Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    The longitudinal play was terrible - I've built mine up from option parts where possible and it does have some, but nothing like that.
    Ovalled spur - lateral play against the pinion - seen that loads of times on my E-Maxx.

Keep us posted.

Al.

RC Qualifier
    Ebay for the GDS stuff

Do you know of anyone other than Kershaw that has the 8mm bore pinions? Ebay doesn't seem to be a friend for this.
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC Competitor
    one thing to check is the motor mount is nice and tight from the bottom of the chassis as well... and that area isn't damaged...

might try these to help reinforce that area:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7759

RC Qualifier
    I ended up buying 54/46 spur gears,18t and 21t pinions from kershaw
    And I bought 50/46t spur gears, 20 and 22t pinions from gds. I'm sick of going out for a bash session with my son and 10 min into it jumping it shatters spur gears with the exception of 18/54 set up not had one problem. So I bought something from both companies to try them out.

I'm also going to dimple the output shaft on the motor the pinion pops loose from time to time when jumping a lot.

Next week I'm going to buy a new motor mount either the kershaw one so I can manually adjust it my self or an aluminum one from another after market company to see if that helps.
    Last edited by Jdopirak; 05-18-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    Bash it,Break it,Fix it,Rinse And Repeat

RC poster
    My 54T spur split in 3 places, removing all of its teeth & also damaged the pinion teeth on the factory gears.
    This was on the 3rd set of 8S batteries while operating in the grass.

How is everyone going about checking/setting gear clearance?
    The notebook paper is a crude way.... anyone use pin gauges or something more accurate?
    Lonnie

RC Qualifier
    My kershaw spur and pinions came in.

The 46t kershaw is wider than the traxxas spur and is noticeably heavier.
    The 18t pinion is 7.45mm wide where as the traxxas 18t pinion is 9.15mm wide
    The 21t kershaw pinion is only 6mm wide the metals a deffenitly different from the traxxas I will be installing everything tommorw night and will update how they hold up.

With the pinions being skinnier it makes me worry about the Cush drive play I'm trying to figure out a way to eliminate the back and forth play, I was thinking a washer on the bearing and a small spring pushing against the cush drive to hold it in place.

Traxxas 46t spur

Kershaw 46t spur

RC Qualifier
    So I installed the gears today 21/46 using the pin system location B. Tighten it all down took a look the gear mesh looked good. Went out did some speed runs on smc 3s 9000mah extreme packs not fully charged it ran 37.6 mph. Did a few wheelies than ran on my jump 2 times very light jumps maybe got 3ft of air. Brought it back in so maybe 10min run took the cover off and it looks like the meshing opened up. There is more spacing in between the pinion and spur gear now. I rechecked the motor mount bolts where tight and the cover for the Cush drive shaft, all tight. It already started to wear my kershaw spur. I'm at a loss here.

And I understand the kershaw spur has a coating on it that wears off if you look closely you can see the points on the spur are starting to bend.

Meshing before the run

Meshing after the run

Wear on spur
    Last edited by Jdopirak; 05-23-2017 at 06:42 PM.

dumb question, no play in the motor shaft? are you're motor bearings okay?

the shaft the spur gear is on, is it straight as well?
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC poster
    Jdopirak
    what did you use to Lube the gears?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneflorida View Post
    Jdopirak
    what did you use to Lube the gears?
    This run I did not put any grease on the gears because I knew I was going to tear it apart. But usually I use this grease I got from a company that makes aftermarket performance uprgrades for power wheels and this was the grease they recommend to pack the gear boxs with when you add metal gears to power wheels gear boxs. It's really tacky so it sticks to the gears well but not thick enough to cause drag.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post

There is a little back and forth play but no side to side. It has had the back and forth play sense I got it brand new.

I just took pinion off and ran the motor it looks straight. I'll take a video and put it in YouTube real quick

Sorry for crappy quality idk what to do I have it set to highest quality and it looks clear on my iPhone 5s but for whatever reason it looks bad on YouTube

https://youtu.be/_GdArVaV9vs

I forgot to add in the video that it doesn't make sense that the mesh is good before a run and my after. I'm at the point where I need to start replacing parts till something fixes it.
    Last edited by Jdopirak; 05-23-2017 at 07:23 PM.

RC Competitor
    Buy a tub of mobile 1 synthetic grease and you are good to go for a very long time.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post

I was thinking the same thing.... something is no longer concentric. I would start by opening up the motor and check both bearings along with the mating parts on the spur side.

You can even see it on the wear pattern on the spur gear tooth....

by reviewing the video, the shaft seems okay, but this might not show a bearing issue...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by welfareboy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.... something is no longer concentric. I would start by opening up the motor and check both bearings along with the mating parts on the spur side.

