RC poster

Aton signal problem

Hello all, ive just signed up due to having problems with my traxxas aton, ok i brought it off ebay in mint condition the seller flew it only a few times it did come mint in the box any way i already know this can affect warrantys but im not a rich man i will get straight to the point ive had it now for just over a month and it keeps going into home mode over and over at full lipo battery half etc.. I brought this drone cus a mate has one and another mate has a phantom 4 so i fly with them, its been doing this since i got it, at first i just thought some thing aint set right ive recalibrated many times even before my 2 video, ive reinstalled firmware ive reset the controller and rebinded, i use fully charged tx batterys even tried other batterys ive brought 3x 5000 lipos, installed sd card, checked rx antenna, tryed different locations. Its took me awhile to try different tests it flys perfect if im on my own no other drones switched on but soon my mates phantom 4 powers up it can be random when my home kicks in but it dont take it long... But from what i can tell if the phamtom flys close to my aton it sets it off dont matter how close normaly seems to be in the signals path, the home and motor light go out on my controller and battery level dissappears and power light on the aton will flick off and on the same time when it gos into home mode.. It even does it if i pick up my aton whilst motors are off in standby mode and wave the aton over the phamtom 4 the controller and power light flick off and on, on the aton and controller so i tryed other way controller over the phamtom not the aton and it doesnt do it nor if i wave aton or controller around the phamtoms controller so it seems the aton either loses signal or glitchs soon its to near the phamtom 4.... But... It also has this problem when i fly with another aton but no way near as bad but i havent tryed all these tests with another aton just yet i just new it has set off my auto home but only once or twice per run where i cannot fly with a phamtom at all soon we fly up i do a trick so he can record aton just gos into home mode over and over some hard to override even stops in mid flipping etc... Ive also got one more test to try my mates controller and he uses mine to see what happens cus my mates aton hasnt done it once near me or the phamtom so something is wrong with mine but last test may help this weekend but any one else got any ideas? I hope i haven't gone on to much but i wanted to explain much as i can cus im starting to worry ive got a rx problem rather than an easy swap for new controller im adding 2 videos below i hope they show what i mean.

https://youtu.be/uLkxAFvJJ_o
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-17-2017 at 03:54 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I would say the Aton is picking up signal interference from other drones and issuing a RTH.....

RC Qualifier
    Hello,

Sorry you are having problems. It might need service. I think you should call Traxxas support and discuss the issue with them. They really stand behind their products and so I am sure they will take care of you.

Larry

RC poster
    Hello, i rung logic rc they said i have to pay to it be looked at but after all my tests i finnally tryed my mates controller and it worked fine with the phamtom 4 next to it, we rrally tryed to set off the RTH, and it wouldnt just like my mates aton, but my mate didnt want to try my controller but my atonjust went back to the problem soon i rebinded my controller so ive ordered new controller from model sport now just waiting for it to come from supplier and this should sort the problem as it worked perfect with my mates aton controller binded to it, hopfully problem sovled due to faulty controller...

RC Qualifier
    If you are in the United States, Traxxas could probably help you. Maybe it's too expensive to ship it to them from outside the US.
    I hope that controller fixes it.

Larry

RC Competitor
    It may not help you because you already ordered a controller but to anyone else reading this Traxxas support is incredible, I would bet they would've diagnosed your problem replace the controller and shipped it all back to you for free but that's just a guess based on my previous experience with them from my things.

RC Competitor
    Also find the USA manual for the controller , when it goes into return to home mode there are different beeps for different causes whether it's low battery, interference geo-fence breach... different beep patterns for different things

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by boostpsi View Post
    Also find the USA manual for the controller , when it goes into return to home mode there are different beeps for different causes whether it's low battery, interference geo-fence breach... different beep patterns for different things
    Ahh thank you that may help if i run into any more problems, i just received my new controller today, binded and works fine but i need to test when im out with my mates, not good having a drone i cant fly around other drones... And larry i brought the aton off ebay i the uk, logic rc said i would have to pay to get it looked at because i didnt purchase the item, i do know when it was purchased last year in march the seller sent me copy of invoice from model sport when i asked a few weeks ago it was over a year by 1 week any way, fingers crossed its fully solved the problem so i can fully enjoy the aton, i will give u guys a last update when i fully know its fixed.. Looks like its only my aton with this fault so far..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth39 View Post
    And larry i brought the aton off ebay i the uk, logic rc said i would have to pay to get it looked at because i didnt purchase the item, i do know when it was purchased last year in march the seller sent me copy of invoice from model sport when i asked a few weeks ago it was over a year by 1 week
    Hello Gareth,

Hopefully your problems are all in the past. If not, next time call or email Traxxas directly. Don't bother with Logic RC. Maybe even Traxxas will tell you they can't help you (because of ebay, time, etc.). But I'll bet you $10 they won't say that to you and instead they will help you. There aren't many companies who stand behind their products the way Traxxas does. It won't hurt to try.

Best of luck!

Larry

RC poster
    You know now that I read this I think I'm having same issue. My buddy and I both have mavic pros. I bring my Aton when I fly. This is the second time flying with him that my Aton returns home when I launch it. And my Aton battery is full but starts blinking. Really strange cause I have flown it allone with no problems. But I also have a issue with flips. I hit the button then move joystick and won't flip.i have gone into traxxas app and tryed that way. But nothing. Will be calling traxxas

RC poster
    I have had the same problem on 2 different occasions. The first time it happen to me, Aton would keep returning home randomly and the flip button stopped working also, I installed a new set of batteries in the controller and everything was fixed.(note the battery indicator on the controller still showed they were charged, but it was not enough to meet the demands and this caused the RTH) When flying in cold weather,in the teen's with cold batteries (that were left in the car over night) Aton would power up the 4 green lights, as soon as you take off it goes to RTH and the battery indicator says it's dead when its returning,after landing the battery indicator would go to 100% after multiple attempts the same thing continued to happen.I took all of the batteries inside to let them warm up a while(about 3-4 hours, I went back outside and everything was OK.I now keep all the batteries in a separate bag, it gets carried in the house every day, the Aton only stays in the car all the time.Lesson learned.