RC Competitor

Traxxas Link and Android 7 Issues

Since my phone updated from android v6 to v7 a couple of months back, the traxxas link app will not allow the app to connect to the transmitter. It will act as if it has connected then instantly disconnect.

I can see from the play store that others are having the same issue and i have emailed Traxxas but I've had to chase to get a response. Even then the response is very vague and unhelpful.

I've spent a lot of money with traxxas and find it very annoying that they don't seem to be that interested in helping. I've offered to provide more detailed feedback and they didn't seem interested in that either.

Is anyone else experiencing this and do traxxas actually look at these forums, not sure what else I can try to get a resolution!

Quote Originally Posted by garethalanjames View Post
    Since my phone updated from android v6 to v7 a couple of months back, the traxxas link app will not allow the app to connect to the transmitter. It will act as if it has connected then instantly disconnect.

I can see from the play store that others are having the same issue and i have emailed Traxxas but I've had to chase to get a response. Even then the response is very vague and unhelpful.

I've spent a lot of money with traxxas and find it very annoying that they don't seem to be that interested in helping. I've offered to provide more detailed feedback and they didn't seem interested in that either.

Is anyone else experiencing this and do traxxas actually look at these forums, not sure what else I can try to get a resolution!
    Android 7.0 and higher require "Location" to be enabled on your phone
    in order to connect to the link app.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    Android 7.0 and higher require "Location" to be enabled on your phone
    in order to connect to the link app.
    I have location enabled already, any other suggestions?

RC poster
    I´m facing the same issue. I have a Zenfone3 and Android 7. Already tried turning the location ON and didnt work. Running the app in my tablet andoid 6 it works. It´s really something with android 7 and/or bluetooth 4.0. Hope to see a solution soon from Traxxas

Quote Originally Posted by raddius View Post
    I´m facing the same issue. I have a Zenfone3 and Android 7. Already tried turning the location ON and didnt work. Running the app in my tablet andoid 6 it works. It´s really something with android 7 and/or bluetooth 4.0. Hope to see a solution soon from Traxxas
    I have a Nexus Android 7.1.2 and Bluetooth 4 that's ten months old
    and never had a problem, Traxxas can't fix your phone so you'll have
    to try to figure out what's wrong with it. Maybe someone with experience
    could look at your settings.

RC Competitor
    I have a Nexus Android 7.1.2 and Bluetooth 4 that's ten months old
    and never had a problem, Traxxas can't fix your phone so you'll have
    to try to figure out what's wrong with it. Maybe someone with experience
    could look at your settings.
    As I mentioned previously, location is enabled, I have checked within app permissions and have also tried reinstalling the app and granting permissions again.
    My work phone is identical but runs android v6 and works.

If you're Nexus works fine, then perhaps it could be down to what LG add to the android OS which is causing the issue. Having said that, there are a number of other users with different devices experiencing the same issue.

What I object to most is that traxxas have absolutely no desire to help, even when I offered to help troubleshoot and ask about progress, the email reply i get is pretty blunt and unhelpful from traxxas. As we all know, this stuff is not cheap so it's particularly annoying when the manufacturer decides to stick their head in the sand.

As I mentioned previously, location is enabled
    On your phone:
    Try this; Open location, in upper right corner click on the three little dots,
    a small window opens, click scanning, make sure wi-fi and bluetooth are
    both turned on.

btw, what phone and model do you have?

RC Competitor
    On your phone:
    Try this; Open location, in upper right corner click on the three little dots,
    a small window opens, click scanning, make sure wi-fi and bluetooth are
    both turned on.

btw, what phone and model do you have?
    I've already tried that without success I'm afraid.

The phone is an LG G5 which is a flagship model, maybe i could understand if this issue was on a more obscure android device.

The traxxas link worked fine before the firmware was upgraded to android v7.

Btw my work phone is an LG G5se and works without any issue on android v6.