You can even see it on the wear pattern on the spur gear tooth....

by reviewing the video, the shaft seems okay, but this might not show a bearing issue...
    Does your motor sound like mine without a pinion on it? My other smaller motors 3500kv sound much smoother .

RC Qualifier
    Have you stripped a thread in the motor mounts. For that much movement in the mesh something must be loose. Are the bearings that hold the spur gear shaft OK and the top bulkhead and cover tightened down?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightning2 View Post
    Well I've gone on 3 hard bashing sessions now on the 18/46 stock Traxxas gears. Installed the 46t right out of the box and set the mesh myself with paper, not the pin system. Been holding up solid.
    i installed 21/46 kershaw pinion and spur. And set the mesh manually just like you and jumped it off my new jump getting around 6-8ft of air maybe more and havent had a single problem. But that was only one session than my esc took a dump i should be getting my motor and esc back on friday so i want to get some more time on the new set up this weekend.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdopirak View Post
    i installed 21/46 kershaw pinion and spur. And set the mesh manually just like you and jumped it off my new jump getting around 6-8ft of air maybe more and havent had a single problem. But that was only one session than my esc took a dump i should be getting my motor and esc back on friday so i want to get some more time on the new set up this weekend.
    Is that on 8S?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobied77 View Post
    Is that on 8S?
    Nope I'm only running 6s on a 8s truck

RC Competitor
    Nope I'm only running 6s on a 8s truck
    Why only 6s?

I run the same gearing but on 8s.

Much more fun!

RC Qualifier
    Why only 6s?

I run the same gearing but on 8s.

Much more fun!
    My yard is not that big for one and it did 37mph with that gearing on 6s thats plenty fast for me personally. Now with that being said i will end up buying 4s battery's at some point but not for awhile, maybe in 2 or 3 months from now.

RC Competitor
    My yard is not that big for one and it did 37mph with that gearing on 6s thats plenty fast for me personally. Now with that being said i will end up buying 4s battery's at some point but not for awhile, maybe in 2 or 3 months from now.
    Yeah I know what you mean.

A lot of the time my throttle is only half way or so but I guess that also keeps the run times a little longer too.

Yeah I know what you mean.

A lot of the time my throttle is only half way or so but I guess that also keeps the run times a little longer too.
    You can go half throttle? Must be nice, lol!
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus001 View Post
    You can go half throttle? Must be nice, lol!
    Lol

Yeah half throttle 21/46 on 8s is an achievement!

I didn't know an XMAXX had half throttle lol
    I only go half throttle if I want to flip it on it's roof. :P
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC poster
    I upgraded to 8s via the kit. Never had any problems till this week. Chipped the rear diff ring gear and axle pinion, replaced the ring gear and axle pinion. Started hearing a higher pitch when getting near top speeds. Same noise only worse today, then thought my motor pinion came loose, no acceleration. Way worse, pinion shaved down to almost nothing, metal 54 spur chipped to shreds not as bad as some in this thread, but ruined. I noticed a worn spot on the driveshaft directly under the the spur gear, (where the driveshaft runs through the chassis) I changed to old stock plastic 54 tooth spur, (it fits on the 8s post and bearings) and a new 15 tooth pinion. Within 10 minutes high pitch noise returned and checking the spur, it's chipped and shaved down a bit, looks to be rubbing the driveshaft. I think that's the problem, driveshaft contacting the spur, I have a worn spot inside the spur case on the bottom. If it's rubbing there, it's probably also touching the driveshaft, damaging the spur. Chain reaction, it then eats up the pinion
    Last edited by Lou1ed0gg; 06-09-2017 at 09:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    This is mine, with 46t spur (metal), 31t pinion, after quite a lot of use - happy with (lack of obvious) wear.

It's an aftermarket spur, and a Kershaw pinion. 8S into X524 Toro 910 KV motor.
    Virtually ZERO end play - really nice motor.
    I noticed the spur moves a little, and being 46t it's smaller than the 'cooling vanes', so that's why I have the pinion a little on the 'motor side' to cover possible movement.

