Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Competitor

8S Xmaxx spur gear issue

Lets just start off by saying two things. I am not bashing Traxxas and im more than sure they will make this right. Anyways, I bought my new 8S xmaxx two weeks ago. When I first got it, I changed the gearing to the "speed gears". Finally, today, i had time to run it. I was playing around in the street with it on 8S with my 5 year old nephew so there was no bashing. All of a sudden, it made a loud pop noise and wouldnt run anymore. I assumed it was the spur gear, but didnt have my tools. Once i got home, I tore it apart and to my surprise I found a very much busted spur, pinion, chewed up driveshaft, chewed up kush drive housing and some other pieces that were shredded due to the spur gear. The run time on this grand trip was only about 8 minutes of on road running only. Now, I have owned the 6s version since it first came out (I was the very first to buy one at my LHS). The reason I wanted the 8s was the "bulletproof" drive train and metal gears. I kept busting ring gears on my 6s version and not really driving it that hard.

[/URL]

RC Qualifier
    Well
    Sad to say;
    The same thing happened on my Xmaxx
    fabricator

impressive! you didn't hear any teeth let go first? looks like it chewed some teeth off then one got wedged in between the pinion/spur and since the motor shaft and transmission shaft don't move the spur exploded. crazy.
    rizzodtheRCvlogger - www.youtube.com/user/rizz0d

RC Qualifier
    It was running good ,like stated above
    a pop was heard
    runit breakit fixit repeat
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    The only noise i heard was my inner kid screaming and yelling from excitement LOL.. This thing is an absolute MONSTER! Im going to call traxxas today and see what they will do for me. I was really upset that all i got was 8 minutes run time on my new $900 truck, but im definitely not new to this hobby so I know stuff happens.

Ka-Boom...Sorry to hear.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Competitor
    I called Traxxas earlier. The guy told me that im 1 of 3 confirmed cases and that theyre keeping a close eye on the issue. He proceeded to tell me that I needed to take the truck apart and check the entire drive line for damage and they will 100% cover any and all busted and chewed up parts. Talk about customer support! I own a small business and I stand behind my work 100% and its nice to know that Traxxas does the same.

RC Competitor
    I called about this earlier last week. I had the speed gears in. Drove it up and down my paved driveway 3 times. Said wow this is fast let's go to the road and on my way to the road it let go. Took out the spur and pinion. Made a mess of the driveshaft and plastic around the spur. Buggered up the mush drive end. They have gears on the way.
    So far I've driven 6 or 7 full packs and had an esc go and spur gear. Sucks having to wait on parts. And then traxxas sends the gears ups. Send then usps in a padded envelope it would have been faster. But no let's us ups. I'm sure they get a discount but waiting blows.

RC Competitor
    You must have been the other guy he was telling me about. It does suck to wait, but the truth is. No other company will give you any kind of customer service like this in the RC world.

RC Racer
    thats why i stuck with traxxas as long as you dont do anything obviously wrong as in jump the truck 50 feet or driving it into trees and break parts that way. they'll most likely replace the parts . traxxas replaced my receiver and 2 3s 5000mah batteries to me it shows that they care for there costumers and stand by there products.

RC Competitor
    This isnt my first rodeo with Traxxas. Ive had them off and on for the last 10 years. Any time I called customer service, i was taken care of. In fact, when the guy told me to take my truck apart and figure out what else is broken that isnt obvious, that was a whole different level of customer service.

RC poster
    The same thing happened to my truck. I decided to go with new Integy billet 18t pinion and a 46 spur but I noticed that the pinion gear is really getting chewed up. The teeth on it look like they are half worn. For now it. I'm just gonna run it till it finishes stripping the teeth off. But does anyone have a solution for this? Or maybe a better brands of gears I can go with?

Also, before I had the teeth explode the first time I was having an issue with the pinion slipping off constantly. Now, I'm still having the issue with the Integy unit. I have tried loctite and letting it sit from hours to days at times when I was waiting for a new esc to come in the mail.(yeah mine blew up too.) anyone have a solution to this problem either? At this point I'm getting ready to drill a hole straight through the shaft to keep the thing from coming off. It's very frustrating when your out just trying to have some fun and that thing comes off.

*Traxxas has a strict language policy, refrain from using such language in the future*
    Last edited by Double G; 04-30-2017 at 12:15 PM.

RC Competitor
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ying-spur-gear

And here, too. Something with the design? This seems too common of a problem.

This has me very hesitant about getting one.

RC poster
    So this is the stock 18t 46t gears.

RC poster
    This is the Billet Integy gear. It has some bad wear but at least it didn't explode. I set it using the guide pins that traxxas put on these truck but I suspect the mesh I still wrong. Only the pinion did this, the spur is in perfect shape.

I'm not sure what to try next. Idk if I should just but a couple more Integy pinions to keep around. Should I change the gear ratio back to 18t 54t? Should I go back to stock traxxas gears? What do you guys think?

RC Qualifier
    Stock replacement parts on hand - make for a good day
    you got your monies worth from integy
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    my buddy has the exact same issue. first traxxas sent him both brand new pinion and spur gears. it happened again within a day of installing. he ended up sending the entire truck to traxxas and has been fine since. note he beats the crap out of the truck too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Traxxas sent me any and all parts to resolve this issue. My next run out the exact same thing happened again. I even made sure the mesh was set correctly this time to be sure. IDK what the deal is, but instead of bothering Traxxas I just ordered the Kershaw pinion and spur. Ive yet to try them out. Owning a business is extremely time consuming LOL

RC Competitor
    ive been wanting to try the 46 tooth spur but im afraid it will explode again and i dont fell like buying parts.