Check and see if your phone can find your transmitter.
    First of all, turn bluetooth off. Now turn on your transmitter, on your
    phone, click on settings, then bluetooth, at the top of the page click
    on bluetooth. It should show something like this; Available Device TQi BLE d

RC Competitor
    I tried that too! The phone can see the transmitter from the Bluetooth menu, i even tried to pair using a variety of codes but the pairing screen disappears soon after i attempt to put a code in.

RC Racer

Yes. I cannot connect using Android 7 on my Nvidia Shield tablet. I can get the app to turn on the blue light on the Traxxas Link on my controller but can't get the app to make any changes to settings or show anything on the dashboard dials. I did not have this problem on Android 4.0 on my old LG phone.

RC Racer
    I tried that too! The phone can see the transmitter from the Bluetooth menu, i even tried to pair using a variety of codes but the pairing screen disappears soon after i attempt to put a code in.
    Exactly the same result here - Android 7 on Nvidia Shield tablet. Can someone from Traxxas at least acknowledge this problem?

I was seriously considering buying the new TRX 4 crawler, but if Traxxas can't fix what they already have, I will wait till HFO.
    Last edited by gfmucci; 07-03-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: growing disappointment with Traxxas

RC poster
    I am having the same problem.

I have a Google Pixel running Android 7.12

I cannot get the Link app to pair. I tried it also with my wife's Samsung tablet, but it's also too new for Traxxas.

In my family we have easily $5,000 worth of Traxxas hardware.

Very frustrating for the app to not work with newest Android software.

I understand that tech fluctuates quickly, but the real problem that we all seem to be voicing is a lack of concern from Traxxas.

RC Racer
    Call or email Traxxas support. Tell them you want your Bluetooth module flashed. They will email you a return authorization for the module. You mail it in (costs $2.50+/-). You will get it back in 7 to 10 days. The flashing of the module has worked for those with the most recent Android OS. It worked for my 7.0. It has worked for 6.xx. It did not work for my older 4.4.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    why they can't update the controller through bluetooth I will never understand.....

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    why they can't update the controller through bluetooth I will never understand.....
    They can update the transmitter through bluetooth and have several times. The problem
    happened when Android updated they're OS with an extra layer of security for bluetooth
    to close loop holes, that forced Traxxas to update their program which was not possible
    due to the inability to make a connection through your bluetooth. Don't blame Traxxas.

RC Racer
    They can update the transmitter through bluetooth and have several times. The problem
    happened when Android updated they're OS with an extra layer of security for bluetooth
    to close loop holes, that forced Traxxas to update their program which was not possible
    due to the inability to make a connection through your bluetooth. Don't blame Traxxas.
    The biggest problem with this latest, and maybe previous issues, is the lack of communication between Traxxas and their customer base. A simple explanation, like you have provided, would go a long way toward unruffling feathers. And a timely communication, at least to their forum users, at the time they first became aware of the issue, and before they got a bunch of impatient and upset customers like myself all bent out of shape, and giving updates of their progress, would have helped a LOT.

Part of "great customer service" is communication which Traxxas was sorely lacking in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
    The biggest problem with this latest, and maybe previous issues, is the lack of communication between Traxxas and their customer base. A simple explanation, like you have provided, would go a long way toward unruffling feathers. And a timely communication, at least to their forum users, at the time they first became aware of the issue, and before they got a bunch of impatient and upset customers like myself all bent out of shape, and giving updates of their progress, would have helped a LOT.

Part of "great customer service" is communication which Traxxas was sorely lacking in this instance.
    I agree with the lack of letting us know that they were aware of the problem and had a fix
    being worked on, I wouldn't have tried so many things on my end. However, it didn't stop
    me from running my trucks and the few times I needed to adjust something I went back
    to the "menu tree", the only thing missed was temp and voltage, not a big deal.

RC Racer
    I agree with the lack of letting us know that they were aware of the problem and had a fix
    being worked on, I wouldn't have tried so many things on my end. However, it didn't stop
    me from running my trucks and the few times I needed to adjust something I went back
    to the "menu tree", the only thing missed was temp and voltage, not a big deal.
    I agree Traxxas Link is a non-essential but nice-to-have "convenience" feature. And I wasn't as upset with its failure as some more devout and long standing Traxxas user fans like Jimbo74 with over 4,000 posts. I'm sure there were many, perhaps less vocal, Traxxas users who were similarly concerned, disappointed, or upset.

RC poster
    Same issues here in the Netherlands.

Contacted traxxas support and they gave me an email address of a traxxas importer.
    I emailed them and they wouldn't help me because I need to go to the store where I bought it.
    Contacted the store, they where busy and would call me back............

Still waiting for a call........

RC poster
    Hello,I have the traxxas trx-4 and traxxas link bluetooth on the remote. The app only works perfectly on my friend i,phone ,in my 3 android phones(v6.0 , v7.0 and 6.0.1 android) On android 7 it didnt connect, on the other two they connect but closes in drive effects screen i think its only a app problem in android ,so traxxas should find the solution as fast as possible i think...sorry for my bad English

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTomé View Post
    Hello,I have the traxxas trx-4 and traxxas link bluetooth on the remote. The app only works perfectly on my friend i,phone ,and my 3 android phones(v6.0 , v7.0 and 6.0.1 android) On android 7 it didnt connect
    With Android 7 and up, you must have "Location" enabled in order to connect. In addition, you may
    need to have your module re flashed by Traxxas as this has been an issue since a recent Android update.
    Last edited by Rich2; 08-11-2017 at 08:43 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    still waiting on my unit to be sent back, or some update, or anything at this point... it's been 2 weeks, in their possession

RC poster
    OK,Thanks for the reply.......I think traxxas must solve the problem without we have to send the module to them,after all its just software i think

RC poster
    With Android 7 and up, you must have "Location" enabled in order to connect. In addition, you may
    need to have your module re flashed by Traxxas as this has been an issue since a recent Android update.
    OK,thanks for the info.....

RC poster
    i received the flashed unit from Traxxas. So i was able to connect to my phone, but once i go to drive effects, the app quits.....
    this issue has not been resolved yet.

RC Competitor
    yes i am experiencing this problem with blutooth on my s8 is rediculious now i recently got the new 4tec and i feel the way you do i wish i could help you more good luck

RC Competitor
    i had the same problem so i sent my blu tooth back to traxxas and they re-flashed module for new samsung update it works fine now

RC Enthusiast
    I just bought this Bluetooth unit and using a Sony Xperia phone with Android v7.1.1, I was sceptical it would even work after hearing about this issue. A rep at Traxxas had forewarned me 3 weeks ago (I called with a TSM issue where it kept deactivating) and he said all units shipping as of now were the updated version but if I received an older version in Europe, I'd probably need to ship it to TX for a re-flash.

Interestingly, on the box of the part I received, it doesn't mention Android anywhere. Only iPhone and iPad. Same in the instructions. I don't know if that's always been the same?

Anyhoo, in case it helps anyone. I had the app installed already and it connected via bluetooth no problem after asking me to activate location. It then started an update but after finishing, my controller was just flashing red in bind mode but nothing else. No connection to my car?

I de-installed the app and started over. This time I made sure both the car and controller were on. Same procedure but this time it connected to the TSM receiver and started the update again after warning me to lift the wheels off the ground. It then updated the TSM receiver with the latest firmware and after finishing, was bound and ready. It was easy!

I don't know if I just got lucky and happened to get a new bluetooth unit and I don't want to jinx myself, but it seems to be working fine.

By the way, does anyone know - when you control TSM assistance via the Link App, do you still need to use the multifunction dial on the controller?

Thanks all

RC Enthusiast
    I'm glad to see Willies is working. I see your post was a couple months back. Is everything still functioning right with your link system? I want to get it but I want it to work. Has your app updated since you had it fixed?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemisis View Post
    I'm glad to see Willies is working. I see your post was a couple months back. Is everything still functioning right with your link system? I want to get it but I want it to work. Has your app updated since you had it fixed?
    Still works fine for me. The odd bkue tooth binding issue but nothing major. Just restarted the app etc. I now have a Xioami Mi 1A with Android 7.1.2 and it's working just fine as well.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk