RC Qualifier

Brushless Summit???

Hey guys I've not messed with my trucks in a while but have recently blown the dust off of them. Man I forgot how much fun they are. Haha

I have however decided to thin the fleet some and have sold all of my Nitro stuff, a brushed eMaxx and think I'm going to sell my MM eRevo. However, I think I'm going to keep my MM motor and ESC. In fact what I thought about doing was sticking one of my 775 from one of my Summit's in there, buying a EVX-2 and making it a brushed eRevo to sell. I have a couple motors laying around from when I did the DeWalt mod.

If I remember correctly I was told that a MM in a Summit is not a good marriage because of " glitching" at low speeds. Is the from the ESC side or the motor side or both?

My MM setup is the older version and is NOT waterproof. Are the newer version ESC's any different? Could I use the MM motor and stock EVX-2 ESC? Would they be compatible? Would there be any advantages having a brushless motor in a Summit?

Thanks in advance!
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

Brushless Summit???

Sensorless brushless motors tend to stutter from stop, especially when there is more than just the resistance of the vehicle's weight. Example: place the truck against a curb or other surmountable object and try to creep over or slowly. It is much easier to hop over it than to ease over it with a sensorless motor.
    The newer MM2 version is waterproof but still sensorless.
    You can use an MM or MM2 ESC with a brushed motor, but not an EVX-2 ESC with a brushless motor.
    Advantages of sensorless brushless: power and efficiency, addition of drag brake feature.
    Disadvantages: loss of fine control and broken drivetrain parts, cost.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-13-2017 at 04:42 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Thank you for the explanation. Looks like I'll keep the Summit like it is.

I was thinking if I couldn't use the MM in one of the Suumits then it maybe easier to sell a brushed eRevo.....maybe get the price down in a range were more people would be interested. Then if all else sell the MM separately. Don't know.....may all be the same after I buy a EVX-2??
    Last edited by BlackSheep800; 03-13-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

Brushless Summit???

The latest ESCs and firmware do their best to lessen the stuttering, but they are nowhere near the performance of a sensored brushless motor.
    However, for trailing or anything short of real crawling, a sensorless motor can be made to perform acceptably.
    Parting out usually garners more cash.

RC Competitor
    I run a Mamba monster 2 in my Summit no problem at low speeds. No problem with breaking parts (fingers crossed I don't). I have it limited to 80% power and 4s. I love it keeps up and then some to a stock Summit.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Brushless Summit???

I'm sure it does keep up.
    Have you run a sensored motor system in a Summit? There is a difference. Some may not need or appreciate the improvement, but it is certainly there.
    Interesting wiring.

RC Competitor
    I haven't ran a sensored system, simply because where I run I need water proof electrics. From my understanding there is no water proof 1/8 system...Or am I wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not that I know of, but I'm not sure of the relevance here. Why are you trying to make this an argument? Enjoy your truck, but please realize that what I wrote is still 100% valid.

RC Competitor
    I wasn't trying to make an argument, I was trying to see if I didn't know about a water proof sensered system.

I do enjoy my truck very much. From wrenching to running, I enjoy it.

RC Competitor
    Good afternoon,
    I have owned my Summit for close to a year and upgraded to the Traxxas Waterproof MXL-6S Brushless Power System and heavy duty clutch shortly after purchasing it. I take the truck on our local hiking trails will lots of rocks along the path and bashing on the beach in the dunes. I just recently took the truck completely apart to inspect everything and re-lube the diffs. There was almost no noticeable wear on the differential ring gear and pinion. I only ever run 4s and lock the diffs only really when necessary. I have never noticed any cogging when on the trails with the diffs locked running this setup. I highly recommend the upgrade if you find it in your budget!

Last edited by Hman; 03-21-2017 at 01:43 AM.

yeah why does everyone use MM2 and MMX instead of the traxxas MXL 6s? the the MM2 better? I mean they are very similar.
    SLAM!
    "That Tree jumped right in front of me"

Quote Originally Posted by Rcguy5 View Post
    yeah why does everyone use MM2 and MMX instead of the traxxas MXL 6s? the the MM2 better? I mean they are very similar.
    The MMX is sensored. Give your truck a much smoother ride. Similar to the brushed stock system but with lots more power. The MM2 and the MX L6 I believe are all Castle products also but being sensorless brushless system you will get minor cogging/ stuttering when going slow (especially when rock crawling )
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    The MMX is sensored. Give your truck a much smoother ride. Similar to the brushed stock system but with lots more power. The MM2 and the MX L6 I believe are all Castle products also but being sensorless brushless system you will get minor cogging/ stuttering when going slow (especially when rock crawling )
    This weekend I had a friend who is a fellow Summit (x2) and ERBE (X1) owner drive my Summit. He could not tell it was brushless except what he may have mistaken for high gear was low gear. He told me it drove just like the Dewalt/EVX-2 system was still installed. Comparing a brushless system's smoothness to a brushed system's is high praise.
    Again, many might not care or notice the difference. I have come to appreciate the smooth starts of sensored brushless-driven RCs.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    This weekend I had a friend who is a fellow Summit (x2) and ERBE (X1) owner drive my Summit. He could not tell it was brushless except what he may have mistaken for high gear was low gear. He told me it drove just like the Dewalt/EVX-2 system was still installed. Comparing a brushless system's smoothness to a brushed system's is high praise.
    Again, many might not care or notice the difference. I have come to appreciate the smooth starts of sensored brushless-driven RCs.
    What system you have on your summit? Tried tekin before and I like it but downside is not waterproof, been watching on the new mmx sensored combo which is also waterproof. I agree sensored setup is best upgrade if you want more top end without compromising the low end capabilities of the stock evx, for me I would never drop non sensored brushless power system in my summit, i would rather stay stock..

MMX system is not waterproof. MMX ESC is, but no claim is made for either the 1515 or the 1512 motors.
    I am running an MMX with a Hobbystar sensored motor. This motor is also NOT claimed to be waterproof.

RC Competitor
    So I guess that means that the Traxxas branded, black 2200kv motor by castle is not waterproof either ?

Traxxas have been building Summit brushed for many years. Looks like Traxxas is not recommended to have brushless system in the Summit. Because of it is crawling monster truck that come with control of lock diff and unlock diff. Brushless would blow up the drive train. If you want brushless, then go get E -Revo.

RC Competitor
    i have a brushless sensored mamba monster x esc and new sensored castle motor, i have made major improvements to the differentials for this reason, metal lem diff cups hardened spyder gears, i bars new bearings through the diffs, it defiantly makes the beast within come out i say and is great for crawling no cogging at low speed and can crawl slower than stock system also the esc is waterproof bar the fan, and the sensored motor is splash proof, as in don't go through masses of water but I've been through wet grass puddles water up to the chassis with no problems so far, the traxxas black brushless can i believe is senseless brushless same as the castle motor and they are waterproof like most sensorlesss systems

Quote Originally Posted by Dubzak View Post
    So I guess that means that the Traxxas branded, black 2200kv motor by castle is not waterproof either ?
    We were discussing Sensored motors where the Hall-effect sensors are the weak point.
    While some may consider even the sensorless brushless motors "waterproof" I do not for the sole fact that bearings exposed to water will eventually rust.

RC Competitor
    ye I've heard that before, about the bearings being accessible to water. i tend to stay away from water now since i did a river run with the xmaxx and every bearing was completely seized up. if i do go through water i give it a go trip down and wd40 the bearing in the diff, transmission and wheels at the minimum. using marine grease helps stop them seizing. but yea i think for me the assurance that the motor is at least splash proof is good enough for general bashing, it doesn't matter too much about a brushed motor which are a fraction of the cost. they are fully water proof i believe? but a $200 motor isn't worth risking.