RC Qualifier
    I personally think the pin system is not correctly setting the mesh for the 18/46 gear set up. I have shattered 4 46spur gears. Not one 54 spur gear. When I use the pin system it looks to me like its only touching 25% of the total teeth area when pins are in the E location for 18/46, when they are in the I location for 18/54 it covers around %60ish of the total teeth. But again this is what I personally see with my truck.
    Bash it,Break it,Fix it,Rinse And Repeat

RC Competitor
    Yea, i just looked at my setup last night when I installed my Kershaw gears. The mesh was WAY WAY WAY too big. I took the pins out and set it myself.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdopirak View Post
    I personally think the pin system is not correctly setting the mesh for the 18/46 gear set up. I have shattered 4 46spur gears. Not one 54 spur gear. When I use the pin system it looks to me like its only touching 25% of the total teeth area when pins are in the E location for 18/46, when they are in the I location for 18/54 it covers around %60ish of the total teeth. But again this is what I personally see with my truck.
    Maybe you could try a 19 or 20 tooth pinion to see if it meshes better.

I just stripped some teeth off of the 46 tooth steel spur gear on my 8S that I am running on 6S batteries. LHS only has plastic ones in stock. Traxxas is sending me a new spur and pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    that makes sense if its wrong . why else would it shatter in such a short period but ive never busted a 54 tooth spur , hmm . Traxxas can you comment on this ???

RC Competitor
    I also think that the inward and outward play of the kush drive shaft has something to do with it as well. It moves almost 1/8'' in and out. I set my pinion depth to have full contact with the spur no matter if the shaft moves full forward or rearward. IDK if it will help or not. I dont have many places to run the xmaxx so It is a shelf queen.

RC Qualifier
    Can you shim the cush-drive so it doesn't move as much?

Al.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas is sending me a few different pinion and spur gears to see if the mesh is any better using the pin system and different gear set ups.

Honestly the reason I been sticking with the 18t pinion is because as stated above by others the Cush drive has so much play when I look at other pinions none traxxas the width of the teeth is like half as much, and with the Cush drive play I'm afraid it will work its way off or shrewd pinions and spurs from not having enough contact area width wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    Go for a GDS spur/pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    Go for a GDS spur/pinion.
    I saw them, I was thinking about trying them out or kershaw.

RC Competitor
    I have the Kershaw now. Their spur gear is wider than the stock xmaxx gear, but their pinion gear is a little more narrow. However, the material is far better. Atleast, its almost double the weight of stock stuff (no real measurement to support that. Only feel)

RC Competitor
    Same thing that happened to my 18P/46S.

The traxxas gears are made of brittle junk metal:

Been running GDS 21P/50S since and not had a single issue with them. The GDS gears are much tougher!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobied77 View Post
    Same thing that happened to my 18P/46S.

The traxxas gears are made of brittle junk metal:

Been running GDS 21P/50S since and not had a single issue with them. The GDS gears are much tougher!
    Watch it you might get your hand slapped for saying a traxxas part is junk. Lol!

How are you liking the speed with 21/50? I only run 6s and I was happy with the speed of 18/46. Untill they shatter that is. So as the person from traxxas suggested I want to mess around with gearing to find something close speed wise.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdopirak View Post
    Watch it you might get your hand slapped for saying a traxxas part is junk. Lol!

How are you liking the speed with 21/50? I only run 6s and I was happy with the speed of 18/46. Untill they shatter that is. So as the person from traxxas suggested I want to mess around with gearing to find something close speed wise.
    21/50 is slightly faster than 18/46 on 8S that is. I really like it.

Definitely go for the GDS gears if your going to change.

Well worth it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobied77 View Post
    21/50 is slightly faster than 18/46 on 8S that is. I really like it.

Definitely go for the GDS gears if your going to change.

Well worth it!

Do you have any heat issues with that set up? When I ran 18/46 on 6s in the grass at the park or on the beach it got up to 160degrees in 15-20ish min.

And did you use pin system or did you take the pins out and set it your self?

RC Competitor
    Used the pin system.

160f is fine no problem.

Traxxas says your good up to 200f!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    Can you shim the cush-drive so it doesn't move as much?
    That movement comes from cush drive's internal metal part. The slot where the axle pins goes is too tall and you can't easily shim it, at least not with shim washers. There is maybe 0.2mm of free play inside the cush drive that you can shim with a 6x0.2mm washer but there still is about 1mm of movement left after that..

Looks like it was designed to have this much free movement, not sure why. Is there some good reason for it?

RC Racer
    This appears to be from harmonics, often over looked. Ever notice how the spur gear can move front to back (when installed) +/-3mm? This creates 2 types of vibrations, Orbital and Axial.
    de oppresso liber

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas sent me 50t spur and a new pinion . I did 3 jumps off the dock at work and the gears shattered. I'm buying kershaw or gds gears and setting the mesh my self from now on that pin system is a joke. I jumped it all day long 3-5ft of air with the 18/54 set up with no problems as soon as I change it to another spur it shatters.

Last edited by Jdopirak; 05-17-2017 at 12:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Trust me, buy the GDS ones. Saves you from dealing with Kershaw too!

Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    Trust me, buy the GDS ones. Saves you from dealing with Kershaw too!
    Where do you buy the GDS ones?
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC poster
    has anyone check the play in the spur gear before they take the first run??
    here is mine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAncKY8gqU

can some one tell me if this is OK?

just out of the box never used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast