RC Racer

New 2085x servo on the way

The new 2085x servo upgrade for the xmaxx is available through Traxxas now. I just blew through my v1's servo tonight so, I needed a replacement. It will ship tomorrow 3-21-17 so I may have it in this weekend for a full review and comparison to the v2 stock. Not glad I have to replace it, not happy about the price, but happy there is finally a drop in option for us.

The new all steel servo has 23% more torque and new linkage with a stiffer spring in the kit. The price is up there at 120 and won't hit the stores for a while according to the rep that helped me. He said price would likely be less through retailers when they come out.

I thought maybe the new v2 came with the 2085x but it does not. Strictly upgrade part. I will likely rebuild my v1 servo with upgraded parts for a spare to have in the toolkit. Happy bashing!

RC Competitor
    Interested in the review. as my 3 week old xmaxx has suffered its first servo failure. It just runs won't turn. Traxxas is sending me the rebuild kit. However I may spring for the 2085x.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymullen View Post
    The new all steel servo has 23% more torque and new linkage with a stiffer spring in the kit.
    This is the info that I was waiting to hear. That sucks that you have to replace yours, though. I also am looking forward to your review once you get it installed. Either way I'm sure I won't spring for one until it hits the retailers at a better price.

RC Champion
    I was thinking today the Xmaxx is the only traxxas model that is great out of the box. My servo seemed to have decent power.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    i upgraded my steering servo to a savox sb-2290sg black edition. but i am worried about the servo saver since its the stock one on my v1 xmaxx. might look into this part i do plan making a second truck from scratch.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    I was thinking today the Xmaxx is the only traxxas model that is great out of the box. My servo seemed to have decent power.

Mine had/has great power but plastic gears have never served me very well.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by montego650 View Post
    Mine had/has great power but plastic gears have never served me very well.
    I didn't realize the stock was plastic gears.. not sure what traxxas was thinking there. All the other traxxas servos I found were garbage.. I thought this seemed to be ok.

Is it an oversized servo? I was thinking about a ti gear brushless hitec servo once the stock quit

RC Champion
    Trx 7749 is a traxxas part that allows installation of a std servo. Seen a few people on here ask about that.

Awesome. Let us know what you think. My factory V1 servo is still holding up but seems sloppy.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    Awesome. Let us know what you think. My factory V1 servo is still holding up but seems sloppy.
    Yes, my stock servo was sloppy and not turning all the way. Made it through the bash session drove up to the door step and it gave out. Have not yet seen the tracking number today. Most likely will be next week I would guess.

RC poster
    Yeah, my servo decided to puke up it's guts yesterday. pretty crappy goo-y plastic chunks :0... Customer service was awesome as usual, but I was hoping to get an option to upgrade to the new x servo! Even a 10% discount would have been great!

Has the servo come in yet? Waiting on your feedback before buying.........

RC Enthusiast
    I'm also waiting on this review. The part is sitting in my cart waiting for a good review so that I can hit the purchase button.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlwoods65 View Post
    I'm also waiting on this review. The part is sitting in my cart waiting for a good review so that I can hit the purchase button.
    Same here, too funny!

RC Racer
    Sorry about the delay. The shipping is slow. Should arrive Monday. I will get the truck torn down tonight and hopefully up and running Monday night. Given the options we have for a servo in this truck and being waterproof with the drop in install it seems like a no brainer.

Traxxas Employee
    You will like it a lot. It's a combination of all three parts. It's nice to have more torque, but the stiffer servo saver spring makes a big difference. The adjustable link gives you more precise alignment also. Run any one item and you won't notice a huge difference. Run all three and you get much more precise control and steering authority. Steering feels sharper and even a little faster just because the stiffer spring and higher torque take out some of the slack.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the review and info. It should meet my needs well as long as it lasts a good long time.

RC Racer
    Can you get the spring seperate?

RC Racer
    I ordered mine today from Traxxas and it has shipped already to as a bonus!!! I can't wait, I used the adapter and put an aftermarket high torque metal gear servo in but steering has suffered ever since. The 2085x will solve my problems from what I've read.
    Open every day....

RC Qualifier
    Does the V2 come with the X servo? I got a Snap On version not sure if it has the regular or metal geared servo. Thanks!

No. I have a V1 w/8s upgrade, V2, and Snap-On. All have the same servo. This one is an upgrade.

RC Racer
    Got it! I have another project I started so will install sometime this week. Doing up a Proline Raptor body with an all American theme.

Got it! I have another project I started so will install sometime this week. Doing up a Proline Raptor body with an all American theme.

why you gotta tease, get that thing in there....make it happen.
    Fear the Power!
    X-Maxx 8S Rules!

RC Racer
    Got some time today and installed the new servo. Install is as you would expect very straight forward direct fit.

My stock servo had the output shaft gear bearing seize and that is why the gears failed. It may say waterproof but the bearing in either the stock or the new 2085x are susceptible to corrosion. Another routine area to service if running in a wet environment.

It feels a little heavier than the stock servo and looks to be the same case and heatsink. It sounds a little different than the servo in my v2. I noticed it has a good range of full lock to lock travel and it is quick. Turning radius is improved. Sharp and crisp input. I would say that it is fast as my v2 servo. I bench tested both trucks with the same batteries. Other than noise they seem very similar on the bench. I held the front wheels with my hand to test the torque difference(pretty scientific). There is a difference in the torque. Not a huge oh my god difference but you can tell it has some more twist.

It drives nice with the new spring and control arm. The new spring is taller other than that it looks similar.

Jumping seemed more stable with less notable wheel shake up front. Overall happy with the new servo. I will wait for the x parts to be released and rebuild my stock servo. The price now seems steep but eliminating future hassles seems worth it.

RC Racer
    And a peek at the Proline Raptor body in progress.

RC Competitor
    @jay thanks for the servo update! Btw, you did a fantastic job painting the Raptor body.
    He who dies with the most toys, wins.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 0dark3rt View Post
    @jay thanks for the servo update! Btw, you did a fantastic job painting the Raptor body.
    Thank you my brother! When you get a chance I would like to pick your brain on your red bull design.

RC Competitor
    I installed the new upgraded servo yesterday and just had a chance to run it and what a difference. The original servo was still working but very weak and the truck took turns like a big boat. The first minute or two I flip it twice becasue I was used to the old servo. Great upgrade Traxxas it is what the truck needed.

Not a huge oh my God difference, but you can tell it has some more twist.
    That's a lot of money for a servo, but from what you are saying in your report it sounds like it's well worth it.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-01-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer
    I too installed and ran a few packs through my new 2085x and have to say it's awesome!! Traxxas got it right. I was turning J7's off road and it had no problem. It's all the servo I'm going to need. The price will come down soon and I am sure an aftermarket company will make a servo drop in ready but for now I recommend the 2085x for anybody needing a great servo....
    Open every day....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    That's a lot of money for a servo, but from what you are saying in your report it sounds like it's well worth it.
    I did not price out the Savox option? Direct fit plug and play was attractive. The Traxxas rep did say that when the LHS gets them price will be lower. I would bet 20-30 bucks. That makes it a good price for performance. My only gripe is the bearing on the output shaft on my stock was torched. I could tell that moisture was an issue and it could be an issue with the new. Not waterproof. A shot of WD40 just behind the horn when wet conditions might crop up may help keep moisture in check. I will likely pull the top cap off of it every month or so to check the condition. It is a pain but, for a 100 bucks to replace it would be worth it.

I wonder with others that replaced their servo with slow action if they too are actually having the same bearing issue. Bearing starts to get bad and performance suffers. Slow action, lazy turns, etc. Then ultimately, bearing failure leads to the gear damage. The warning signs were there for me, I just missed it. Hind sight...

I'm wondering if the torque gain in the new x servo is nothing more than a gearing reduction in the servo with the same stock motor. Next time I inspect the new x servo I will compare the motors in the servo. Given the same configuration of the two I'm not convinced a stronger high torque motor was developed to fit in the same space, or it could be done. So, a possible stock servo with a redesigned metal gear set for increased torque would be what I theorize at this point.

Traxxas Employee
    My bell cranks were definitely dirty, but the bearings were in good working order. I've never run my X-Maxx in water. Anytime you clean out the bell crank you will probably notice a slight improvement, but the 2085X made a huge change in my steering authority.
    Last edited by TireSlinger; 04-03-2017 at 12:36 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thank you my brother! When you get a chance I would like to pick your brain on your red bull design.
    No problem. Shoot me a message any time
    He who dies with the most toys, wins.

RC Enthusiast
    I just read this thread and there seems to be a difference of opinion on whether the original XMaxx and the version 2 8S XMaxx had the same exact servo. On my original XMaxx, the server failed in the first 15 minutes of use. I replaced the gears with metal gears and it worked great. Does anyone know with 100% certainty that the servos are the same or if there is in fact a difference. I want to purchase another set of Metal gears as it's a cheap upgrade and well worth the money and time it takes to fix the servo.

Traxxas called me back: The servo is identical. Also, traxxas has received more reports of servo failures on the 8S than the 6S so the servo upgrade is recommended.
    Last edited by fidelity007; 04-12-2017 at 10:30 AM.

I'll add another 2085X endorsement. Installed on all three of mine and made a huge difference. I'm running stock 8S tires on all three, nothing fancy in the tire department though. Sounds like it works better with all tires though.

Cheapest I found was $89.99 with free shipping on fleabay.