Al.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys, new Xmaxx 8s owner here. Just to be clear, the gear issues you guys are having are only with the included optional speed gear correct? I should be fine with stock gearing setup out of the box? Because I am getting some stuttering issues when pulling WOT from a dead stop.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by norazi-j View Post
    Hey guys, new Xmaxx 8s owner here. Just to be clear, the gear issues you guys are having are only with the included optional speed gear correct? I should be fine with stock gearing setup out of the box? Because I am getting some stuttering issues when pulling WOT from a dead stop.
    Sounds like your batteries are not up to the task...or a bad connector on motor esc or battery...,
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster

Post Spur and pinion problems

I have been thru 4 sets of pinion and spur gear. It's almost like the mesh isn't correct. Traxxas sent me a new speed gear and pinion. I install this morning let set screw and lock tight for over 6hrs because I have had problems with it slipping off.. well as soon as I took it for a test run pop... Spur and pinion tore up.. Can anyone help..

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forum.

What were you doing when they broke? Gunning it in high traction surfaces? Jumping? I have only bust one so far in 9 mths of ownership and that was the other day and i'm sure it was because I hit the throttle as I landed a jump. So my fault really.

- Check the mesh when the gears are set. You can see it clearly looking through the bulkhead
    - Make sure the motor mount screws are tight (Not over tight so ya strip em)

Take the first run easy and the recheck its all still seated nicely.

RC poster
    My 8s Xmaxx acts like it is in neutral. Is this possibly the issue?

RC poster
    Yes, join the club! I have an HR hardened steel 54 to spur gear. And I am now on my second hardened steel pinion gear. One was an HPI and the other was a tekno! In addition to both of these I have busted the original spur and Pinion and a replacement set that Traxxas had sent me! When my original spur gear exploded it busted the dust cover off ripping out the screw holes from my lower bulkhead. And the whole thing had to be replaced. I love my Xmaxx when it is running OK. But I have also suffered the ESC failure and my XMaxx has been a $1200 headache

RC poster
    Manually set your gear mesh yourself with paper.
    Can you please explain in detail or what you mean by setting the mash with paper? Should I match them to the point the paper will not come out? Or barely slide in?

RC poster
    I sent my truck back to Traxxas which cost me $70 from Ohio!! Only to run my truck for less than 15 minutes and completely strip my pinion gear of every single tooth. Not to mention the fact they put a 15 tooth gear in place of my 18 tooth to slow my truck down a whopping 8 mph!!!😡 I will say my ESC was replaced free of charge. My gears were replaced along with lower bulkhead. And this last time a set of gears and a new motor because the shaft was bent, was all replaced free of charge. However, it did not fix the problem! When I called back and spoke with one of the technicians named Mike. I was told that the only way to bend the shaft of the motor was due to landing jumps with too much throttle or too much break applied. And was told that everyone including myself having this issue Was because of inexperience not a malfunction of the truck. So I replaced my gears to the 18-46 combo and the mesh was so poor using the pin system that it shredded the spur gear immediately. When I sent a picture of a Traxxas 46 tooth spur gear and a techno 18 tooth pinion gear, I was told that because the pinion gear was not a Traxxas and was made smaller they were unable to help me with the meshing problem! I talked to them at 2 o'clock on Thursday and did not receive a reply until 9 o'clock Friday.

RC poster
    Also, when I sent my truck back to Traxxas. They said the mesh was not correct because there were no pins in the motor mount system. I could see that possibly being a reason the motor shaft was bent much more so than everyone in this thread and myself being too inexperienced to drive this truck! I'm just getting frustrated with the whole thing!

RC poster
    Alright so just take a piece of loose leaf paper and fold it in half. Stick it in between the pinion and spur. Push the motor towards the spur while you tighten down the motor. Push the truck backwards to release the paper upwards. Just give the truck a quick push on the floor to make sure there's no binding. If there is just make the paper a little thicker. But folding loose leaf has always been good for me.

I've set my mesh like this since the beginning before even driving the truck with changing multiple gear ratios. Even using the stock Traxxas gears. And have never had a problem.
    And I handset a fairly tight mash the same way but did not use a piece of paper.I still have disintegrated the Traxxas spur gear and busted her one tooth off of a hardened steel Pinion made by techno. Before I install the pinion and had a good spur gear in there I could feel some drag when I pushed the truck. Just in one spot. I have a video that I sent Traxxas I had the pinion gear on but the mesh was not set yet so they were not making contact. Could I have something damaged in my lower drive train that Traxxas has missed

RC poster
    So the pans have nothing to do with keeping the motor in the play? They are only to send the message of the gears?

RC poster
    Super sorry to keep messaging but....... I have the Cush drive pulled out and there is no drag! When I have Cush drive installed without pinion gear, there is a lot of drag in one spot!! No Cush.... very smooth....cush installed.... Visual and auditory drag!! Any suggestions on what could be wrong with the Cush drive assembly?

RC poster
    Sorry about the one message being so messed up. It was supposed to say so the pins have nothing to do with keeping the motor in place? They are strictly there to set the mesh of the gears?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast