RC Competitor

Drywall mesh + Shoe Goo VS. Duct Tape

I did one of my body reinforcement mods using the widely recommended method of shoe goo and dry wall mesh tape. Boy oh boy what a nightmare. The shoe goo sets up SUPER FAST and is extremely hard to apply thoroughly over each section. I didn't expect this stuff to dry so quick. You have to use 1.5-2 of the large tubes to coat the whole thing. Once it starts to set up, good luck spreading it around without without causing the mesh tape to come off the body. It stinks to high heaven too.

On the second body I decided to apply duct tape to the entire inside of the body. It's basically the same concept as shoegoo/drywall tape, packaged in one easy to apply strip of tape. Anyway, it worked out great. It surprises me nobody has done this? It made the entire body super rigid and didn't add much weight to the shell. I highly recommend using duct tape (slightly overlapping each strip on top Of each other as you apply it.).
    He who dies with the most toys, wins.

RC Racer
    I agree that the drywall tape and goo is a mess.

RC Qualifier
    The duct tape will be a irreversible mess after a couple of runs. It's going to peel, and leave sticky residue all over the place.

Brush on bed liner and front/back body savers...that's the ticket.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Brush on bed liner and front/back body savers...that's the ticket.
    I'm going to try this. thx!
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

I just wear cheap disposable rubber gloves when i do the shoe glue, i agree it will set up after a bit so i work in sections and dont go back over a section once done. My wife complains so much about the smell but it doesnt bother me at all.

92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph Rustler on 4s (Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Champion
    Show goo and drywall tape is meant to be more for fixing damaged bodies. Large cracks are easily fixed with it. I wouldn't use it to protect and reinforce an entire body though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    mine have always held up great. I finish with 3m rubberized undercoating

Sent from my Sig Sauer

I do bedliner on the inside and a dozen layers of plasti-sol on the exterior. No tears or breaks and when you get road rash it doesn't penetrate the plasti-sol and with a light sanding and re-coating it looks like new.

RC Qualifier
    my bodies are held together with goop (household or plumbers)
    just smear a layer or 3, (over days) inside &or outside the body over the cracks
    flexible paintable and stays stuck
    still bashing the year old body
    fabricator

How are you guys posting pictures? Are you using Photobucket? If so, I can't seem to get my Photobucket to let me use "IMG". I can only copy the link. Any ideas?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by w8liftn View Post
    I do bedliner on the inside and a dozen layers of plasti-sol on the exterior. No tears or breaks and when you get road rash it doesn't penetrate the plasti-sol and with a light sanding and re-coating it looks like new.
    Thanks for this. I'm going to give this a try.

RC Competitor
    I used drywall tape and e6000 to re-enforce my x-maxx body and my slash bodies. it takes a little time and patience but the end result comes out stiff and makes a huge difference. I've made it a habit of doing the drywall tape and e6000 on all my new bodies before I run them so I don't have any trouble in the long run. let my get some pictures of my x-maxx body. I took my time on that one and it came out pretty awesome

RC Qualifier
    Almost a waste of E6000!!
    That's stuff's fantastic for gluing tyres - much better than 'superglue' if you can wait 2 days for curing.

I find Shoe Goo runs more freely - E6000 needs more work.

Al.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    Almost a waste of E6000!!
    That's stuff's fantastic for gluing tyres - much better than 'superglue' if you can wait 2 days for curing.

I find Shoe Goo runs more freely - E6000 needs more work.

Al.
    the e6000 is awesome!!! takes a little more to work it in but the end result is much better than shoe goo and its only 2 bucks for a large tube at walmart. i have beat my slash and my x-maxx and the body would of been destroyed without this stuff!!! i have used both shoe goo and e6000 and i like the way the e6000 comes out better but each is thier own

RC Qualifier
    For the X-Maxx I would not do anything short of FibaTape and Shoe Goo. Use a thicker latex glove and keep your finger wet with water each time you spread Shoe Goo with it. I beat the living daylights out of my X-Maxx's body when it crashed on jumps. I also added other reinforcements. My other videos show how hard I have landed upside down body first off a huge jump off a skate ramp and the body did not crack at all. Here is the reinforcement that I did with mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqudkl0RV4w

Here is the video of the hardest landing on the body:

Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Qualifier
    Has anyone tried to fiberglass a body? I have some fiberglass and resin left over from fixing garage door.
    Bash it,Break it,Fix it,Rinse And Repeat

RC Competitor
    about a month ago my kid's truck got run over byba Chevy suburban.

only damage to the body is a little stretch/gouge from the aluminum shock tower

this is with drywall tape,shoo goo, and 3m rubberized undercoating

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Competitor
    I wouldn't mind trying to fiberglass a body. I think it would make it super strong. I drywalled taped and e6000 my whole body. Super strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    supporting my addiction one paycheck at a time

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdopirak View Post
    Has anyone tried to fiberglass a body? I have some fiberglass and resin left over from fixing garage door.
    It will not work well. Fiberglass will just crack in a wreck.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    It will not work well. Fiberglass will just crack in a wreck.
    Agreed. The reason E6000 or Shoe Goo work so well is that they are flexible.

I have had good luck with Gorilla Tape also. Quicker but not as durable as drywall tape and E6000.

RC Qualifier
    I finally picked up a used body for my 8S X-Maxx. Started the entire FibaTape and Shoe Goo process. I forgot how long it takes. It is halfway done at this point.

RC Enthusiast
    So, of course to each their own, but I discovered a technique by accident that has turned out to be the best accident ever. Long story short, use a caulking gun loaded with Loctite 3x professional adhesive( don't go with the 6x or 9x cuz they are way to heavy and don't spread easily). Run a nice 1/4" bead along every seam or crease in the body then use the pad of your finger to run along the bead lines which smoothes them out and packs it down in to the creases. It gives extreme rigidity with enough give to flex when needed. I have used every one of the methods above and none come close to the benefits of this method. It's lighter,tougher,and much easier/quicker to apply. Body is essentially bombproof. Saves a ton of grief!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXORCIST View Post
    So, of course to each their own, but I discovered a technique by accident that has turned out to be the best accident ever. Long story short, use a caulking gun loaded with Loctite 3x professional adhesive( don't go with the 6x or 9x cuz they are way to heavy and don't spread easily). Run a nice 1/4" bead along every seam or crease in the body then use the pad of your finger to run along the bead lines which smoothes them out and packs it down in to the creases. It gives extreme rigidity with enough give to flex when needed. I have used every one of the methods above and none come close to the benefits of this method. It's lighter,tougher,and much easier/quicker to apply. Body is essentially bombproof. Saves a ton of grief!
    Got a link so I know I'm looking at the right stuff?

Sounds like a good idea!

RC Qualifier
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by aceniza View Post
    mine have always held up great. I finish with 3m rubberized undercoating

Sent from my Sig Sauer
    I used to work testing parachutes. Before you live jump them you drop test them with a “test dummy”. I designed and had several made of steel. I took them to a body shop and had them sprayed with “RinoLiner” bed spray. I had a couple where the test canopy failed and the dummy hit the ground at about 120 mph. You could hardly see a mark on them.
    You can't fix stupid.

RC Racer
    I bought the body washers off eBay, they come in different colors and are 3D printed polyurethane I believe. They work very well but shipping takes a bit. I also used 15mm long bolts instead of the 10mm bolts but that's not needed.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightning2 View Post
    But doing the whole body in shoe goo and drywall tape on a new body, is just that enough to keep the screws from pulling through?
    I did the whole body with shoe goo and drywall tape and have had no problems with the screws pulling thru. I'm not using extra washers. Only body damage is at rear panel's lower edge, in crashes it sometimes makes contact with rear bumper's upper mounts and that causes tears to the body panel. I have added there a strip of Gorilla tape for extra protection.

RC Qualifier
    I did not have any problems with screws on my first body. I triple FibaTaped the rear bumper to prevent it cracking against the rear bumper mounts. I am going to do the same for the new 8S body I am working on.

Sorry, doing an experiment.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-25-2017 at 04:55 PM.