After a hard month of gravel and dirt parking lots, backyard to driveway laps I upgraded the following.

+ Traxxas Power-up VXL-3m & 380 brushless motor
    + TRX aluminum push and toe rods
    + steel hollow balls
    + HR shock bodies w/ TiN shafts
    + 60 weight shock oil
    + HR axle carriers
    + Hobbypark 2.99” tires

Most of the upgrades were to increase the handling across the types of surfaces I drive on. Again, long fast runs and minimal jumps. This set up works really well for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jindap View Post
    Hi all

Recently new owner of a 1/16 Slash. Jumped in head first in terms of modding.

After a hard month of gravel and dirt parking lots, backyard to driveway laps I upgraded the following.

+ Traxxas Power-up VXL-3m & 380 brushless motor
    + TRX aluminum push and toe rods
    + steel hollow balls
    + HR shock bodies w/ TiN shafts
    + 60 weight shock oil
    + HR axle carriers
    + Hobbypark 2.99” tires

Most of the upgrades were to increase the handling across the types of surfaces I drive on. Again, long fast runs and minimal jumps. This set up works really well for me!

sorry, I failed to mention what I liked and disliked about the mini slash.

aside from a tendency to flip running it purely all stock, I love the car. plenty of hop-up options if you want to go that route and for the most part, theres an abundance of available OEM parts available all over the web too. I have noticed there is a slight preference to the MERV in terms of part availability but I chose personally chose the Slash over the MERV for it's "to scale" look, completely aesthetic choice there.

I can't say that one is better than the other since I've only own the Slash. the 1/16 scale does have it's downsides, mainly an inability to cleanly navigate most terrain. I think something closer to the 1/10 scale would be a better "all-round" basher as it will more easily clear bumps, ruts and such. lastly, the ability to throw your kit into a backpack and take the mini slash anywhere is a huge benefit too.

good luck!

RC Enthusiast
    Been looking through a ton of threads here but finally decided to register after seeing some posts that are actually quite up to date and relevant for me - like this one here...

I picked up a used 1/16 slash a few weeks ago and had a lot of fun bashing about in dirt. After a while I could see myself getting bored though and wanted to race it around a track. Set some goals or have some kind of challenge like improving lap times or racing others. Finally visited a local carpet track and am now getting the truck dialed in to see what it and I can do.

Haven't got many pictures of what's going on but I have included a video. So far it's all stock 4x4 VXL except for:
    1/10 Touring car wheels
    Motor heatsink and fan (Got hot running outdoors on dirt but it appears unnecessary for the track)
    30w engine oil filled dampers
    ACE Hardware #93 springs - Will be testing these out this Friday at the track
    Also have some Aluminium alloy hubs coming to replace the rears. Simply because they are too worn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb9vesesY2w

RC Enthusiast
    additionally, something else to consider is the Mini Slash doesn't have the plethora of wheel & tire replacements that the MERV does being that the to-scale wheel design is a big part of the short course truck design.

after a couple hard months of driving on dirt and asphalt, my tires wore down quickly and finding wheels/tires to upgrade to was tough at least in respect to finding anything with similar OEM dimensions. that said, if you're ok with trimming back the body, then that does open up some options but not many. the few that I found were cheaper Amazon wheels, nothing from any name brand RC makers. However they’re so affordable that it’s a good option. The rubber quality is much softer than the stock rubber which I like a lot.

Hobbypark 76mm wheel & tires - https://www.amazon.com/4-Pack-HobbyP.../dp/B071ZX9JB7

Rowiz 4 x Off-Road Wheels - https://www.amazon.com/Rowiz-Off-Roa.../dp/B01HCWDL68