RC Enthusiast

Alias in the Snow (Wet Damp Moist and Cold)

Took my alias outside for a cruise, in the dark of winter. Had a few good runs smashed into a building a couple times and it fell about 20 feet onto some pallets. Very Durable because I retreived it easilly with all the blinking lights.
    Anyways, got stuck in a tree right after about 50ft up. Hit the gas a few times and got the props to turn and dropped it down a little easier to grab. No biggie climb the tree about 30ft and chucked it down into the snow. It was probably already wet from crashing onto the snowy pallets.
    Anyways, once I got out of the tree and grabbed the drone to Arm it and keep flying, it would briefly arm, I would hit the gas then it would stop like the motor/props were stuck. Anyways did this a few times and then nothing. THEN ALL THE SUDDEN one of the props just starts spinning full tilt without and controls. I tried arming and shut off my controller. STILL RIPPING AWAY!!!! So I disconnect the battery on the machine and thankfully it stopped. (Would have been alarmed if it didnt)
    Anyways, after that I brought it inside to dry out. Obviously the snow turned to water and shorted somthing. The GOOD NEWS is that after it dried it fired right up and was good to go. No permanent damage.

Summary: Dont get the unit wet it does not like it. I am dissapointed to be waiting until summer before I can fly outdoors again, but glad there was permanent damage because the flight controllers are not avaliable to replace.
    Thanks for reading. PS: This was my 2nd ever flight. Lost my first drone first flight. And this was my first flight with this one. Needless to say im not easy on stuff and like to take it to the MAX before I even know whats good for me.
    Edit Ramble: The drones durability is super impressive and I had so much fun losing the first one I had to get another. Worth it, but would like to see some water resistance.
    PEACE AND CHOW

RC Qualifier
    I fly my Alias all the time in the snow , just need to bring it in to dry when it's set down in the snow ... no biggie
    My Aton seems to be less affected by weather tho

northern Vermont

Conformal Coating, brush it onto the flight controller and let it dry.
    Or just give a looksee on the interwebs for waterproofing electronics, there is a bunch of brush/spray on coatings available.

If you do burn up the flight board, give Traxxas a call, replacements are like $25 if I remember right.

I love my Alias's, got like 16 batteries for them to keep them flyin, gone through 4 sets of motors, 3 of those sets from just flying the snot out of them, burned up one getting it out of a tree.

Once you get hooked on flying, it gets in your blood.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    good idea ... thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    good idea ... thanks !
    I got the idea from StingerSwarm of RotorRoit on YouTube, he was building a 5in quad and was using different types of water proofing on the Flight control and the ESC's.

Looked like a good idea to me!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    If Hemidoo always lands his is the snow and has been letting it dry off without trouble, I might just keep doing that. I just didnt want to fry anything.
    I called Traxxas once for replacement parts and I probably never will again. Its more difficult being from Canada and there are usually many aftermarket options anyways. Obviously not for flight borads yet however.

Thanks for the Conformal Coating suggestion aswell, I will be sure to do that if I ever need to replace the Flight Board due to water damage.
    Thanks again for reading all that,
    Peace

eBay is another place to get new pulls if you need a flight board.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    No flight boards on ebay.ca
    That's usually the first place I check.